1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Open Letter to Pro-Lifers

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Dec 18, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"In March 1997 the Libertarian Party of New Jersey invited me to be its gubernatorial candidate that year. (I was a political independent at the time, having left the Republican Party in 1971 soon after I joined it in opposition to Johnson’s welfare-warfare state policies. President Nixon’s expansion of the Vietnam War and his economic controls revealed the GOP paid lip service to limited government. I concluded back then that we only have one party in DC, the "Washington Party".) I attended the Libertarian Party state convention at the end of the month and I was nominated without opposition to run against Gov. Christie Whitman, a pro-choice Republican and the eventual pro-choice Democrat candidate, Jim McGreevey, who was a mayor and state senator at the time. Both Whitman and McGreevey supported partial birth abortion during the campaign. So much for compassionate establishment Republicans and Democrats.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The partial birth issue was to become one of the front-burner issues during the fall general election campaign. Moreover, I also sought guidance on the issue of abortion in general; I knew Rep. Ron Paul, who I have known since 1982, was a pro-life libertarian Republican. I called him to get his input on the abortion issue. He told me he wrote a book on abortion making a libertarian case for the pro-life position. I asked him to send me a copy. I read his beautifully written 100-page Challenge to Liberty in one reading and from then on I became a pro-life libertarian. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I never ever thought I could ever be convinced that a pro-life position was consistent with liberty and limited government. But in Challenge to Liberty, subtitled Coming to Grip with the Abortion Issue, Ron Paul demonstrated that logic is an indispensable tool to change peoples’ minds, especially when it comes to hot button issues like abortion."[/FONT]

- entire column at www.lewrockwell.com/sabrin/sabrin10.html

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Part of the rant against Ron Paul on this board are those who say he compromises on the issue of abortion because he wants it returned to the states.

That is not a valid observation. In fact, those who advocate a Constitutional amendment to ban abortion, are, by their very ideas, making sure that the slaughter continues at its present rate? Why? Because an amendment will never pass. They are in fact pushing for an impossible solution, and end up aiding and abetting the pro abortionists.

Ron Paul on the other hand has a better solution. If the issue is returned to the states, a large percent will make it illegal. Also, for those states who do legalize it, the battle would be much easier to win on a smaller scale.

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Here is how Ron Paul starts his speech in the "Ron Paul TV Special for Iowa - pt. 1" that will be broadcast throughout Iowa the weekend of Dec. 22-23.:

"The one thing we have to remember is you can not have freedom without life. We must preserve all life if we expect to protect the individual liberty of everyone of us, and that means the unborn as well! Let me assure you that as an OB doctor, and as one that has studied history and economic policy and politics for a long time, I can assure you that life begins at conception!. Life begins at conception, and as an OB doctor I had the legal responsibility of taking care of that life. If I did anything wrong I could be sued, if anybodys in an accident and the fetus is killed they can be sued, if in a violent act the fetus is killed, you can be charged with murder. There is no reason in the world that this government can't protect life, rather than the destruction of life, like they do when they finance abortion, that has to stop! The most important way that can be stopped is the reversal and the elimination of that horrible ruling Roe vs. Wade must be reversed!"

The video can be found here:

http://jgrubbs.blogspot.com/2007/12/ron-paul-tv-special-for-iowa-pt-1.html