1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An honest question about free will.

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Farley, Oct 31, 2002.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

The grace is not of yourselves. The grace is the gift from God, lest any man should boast. Not faith.

2. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

So Scott, are you agreeing with Yelsew that "grace is not part of the equation." Sorry, JESUS saves! Faith is the instrument in receiving salvation, not the cause of it (God's love / grace through Christ is the cause). If you believe faith is the cause, then you HAVE turned faith into a "work".

Here is what I posted previously:
    Rev. G

[ November 01, 2002, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Rev. G ]

3. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Actually, Shilo, Pelagianism and Semi-Pelaginism (aka "Arminianism") have been condemned as heresy by more Church Councils / Synods than any other belief systems in the history of the Church. On the other hand, Augustinianism (aka Calvinism) has never been condemned as heresy. The historic Protestant, and most Baptist, confessions of faith take this position.

Rev. G

4. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Rev. G</font>[/QUOTE]I actually completely agree with you. We disagree on the origin of faith, but without grace, no one is saved.

5. It seemed too obvious, to me, and I had answered him before on this very issue. Election means to be chosen. It does not always mean to be chosen for salvation.

For example, here's one thing the Jews were chosen for...

</font>[/QUOTE]So, do we accept that according to calvinism, the words chosen and elect can have different rammifications. The elect of God, I suppose to be in refrence to salvation; yet the chosen can be unto any number of purposes. Context will dictate. Am i right or wrong?

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This is true no matter what position you take or even if you don't have a position. The meaning of words is always univocal and determined by context. Those are the two most basic tenets of hermeneutics. The words translated elect and chosen are in most cases the same word or a derivative of it. One can be elect to salvation or elect to something else. Don't lean to heavily on English words being different here. A word has no communicative value apart from a context in which it is used. Therefore, the meaning of any word is determined by the context of its use.

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The grace is not of yourselves. The grace is the gift from God, lest any man should boast. Not faith.</font>[/QUOTE]That isn't gramatically likely, unless Paul was a poor writer or thought the reader didn't know the definition of grace. Because what he would have been saying is, "By the free gift of God you have been saved, through faith, and that free gift of God is not of yourselves, it is a free gift of God..."

Most free-will advocates say that "that" refers to salvation, but even that is't gramatically likely. The proper way to write it would have been to say "and that salvation is not of yourselves," because one couldn't say "that saved is not of yourselves," which is you get when you leave out the word.

So the most obvious and natural word for "that" to point back to is "faith". So IMO Rev G. is quite correct - it is "this (faith) is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God..."

(Edit: Changed "this" to "that" - grin)

[ November 01, 2002, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: npetreley ]

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Shilo,

I think you posted the verse in Ephesians 1:13. Great truth! Notice God said through the Apostle Paul the correct order. ' . . . AFTER YOU BELIEVED--{then what?} YOU THEN WERE SEALED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT. Calvinists confuse the order in God's giving of salvation. You are exactly right. Plain as the nose on my face.

Ray [​IMG]

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I guess I can't see your nose. ;)

Whether or not you agree with Calvinism, being sealed by the Holy Spirit as a guarantee of our inheritance is not the same thing as being drawn and enabled by the Father through the Holy Spirit in order to believe in the first place.

10. shilo

shilo New Member

That is NOT True.

YOur not drawn by the Holy spirit your drawn by Jesus Christ and the Gospel.

Tell me from this passage who In John was Drawn by the Holy Spirit and enabled to believe?

"Neverthe less it is expediant for yo that I go away: For If i go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; But if I depart i will send him unto you.

SO who that believed in John had the Holy spirit enabling him to believe???? Especially when the Holy Spirit was not even Given until the death of Christ!

NOt only that but the Job of the Holy spirit was put straight forward. That he would reprove the WORLD of sin and NOT just the elect.

Also

You haven't ansered me on this At lest I dont recall it.

But no less..
    Is God the same today as he was yesterday ..Does he change??

