1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Holy Kiss

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by timothy 1769, Sep 20, 2003.

1. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Romans 16:16
    Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.

1Corinthians 16:20
    All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.

2Corinthians 13:12
    Greet one another with an holy kiss.

1Thessalonians 5:26
    Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.

Shouldn't we all be kissing each other?

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Middle eastern people have traditionally greeted each other with a kiss on the cheek, sometimes three kisses alternating cheeks. Teh "Holy kiss" is a cultural thing. The western equivalent is probably something like a warm handshake, or maybe a hug. I usually greet people with a warm handshake, though on occasion with certain people it is a hug.

3. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

That's pretty much what i've thought too, but I was reading an Apostolic Christian Church (an Anabaptist group) website and they pointed out that:

1) Paul was instructing western gentiles to observe the custom (letter to the Romans, etc.)

2) It was practiced throughout all sectors of the early church, and persisted until the middle ages.

Calling it a "holy" kiss does make it sound rather important.

Many early church "fathers" were quoted to substantiate point 2. granted, it does seem rather strange, the idea of kissing a bunch of men, but there it is in the bible. They also quoted some church "father" to show it was on the LIPS, which I find rather disturbing.

[ September 21, 2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: timothy 1769 ]

4. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Here is a good point of a custom that used to be acceptable and encoraged now not used, for the simple fact we wonder what people looking on might think. :eek:

Personally I hug my brothers and sisters. A warm hug is my version of the "holy kiss" ....

Although your thoughts and practices may differ [​IMG]

God Bless

5. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

ok, here's a question - how do we know what practices in paul's letters we can safely dismiss/reinterpret? it's not like they're clearly marked.

6. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Timothy, I think the rule is this: anything in Paul's writings that doesn't fit my theology I can dismiss as cultural. ;) (BTW, I agree totally with Larry's explanation of this particular practice.)

7. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

That's it, Pastor Greg, they're pretty much using my own arguments against me. i've always read these passages and pretty much just blown them off by thinking that's how things were back then, but no longer. Unfortunately feminists, liberals, etc. do the exact same thing but with verses I think are pretty important.

It's funny being the liberal, bible denying heretic for a change! [​IMG]

[ September 21, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: timothy 1769 ]