1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anabaptists and Landmark Baptists

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by timothy 1769, Sep 17, 2003.

1. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

While browsing anabaptists.org I noticed the following statement:

"Contemporary groups with early Anabaptist roots include the Mennonites, Amish, Dunkards, Landmark Baptists, Hutterites, and various Beachy and Brethren groups."

What's the connection? How are Landmark Baptists closer to Anabaptists than other Baptists?

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Timothy, my guess would be that the connection is that whoever wrote that is aware that Landmark Baptists make the claim of Anabaptist roots, and yet may not be aware of the historical connectedness of most Baptists in America. Many other Baptists deny their Anabaptist roots. But, for example, Landmark Baptists would not be historically any closer to Anabaptists than Southern Baptists, for they both have the same historical roots. Could you give us a link to the context, so we can examine it a little closer? Thanks.

P.S. - I should clarify that there are some Southern Baptists that consider themselves Landmark Baptists. Landmarkism is not a sub-denomination or sub-group of Baptists, but is rather an ecclesiology.

3. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

sure, it's on the front page, just scroll down a little bit.

ANABAPTISTS.ORG