1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An important editorial

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, May 11, 2011.

1. targus

targus New Member

Given the multiple layers of Federal, State and local bureaucratic regulations and departments like the EPA, not to mention the IRS, capitalism in the U.S. is hardly "unbridaled" or "unfettered". :laugh:

2. mandym

mandym New Member

Do you know what "unfettered" means?

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soilet Green will be their solution. Wait for it....:smilewinkgrin:

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

If this were true, why is it that when you see a goverment agency compared side-by-side with a private entity, the private entity always does better?

I remember standing on top of the Brandenburg Gate as the Berlin Wall was coming down in late 1989 (and again in January 1990). At that point, you still had to go through "processing" to move from East to West Berlin, or vice-versa (the "dismantling" had just started).

There were four--count 'em, four--people in line, wishing to travel to East Berlin.

There were hundreds in East Berlin, wishing to travel to the West.

That view I took in has impacted my political and economic views more than almost anything else I've ever witnessed. The resultant position: I realize that men yearn to be free. That freedom is a good thing. There must always be laws...but only necessary laws. Thus, I always default to freedom whenever remotely possible.

If your position were correct, those numbers in Berlin would have been reversed. I should have seen thousands wanting to flock to the comforting arm of the nanny state. Yet, I didn't.

Perhaps it's time to reconsider, and come to the light...realizing that freedom is something worth aspiring to...and that slavery--whether to a plantation owner, or a federal bureaucrat--is an idea which deserves a place in the trash heap of history.

Dang. That was good. :D

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Then it at least has the appearance that you have intentionally misused the term. There is no reasonable consideration of the use of the term in this way. It is just flat out not true.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

>Without capitalism the world would still be living in the dark ages.

WHY do you say that? Capitalism didn't have anything to do with inventing reading and writing. If there was no profit in inventing the printing press the Bible still would have been printed and people taught to read it. It was Protestant Christianity that brought us out of the (misnamed) dark ages.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

>If your position were correct, those numbers in Berlin would have been reversed.

Assuming you were referring to people wanting to emigrate, you might be half correct. People want to be ruled by their own kind of people and taxed by their own kind of people. Try comparing the north and south - of Ireland. They are of one "race," have similar economies, similar standard of living, do the same sort of work, look the same . . . . You and I could not tell the difference between them but they define their "kind" as Catholic or Protestant, not Irish and have been fighting for 250 years.

Stupid Americans think as that as long as the are taxed by their own kind of people and can own guns, whatever, Americans are free. Our "kind" is people who vote, own guns, can marry whom they choose, live where they chose, work where they choose, go to church where they chose . . . .

Now the stinking rich don't care if we choose all those things because they only recognize two kinds, serfs and owners.

9. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

The issue isn't private vs. public. I'm all in favor of private businesses. However, a lot of things could be better done as private worker-owned cooperatives than the current method of business organization.

I'm a big fan of freedom. I think honesty would require you to admit I don't want to turn the U.S. into East Germany.

10. targus

targus New Member

There is nothing stopping such an ownership arrangement for companies under our current system.

That is how many law firms and accounting firms are set up - although compensation is normally based on billing.

If the employees of any company believe that your system is better there is nothing preventing them from getting together and starting their own business where they are all owners.

What is that you think that prevents it from being more common then we currently see?

Could it have anything to do with risk and compensation based on performance?