1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Oddity In The NLTse

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is Acts 6:2 :

So the Twelve called a meeting of all the believers. They said, "We apostles should spend our time teaching the word of God, not running a food program.

I emboldened the words : not running a food program. I thought it was kind of unusual. The NASBU has : It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables.

At least the NLTse doesn't have ; Hey,we ain't running no soup kitchen here!

2. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That puts a damper on the 'Executive Deacon board' mentality.

I can just imagine :laugh: oO0(" Look here young man... you may doubt my authority but just turn to Acts 6" says the stern faced deacon. After reading the passage in his bran spanking new NLTse, the mischievous youth fires in return "Hey deac... wheres your apron" )

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Nice one, Rip!

4. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Now you done it!

You will face the wrath of the MV defenders!

This is a good example of why every version cant be the inerrant and perfect word of God.

AJ

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

"The word of God is accessible to English-speaking people in many translations. Some translations are good, others are better. None of the major translations are so bad and no Greek text is so faulty as to lead one away from "the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world". To be sure, improvements of translation ought to be welcomed and appreciated. But the important thing is that the individual use the translation he or she favors.

Because the modern farmer has a variety of new equipment, this does not guarantee a successful crop. The equipment must be used. Likewise, in a period where God's grace abounds in the supply of new and better helps for Bible study, let us not presume that the presence of the equipment can substitute for the use of it. May God grant that we shall continue to be a people of one book, and that book the Bible "--Neil R. Lightfoot

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our Wednesday Bible study group is really enjoying the NLT as we study through Romans!
    While oddly colloquial here, the NLT translates the meaning well.

Here are some other ones:

But as the believers rapidly multiplied, there were rumblings of discontent. The Greek-speaking believers complained about the Hebrew-speaking believers, saying that their widows were being discriminated against in the daily distribution of food.
    2 So the Twelve called a meeting of all the believers. They said, “We apostles should spend our time teaching the word of God, not running a food program.

Acts 6:1-2 NLT

During this time, as the disciples were increasing in numbers by leaps and bounds, hard feelings developed among the Greek-speaking believers—“Hellenists”—toward the Hebrew-speaking believers because their widows were being discriminated against in the daily food lines. 2 So the Twelve called a meeting of the disciples. They said, “It wouldn’t be right for us to abandon our responsibilities for preaching and teaching the Word of God to help with the care of the poor.
    Acts 6:1-2 The Message

Some time later, as the number of disciples kept growing, there was a quarrel between the Greek-speaking Jews and the native Jews. The Greek-speaking Jews claimed that their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution of funds. 2 So the twelve apostles called the whole group of believers together and said, “It is not right for us to neglect the preaching of God’s word in order to handle finances.
    Acts 6:1-2 GNT

And in these days when the number of the disciples was multiplying, there arose a low, undertone murmuring of the Hellenists who were conferring together, secretly complaining against the Hebrews, the complaint being that their widows were being neglected in the daily provision of food. Then the Twelve, having called to themselves the entire number of the disciples, said, It is not fitting that we should neglect the word of God, to be occupied with the distribution of food.
    Acts 6:1-2 WUESTNT

Rob

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you say that? I love and appreciate the NLTse. I value most of the modern versions in English.

The original manuscripts live up to that. As has been said many times here by quite a few : Translations of the Bible are not inspired -- including the KJV family. Translations can be very faithful representations of God's Holy Word though.

8. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Why would we say that translations are not inspired?

You are in Korea right? If there was a need for a Korean translation, and you felt led to write one, wouldnt you seek the inspiration of God in your writing?

AJ

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not adept at the Korean language nor the original languages, so that's not an option for me.

Secondly, your use of the term "inspiration" in this case is very loose. A Christian seeking to translate from the original languages into a modern one certainly desires the Lord's direction and empowerment. However, that's a far cry from the God-breathed activity under which the biblical authors were carried along by.

10. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I dont see translating or the original writing as any different. The translation is just as important as the orignal writing, and unless we all learn Greek and hebrew, we have to depend on godly inspiration for translations.

IMO, if there is no godly inspiration then the motive has to be book sales.

AJ

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't read my last post carefully enough.But please start another thread if you'd like. As it is you are going way off the thrust of the OP. Try not to derail this one.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following are not exactly in the 'oddity' category -- but interesting nonetheless.

Snips will follow.

1 Sam.

14:1
    Come on, let's go...

14:12
    ... we'll teach you a lesson!

13:6
    The men of Israel saw what a tight spot they were in...

14:19

Never mind...

28:9
    Are you trying to get me killed?

Judges

9:38
    Now where is that big mouth of yours?

11:9
    Let me get this straight.

Psalms

73:7
    These fat cats have everything...

142:4
    ... no one gives me a passing thought!

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

God chose the writers of the original manuscripts, not the translators. They were inspired in the sense that they were writing the words God wanted them to write.

Translators are translating, not writing original words from God. Also, translations can be compared and we have access to many plus access to Greek and Hebrew. Even if you don't know Greek and Hebrew, you can learn about them enough in order to understand the process of translation and why some words are used and other are not.

I don't know Greek or Hebrew, but I've take the time to understand some of the issues in translation as well as some of the translation differences in the various versions.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More Snips

Genesis

26:27
    ... you kicked me off your land.

27:44
    Stay there with him until your brother cools off.

Proverbs

6:8
    Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones.

Jeremiah

31;19
    I kicked myself for my stupidity!