1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An idea for using tracts.

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by mima, Jun 5, 2006.

1. mima

mima New Member

Do you have a particular method for using a tract or do you just hand out tracts?
    I learned a method of using tracts by accident that has worked wonders. In Mexico spending time on the oceanfront I was using an interpreter when one day the interpreter got sick and could not work. Now this put me in a real bind since I Only speak about 10 words of Spanish. And as I was wondering what to do I begin to pass out the Spanish Tracks. I decided to step right in front of people and hand them the track, immediately upon seeing that I was an American and hearing me mutter something that didn't sound too Spanish to them, I would point down at the tract that I just handed them and invariably they would start reading the track at this time. If they stood still I stood still if they started to walk I started to walk right by their side. And I do know enough Spanish to understand whether or not they answered yes to the questions on the track, and if they completed the track by reading a small prayer included.
    I was passing out tracks in a local park at beautiful city park that fronts the ocean. And I must say that things really begin to happen, other people seeing the people reading my tracks would come up and put their hand out and I would hand them one. And they would take the track over and set down and start reading it. At one time we had several people setting down reading tracks. Many people became very happy, smiling coming back to shake my hand, and some who could speak a little English begin to talk to me and of course I would mention the local Protestant church.
    So today when I get a chance to go to Mexico I no longer use an interpreter(cost was not a problem, but still there were problems such as people asking me questions through the interpreter and thereby tying us up as we talked to them) I just use this method of handing them the track and standing and/or walking with them until they began to read the track. I have found this method to be fantastic. Do you have unusual ideas for using tracks?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in Japan it is entirely legal to put tracts in mailboxes, so we do that a lot. I sometimes get to witness when I see someone in their yard.

I like to give tracts to workers in stores. Here in Japan they are trained to be polite and that the customer is always right. (Oh that they still taught that in America!) So they will almost always take a tract.

One gambit I use to witness when I pass out a tract is to explain the contents of the tract. I start out by saying, "I wrote this tract myself, so please ignore it if you find strange Japanese in it." (Of course, I always have Japanese believers correct my tracts before I have them printed, but it is a good line!) It is a small step then to witness to them, since they are curious as to what a gaijin (foreigner; literally, "outside person") would write that would be of interest to a Japanese.

I find that it is easier to give out tracts you have written yourself. You then have a personal contact with the person you give the tract to, and it makes it easier to witness.

This week a long-time dream will be fulfilled when I send off to the Sword of the Lord the file for my revision of the Japanese version of the famous tract by my grandfather John R. Rice: "What Must I Do To Be Saved?" When I pass out this tract I can say, "My grandfather wrote this, so I like to hand it out. I hope it is a help to you." People almost always like and understand this approach. Also, the title of the tract lends itself to easy witnessing. I recently found in my files a 1951 English version of this tract which says on the front, "Over 2800 Japanese claim to have been saved through the Japanese edition, now totaling 1,179,000 copies." What a thrill!

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have one fine ministry, brother. Keep it up:thumbs:

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, friend! God bless.

5. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Tracts are a good way to reach many that we may not otherwise reach due to language barriers. I applaud both mima and John. :thumbs: :applause: