1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Opposite use of legalism?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Chris L., Aug 14, 2006.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

it's just being legalistic:smilewinkgrin:

or are you being antinomian:tongue3:

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Romans 8:29 "And those whom he foreknew, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son...."

I have this mental picture of Jesus boppin' down the road with a headset on, rock music pounding away, puffing on a joint. Jesus' speedos seemed a bit different from the way the other disciples were dressed, but who is to judge. His tattoos were pretty neat, too.

Yep, this Christian liberty is groovy. I can get saved and don't have to change a thang.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Exactly what I thought! :thumbs:

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

With this format, it won't post less than 10 characters. That's why I use a lot of ................ <<<<<<<< those.

5. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Nevertheless we must apply Scripture at some point, and make our faith practical. The Bible does teach that "If a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" Now how long is long and how short is short may be a matter of opinion, but nevertheless there must be some attempt to practically apply the Scriptures.

The same is true on the issue of modesty, and the role of women in ministry etc. We may not agree on how these Scriptures are applied in the details, but we should agree on general principles without charging one or the other with legalism.

Legalism is really about what saves a man, these other issues are matters of practical theology. Surely in preaching we are called upon to explain in practical terms what the Bible is teaching - if that calls for us to dress differently, or get a hair cut, then so be it. I agree that an individual's holiness must not be judged upon such things, but if they understand the Bible to be teaching a matter, say on the issue of modesty, and they refuse point blank to change on the basis of liberty, then their liberty has become licence and they are in sin. Their holiness is therefore in dispute.

6. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Who implied that? Did you read my response to your question a few posts back?

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yes, but you still seem to question those who demand Bible reasons "doing" or "not doing."

If we can't at least give a principle to support our "rules" than we need to rethink our "rules."

I always question when something is preached that I must do or not do, and no Bible reason is given.

8. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Ok... if you say so.

What principle do you give a person who demands a specific Bible verse that says they shouldn't smoke marijuana, listen to heavy metal, etc? Unless you give them one, "they ain't gonna do it"! Someone with an attitude like that has no interest in obeying scripture. Even when there are specific verses, many seem to choose to deny or disobey them anyway.

What you were referring to in your last post concerning Catholics sounds to me more like extra-biblical rituals, doctrines and traditions. Of course we should question those things. I'm talking about the more simple things from the word of God.

Someone who would get furious and leave a church over some of the I've things mentioned, and give up all the fellowship and the wonderful things the church has to offer, and from putting aside their issues to serve the Lord is obviously only interested in self. Jesus teaches us to deny self, to sacrifice and obey the word of God. I would only pray that they would eventually come around and mature, grow and be sanctified, but unfortunatly many do not. They simply float around until they find a church that doesn't question or offend them in any way, if they don't give up on God altogether.

#28 Chris L., Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
  9. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

#29 Chris L., Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
  10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I wouldn't say that kind of folk is legalist. I would say what the Bible calls it. (As someone else has already pointed out...) It is license. And they are in sin.

What it ALL comes down to is the condition of your heart.

Do you wish to obey Christ or not?

If you do then every aspect of your life will reflect a sanctified and seperated manner of living.

Do you truly wish to be conformed to the image of "His dear Son"? Then why do you look like the heathens? Why do you listen to the heathens' music, movies, opinions and philosophies?

I wholeheartedly agree with the feller/filly who imagined Jesus bee-bopping down the sidewalk with His I-pod blaring away, tattoes, piercings and tye-dyed hair!!! And some would say it is legalistic to suggest that that image is NOT holy???? I can only counter with Romans 12:1-3. "...present your BODIES a living sacrifice, HOLY, acceptable to God...Be not conformed to the IMAGE of this world....but be ye TRANSFORMED by the renewing of your mind...for I say...to every man among you...not to think of himself more highly than he ought..."

11. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Amen Brother!

P.S. Tye-dyed hair??? Now that would be something!

