1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An interview with Westboro Baptist Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by annsni, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have no business surrendering the "baptist' name to idiots like this. We need to publically denounce these nut jobs rather than surrender to them.

2. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

note carefully the use of the term "brutes" - anyone care to expose the meaning behind that?

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh...how about starting a website and a petition and we all in BB who want to can go ahead and sign it and then maybe send it to a newspaper or tv station or something (they're always out there looking for someting sensational or sicksational) ?
    You have my signature, in first five.

4. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

So is this what happens when you become a hyper-Calvinist? :laugh:

In all seriousness these people are extremely misguided. They need our prayers just as much as they need our rebuking of their teachings.

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only are they hyper-Calvinists, they also claim they're Primitive Baptists !!
    Yikes !!

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think they may be a bit more than crazy. When I considered their answers I think we may be dealing with people who are demon possessed. Just read their replies. Often their replies have little to do with the question and go off on very unBiblical rants. Like the devil himself, they twist Scripture and pervert the grace of God. Btw, since I believe them to be crazy and demon possessed I do consider them dangerous. Nobody should try to contact or confront them. They should be left alone and not given the attention they clearly crave.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have not read anywhere that they claim to be Christians have you? In the interview they did not address any of those questions except to be around the bush.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the church I attend is a woman whose husband was killed in Afghanistan and she was afraid those used by Satan would show up. So people in the church were ready just in case they did. Much of the town along with military personnel and police showed up and I do not think Satans messengers would have had a chance.

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    They've reached the point they don't have to actually show up - just say they plan to attend and provoke another frenzy of publicity.

I don't think they're intimidated by "flag-waving, America-loving" folks; a confrontation would serve their purpose wonderfully by creating yet more publicity - and a chance for their many lawyers to start filing suits.

10. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May have something to do with 2 Peter 2:12 and Jude 10 (in the good 'ole KJV). Maybe she thinks these verses refer to anyone who disagrees with her.

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    oh, yes, they claim to be Christians. And in one interview, in print and on tv, they claimed to be Primitive Baptists. I think (but I might be wrong here) they even posted that in their website.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then the Primitve Baptists need to do something about that.

13. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    need to do something about it ?
    why do we need to do something about it.

Like what ?
    And what good will come out of it ?
    Primitive Baptists are not as large as your group, if you're SBC, and they only mentioned it once.
    My people are mostly found in the Southeast, and they worship in nondescript churches unlike most denominations.
    After worship we disperse and go about our usual businesses.
    In other words, we are "in the background", so much in the background that some on this board used to wonder what a Primitive Baptist is.
    And if somebody in the sicksationalist media takes that pronouncement seriously and asks the Westboro people, they'll probably say they're Primitive Baptists because they hold to the fundamentals of the Scripture and are therefore "Old Fashioned" or Primitive.

#33 pinoybaptist, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I were a Primitve Baptist I would not want the name associated with them in any way.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

If I were primitive baptist I wouldn't like it either, I don't even like sharing the 'baptist' name with them. But can you really do to make them not call themselves baptist or primitive baptist. not much.
    Don't kow if anyone else saw it or not, but I saw a google ad on the top of this forum for westboro 'baptist' today.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I saw the ad too.

I was thinking that the Primitive Baptists could distance themselves form them by making a public declaration that Westboro is not affiliated with them in any way.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Now that I think I would want to do.