Israel Is DEFINITLY God's elect scripture makes that perfectly clear...according to your interpretation of Ehp.1:4 they were chosen before the foundation of the world. which means they would have had to have been irresistably saved as well when Christ Came..yet they rejected him

Your theology if true should be consistant through out the Bible. but it's apparently not. which means as you showed, You pick and Chose scriptures to make them fit what you think the Bible should say.

the Bottom line is this. Israel Are God's elect. it doesn't matter what you think they were chosen for..He said they were HIS ELECT he hasn't changed his mind about that. (Romans 11:1) but they rejected Jesus. Which means 1.Elect does not mean what Calvinist say it does
    2. Israel proves man can reject the Lord even when they are chosen before Christ even shows up.
    Irresistable grace is Nonsense as Stephen pointed out

"YE stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, YE DO ALWAYS RESIST THE HOLY GHOST"

if they could resist so can any man.

Fatih is NOT A gift of God.

The gift of god is Salvation in Ehp 2:8,9 and if you have a hard time with english and breaking down sentances the Bible tells

you again in Romans 6:28

The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. NOT faith.

See that little word FOR?? (eph 2;8) this refers us to the immediate context which God is saving the dead sinner, not irresistabley granting faith. Salvation is by grace, through faith, not of ourselves it (salvation ) is the gift of God

Faith is the medium of reception. Faith is NEVER spoken of as a gift given to unsaved men

salvation is God's gift, God's free gift. by this very nature a gift has to be recieved or rejected. there is no such thing as an irresistable gift.

If that isn't enough CALVIN said of this verse

" But they commonly misinterpret this text, and restrict the word "gift' to faith alone. But paul is only repeating his earlier statement in other words. He does not mean that Faith is the gift of God, but that salvation is given to us God, or that we obtain it by the gift of God".

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

As a textbook example of failing to think through a position before posting, consider the following.

If the Holy Spirit was not drawing them, then why were they resisting him?? You own proof text disproves your earlier contention.

Then you say, Fatih is NOT A gift of God. However, this contradicts Phil 1:29 where we are told that faith is a gift of God. Once again, Scripture contradicts you.

No one here has a hard time with English but you will have a hard time posting here if your manner of continues to include comments like these. Clean it up and be civil towards others.

12. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

But your view would still face the same problem: "By grace have you been saved through the free gift of God, and that free gift of God is not of yourselves, it is a free gift of God...".
    "that [being] saved is not of yourselves"
    And that same church would later throw out all of Augustine's definition of salvation (but not his ecclesiology, dualistic rejection of marriage, etc), along with the Biblical teaching of grace and regeneration in favor of rank Pelagianism (works that may still not get you out of purgatory). So what does appealing to Church authority mean?

13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

14. Farley

Farley New Member

Jesus paid it all
    all to him I owe
    sin had left a crimson stain
    he washed it white has snow.

Ye chosen seed of Israels race
    Ye ransomed from the fall
    bring forth the royal diadem
    and crown him LORD of all!

15. shilo

shilo New Member

Well Pastor Larry I just beleive what the bible says I don't try to explain it away. Jn. says No Comforter was given until Christ was crucified. I belive what the Bible said

Christ said that HE would draw all men to him..I believ what Jesus said.

Stephen said that The Holy Ghost is resisted. I believe what is written in the Bible. NO SUCH ANIMAL AS IRRESISTABLE GRACE at least according to stephen.

Faith is Not a gift. and phil. 1:29 in no way contradicts that statement.

Faith is not mentioned neither is gift mentioned.. you have to read your own interpretation into the text to make it line up with the notion that faith is a gift. it's not there.

Like I said before Faith is the medium of reception it is the God appointed means of appropriation:

"Therfore being justifed by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ"

"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus"

" AND be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the Faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.'

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

But your view would still face the same problem: "By grace have you been saved through the free gift of God, and that free gift of God is not of yourselves, it is a free gift of God...". </font>[/QUOTE]ROFL! At least, I hope that was meant to be a joke! So you're saying...

1. God is love
    2. Love is blind
    3. Ray Charles is blind
    4. Therefore Ray Charles is god

All grace is a free gift, and all free gifts are by grace, so to say the gift is grace is to be redundant. But while faith is always a free gift, not all free gifts are faith.

(All cats are animals, but not all animals are cats...)

17. russell55

russell55 New Member

For unto you it is given (It is a gift to you) .... to believe on Him (that you believe on Him--your faith)

How can you say that this verse doesn't say that your faith (your belief) is a gift? There is no reading INTO the text, just a plain and simple reading of the text.

[ November 01, 2002, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: russell55 ]

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

19. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Free will is the ONLY thing man has with which to respond to God! If we do not exercise our free will to choose what God offers us, God is not going to force it upon us, elect or not!

20. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Rom 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
    KJV