12. whatever

whatever New Member

When I left the IFB church it was not because I wanted to smoke pot or listen to heavy metal. It was simply because I decided that I needed to obey Colossians 2:16. The ascetics can keep their rules. I'll take Christ.

Why should I submit to regulations?

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Marijuana is easy. It harms the temple of God. It is a mind altering drug that fits in the same catagory as alcohol, etc. Plenty of principles. Heavy metal is a bit tougher. The problem there is of course association with sinful practices and lifestyles. The majority of heavy metal promotes many other sins. Again, a Bible principle.

This is a hasty generalisation. When there is a Bible reason or a Bible principle most folks that I deal with are willing to make a change.

And so many of our fundamental traditions are extra-biblical.

It is sin go to the movie theater
    It is a sin to listen to all secular music
    Dancing is sin
    It is sin for a woman to wear trousers

None of these have any kind of Bible reasons. It does not show a legalistic heart to say "Show me where the Bible says this is wrong."

I have found that those who "get furious" are more often than not the fundamentalists who have their authority, their traditions, and their extra-biblical rules questioned. You said deny self, sacrifice, and obey the word of God. I agree - that is what we are called to do. Your last point is excellent - obey the word of God, not some man-made set of rules without a Bible basis.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

<<<<<<<<

Ed

15. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Some of the things here seem like hasty generalisations also. Do all these fundamentalist traditions apply to everyone? Do many IFB preachers usually just read off a list of sins like you've shown?

These things were never my traditions, but I've only been going the IFB route for about a year now. I've come to the conclusion that the liberal lifestyle, loose reading of scripture and the casting doubt on Gods word and constant rationalizing was simply incompatible with a true Christian walk. I've been down this road before and it didn't work. I was only fooling myself, and I knew it. I think other Christians know it too, otherwise they wouldn't get so mad when certain things are preached against.

A generalization, and I've never heard anyone say it was a sin, but I have heard it suggested that we avoid movie theaters nowadays. Even if you go to one of the few movies worth seeing, nowadays the previews themselves are getting so bad for all the other junk as to not want your family to see them. If I was an IFB Pastor, I would suggest that they wait for it to come out on DVD, so they would have more control over what their family sees. Is this wrong? If a Pastor preaches on avoiding movie theaters, I know what he means, and he doesn't have to give all kinds of specifics. I'm not stupid, and I think other Christians know better also.
    It isn't any more a sin to listen to some forms of secular music than it is to look at some secular paintings, or other artwork. I've never heard an IFB preacher say all secular music is a sin, but I'll take your word for it that you know of some who did.
    Another generalization. Some forms of it can lead to sin, premiscuous behavior with the opposite sex, the drugs and the gang fights, stabbings, and shootings at "Da Club". A high risk it seems for a little dance. Is it wrong for a Pastor to preach against this?
    The Bible teaches that women ought not to wear that which pertains to a man. As of the 1920's or so, women in western society did not commonly wear trousers, or had short manly looking hair. When I see someone I cannot identify as a women at first glance, I'd say she was wearing that which pertains to a man. I not saying you're totally wrong, but this topic is certainly debatable, and it would be a shame for a women to leave an otherwise good soulwinning church over this issue.

It seems Gods thoughts and words from scripture would indicate that he want's women to be distinct and different. Why not err on the side of caution? I wouldn't feel comfortable speaking for God and saying "Of course it isn't a sin" as others are wont to do.

Usually they are most furious when they are anonymous sitting behind a computer, and you're right on that as I've found out the hard way, but others can be just as bad. I remember a person who was critizing IFB's on some forum because they wear suits. This person wasn't even a IFB, and no one was forcing him or telling him to wear a suit, but he had a big problem with it. When I explained to him that years ago most Christians wore suits to church, regardless what denomination they were, and that many IFB's feel that it's like being on the job, and they are out there representing Christ and want to look there best, and that many people today have a general lack of class he became furious, and started some huge arguments over suits.

Where do these attitudes come from? Not from God, that's for sure. Years ago, this persons attitude would have been almost universally scoffed at. These kind of people are the anti-thesis of the nutball fundamentalist, and there are a lot of them out there today.

