1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anabaptists

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Here is a link to a very interesting and informative website; the articles here show why Anabaptists are neither Catholic nor Protestant but rather a third way or form of Christianity. I believe my theology is basically Anabaptist-influenced; so, I naturally lean more toward the General Baptists instead of the Calvinist Baptists.

Here's the link: http://www.anabaptistchurch.org

Please read especially the aricle in blue on the right entitled "Anabaptist Theology."

2. Joey M

Joey M New Member

I haven't had a chance to read much of this yet, but I can say for assurity that I am not a calvanist or reformed baptist.
    I believe in predestination as to the foreknowledge of God.

God speed.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Michael - I don't think any of us who have discussed doctrine with you over the past year would mistake you for a "reformed" Baptist! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It would be almost as bad as mistaing Pastor Josh for a fundamentalist! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hang in there man. These are good discussion threads on the Theology Forum. I enjoy coming on line here each late night. [​IMG]

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Well, thanks, Bob! I just wanted to make sure that everyone was absolutely clear once and for all that I was not a Calvinist Baptist. ;) :D [​IMG]

5. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

All Baptists are inheritors of the Anabaptist Reformation though technally neither the Generals or Particulars were or Anabaptists in that both rejected some parts of the Reformation Anabaptists doctrines. The Anabaptists I do believe overall had a slightly stronger view of original sin that Helwys and Smyth however though the 1679 General Baptist Confession moved slightly closer to Calvinism but not close enough. Glen Stansen a Mennonite historian views the Particular Baptists as more closer to the Anabaptists than the General Baptists .

6. DocCas

DocCas New Member

It is historically inaccurate to lump all who have been called "Anabaptist" together and expect them all to conform to a single doctrinal statement. (Not even all today's Baptists can do that!)

Many who were labeled "Anabaptist" by the RCC were, in fact, not Anabaptists but main line Protestants. Even Martin Luther was, at one time, called an "Anabaptist" by the RCC. [​IMG]

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Thomas,

You are correct, on several counts! [​IMG]

Kiffin,

Actually, the General Baptists, who came before the Particulars, were the ones who were influenced by the Anabaptists; both groups believed in free will and were non-Calvinistic in their theology. The Particulars who came several years later were Calvinists who didn't have much in common with Anabaptists except for believers baptism and church-state separation.

8. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Michael,

You are correct on soterology that is definitely true but there are some who believe that the Particular Baptists were closer to the Anabaptist concept of the Church than the General Baptists. The Generals often had more of a denominational view of the Church than the Particular's and Anabaptists. Granted however the differances were minor in their view of the Church but it shouldn't be overlooked.

Let it be said however that despite my disagreement with the Anabaptists and General Baptists I do not ignore their contributions to the Baptist faith as Generals should not forget vice versa that Baptists in America have their roots in the Particular Baptist movement of the 1600's.

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Kiffin,

I would agree with you that the Particular Baptists were closer than the General Baptists to the Anabaptist concept of the church--and I find that ironic.

The truth is that *most* Baptists in America have their roots in the Particular Baptist movement, but it is also historically true that the General/Free Will/Arminian Baptists in America arose independently of the Calvinist branch of Baptists.

Thanks for your contribution.

10. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Michael,

We shockingly agree my friend. [​IMG] I would say (though I cannot prove it) that the General Baptists must have had some influence on Puritan separatists that later became the Particular Baptists. I disagree with many Reformed Baptists that the Anabaptists and General Baptists had no part in the birth of the Particular Baptists. I cannot imagine them getting these ideas simply getting from Puritan sources since all Baptist type groups be it Anabaptist, General, and Particular rejected State churches, infant baptism something the Puritans did not reject. But that is my opinion.

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Kiffin ]

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Kiffin,

I tend to agree again.

Look out; if this is a trend, we may both be in trouble! :D

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today's "reformed" baptists are heirs of much of the theology of the"particular" baptists. Just a clearer name for the unsaved world to recognize.

I am not too sure I want to be linked to ANY "anabaptist" in spiritual kinship. Man, I don't even like to be linked to some "baptists" on this BB!! [​IMG]

Son is a "Regular" Baptist minister and introduced himself as such. Someone said they were not really interested in his bowell habits! :eek: :eek: :eek:

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

But I bet he'd still rather be known as a "Regular" Baptist than an "Irregular" Baptist. :D