1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Obvious Anomaly from KJV Defenders

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ~JM~, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly, even if you hadn't said that -- I find it quite the opposite. It is remarkably backward. And I say that having much in common with their Calvinism.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

What does that mean? :laugh:

3. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

Tom, I would agree. This topic is discussed in a scholarly manner. I really do not have a lot of time for forums but PB is the one I try to make time for.

Some of the better posts have been gathered here: http://feileadhmor.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/jerusalem-blades-posts/

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some examples of the scholarly manner you mentioned.

"There are only two translations: the TR (Received Text) or the Critical Text.
    The former is from the Church and the latter is from outside the Church."

[Thankfully he was rebuked by other posters]

"The TNIV is a TERRIBLE translation."

"You might remove the covers from your TNIV and use the pages to help start fires."

[No rebuke at all.]

"...the TNIV is the most accurate reflection of contemporary western society's declining morals..."

[No rebukes, but two hearty approvals!]

"It should be clear that these men [Westcott and Hort] were not Christians."

"...the patchwork crapshoot of the modern versions."

"Westcott and Hort were heretics and reprobates. Westcott loved Rome and despised the evangelicals of their day."

"... damnable heresy they wrought upon the Book!"

[No rebukes for those remarks by the same poster. Some even congratulate him for these kind of statements.]

"The NIV is NOT a translation ... it's considered a type of paraphrase."

[The above notion was corrected by other posters.]

These will serve as some samples of how backward and sinful the irresponsible posters on the translation threads are. What a platform on which they parade their ignorance!

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly, any discussion forum will have some who are capable of handling issues and others who just create more problems than they're worth.

Present company excepted, of course. ;)

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't know how long you've been around here, Rippon, but I've been here almost ten years. Used to moderate this forum. It's been a zoo. This is as peaceful as it's been in forever. Haven't heard of one single banishment from their BVT forum. Would you like a head count of the ones from this one?

7. ~JM~

~JM~ Member

Rippon, please provide sources and context for the quotes in your post please.

#27 ~JM~, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please read my post #24 carefully. I was not referencing the Baptist Board.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I know....what I'm saying is that in relation to BB, there's no comparison as to which has been more vitriolic IMHO due to my decade of experience. And you still never explained yourself in post 21 :tongue3:

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many remarks on the translation forum of the PB are beyond the pale. But these malacious and ignorant comments are allowed to stand unchallenged. However, on the BB such statements would be deleted.The poster would be warned about the stricter rules here and repeated violations would result in banning.

I just did in the above.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another example from the PB. The poster is gentlemanly, but his point is absurd.

"Yes, I suppose the NASB and NKJV will do the job so far as the being of Christians is concerned. But what about their well-being? Are we satisfied if people merely learn the essentials?"

At another time he was commenting that it is possible that some regenerate people may be in the Roman Catholic Church just as some readers of modern translations may be saved. He went on with his comparision that a person who favored a modern version is in need of the KJV as much as a saved individual in the Roman Catholic Church needed to come out of that Body.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We have a long standing policy of not discussing other boards here. I agree with poster who sent a notification that this is a dangerous trend.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.