#35 Chris L., Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And the crux is that we have liberty in Christ.

The problem comes when people try to squeeze others into their moulds, from either side.

Yes, I will always look for a Bible reason when I hear something preached for or against. If it comes to a matter or differing views that is fine. Either submit to your pastor's authority, or lovingly explain to him why you can't and seek another church.

There is no reason for anger or becoming furious from either side.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Amen C4K. That sounds like a Berean to me.

Ed

18. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

I have a few questions for you C4k, mabye you can help me to understand IFB's more:

On the thread about the Psalm in the Irish bog, you said that most churches in Ireland had something to do with the BWM or BIMI what are those exactly? How is that different from other IFB missionaries?

What is a Berean?

It sounds to me like your with the BBFI group, are you?

#38 Chris L., Aug 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2006
  19. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

RE;BWM and BIMI

Chris,

Obviously I am not C4K nonetheless I will try to give some identification to BWM and BIMI.

BWM is a missionary clearing house that receives and distributes funds to missionaries that are approved and sent to various fields around the world through their agency. They are historic Baptist in their theology and separation both personal and ecclesiastical and I believe they came into existance in the late 50's or early 60's.

BIMI is the same as above and started about the same time and its initials stand for Baptist International Missions Inc. its origin is linked to Dr. Lee Roberson and Tennessee Temple University.

Others who are more atuned to these agencies can fill in the particulars.

What is a Berean ...
    Acts 17:10-14 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few. But when the Jews of Thessalonica had knowledge that the word of God was preached of Paul at Berea, they came thither also, and stirred up the people. And then immediately the brethren sent away Paul to go as it were to the sea: but Silas and Timotheus abode there still.

thjplgvp

#39 thjplgvp, Aug 19, 2006
  20. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Why should I obey regulations?

Why should I submit to regulations?

Whatever,

In addressing your question / statement I would respond with, why should you not obey regulations? As I have read the gospels and other epistles of the NT I found that nowhere were the disciples were told not to obey the rules placed over them except were the rules and laws of the world infringed upon the clear commands of Christ. Jesus did not do away with the Torah (written law, writers of wisdom and oral tradition) what he implied was that the importance was not in the obedience letter but the obedience to the spirit that caused their invention.

When preachers say to a congregation that they should not do certain things these are merely warnings of conduct unless backed up clear by scriptural references. As a warning the people can either accept it or ignore it but the warning stands. As protection for those who wish to heed the advice. Take dancing for instance I am in my late 50’s and I can honestly say that those who attend and participate in modern dance are playing with fire. I don’t have to go into the human anatomy of cause and reaction to say dancing is dangerous though not sin. I don’t need to quote a scripture I can quote statistics to prove that dancing and its environment leads one down a path of destruction. Are there exceptions to that observance? Yes. But are there more acceptations than tragedies? Not likely.

Can safeguards be placed in individuals lives to prevent giving into temptation? Again I say yes. Are these safeguards foolproof? No. Just like the preacher saying stay away from dancing it leads to temptation and sin is not foolproof either. After all does not the bible tell us that a fool is wiser than seven men who can render reason therefore nothing but a cell is foolproof.

Did not God tell Moses to erect a fence at the bottom of the mountain to keep the people from touching that which was holy by accident and dieing for their ignorance? When preachers give clear warnings they are not trying to infringe (most of the time) but protect people from their own ignorance.

How many wish they had never taken their first drink, petted that one time, smoked that first cigarette, took a tote of that first joint, went to that night club or bar so see if it was really as bad as their parents or the preacher said it would be, dated that unsaved person even thou they had been warned not to. In effect many are like a known bible character that went out to observe daughters of the land and instead lost her innocence and cost the lives of many. How many would say in retrospect I wish I had obeyed or listened?

Indeed why should you submit to regulations? You don’t have to, you can do what you want but you cannot say you were not warned of the consequences.

Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you. Hebrews 13:17

thjplgvp

#40 thjplgvp, Aug 19, 2006