1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ANALYSIS: Are evangelicals fractured & losing influence in the public square?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jun 15, 2009.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That makes me sad too.

Agreed. We can't keep expecting exponential growth in trying economic times. Of course to realize this takes leadership, which is lacking in many places.:thumbsup:

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the link you provided, you will find 128 pages of financial statements in the annual report, starting with "Part 4: Financial Statements...."

http://www.sbcec.org/bor/2008/default.asp

I believe you will find the information you are seeking, concerning employee pay and compensation, there.
    I like truncating. It helps keep cyber space free of unnecessary duplication.

I do my best to give the thrust of what you are saying, just not repeating all the details.

peace to you:praying:

3. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I've read it, there is ont detailed information about employee and executive compensation.

4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You read all 128 pages? Did you understand everything that you read?

Perhaps you could give us a summary, giving examples from the annual report and financial statements, that validate your assertions that the agencies are not reporting employee pay and compensation?

#64 canadyjd, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
  5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could you give us one of the pages that you found an exact amount of what each seminary professors and seminary presidents make. Where I teach anyone can easily find the exact amount of what I make as a salary. It is public knowledge. I have always said that the Christians should have a higher standard of financial accountability than the public sector.

One church I pastored I asked them to have their books audited by someone outside of the church. They looked at me as if they were caught. I did find out later they had something to hide. Later The IRS found a problem.

6. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I can read English and balance sheets. What part of specific financial disclosure don't you understand?

Where is the detailed financials for how the "administrative personnel budget" in each division is laid out?

Where are the specific line items for the payment package of a, say, seminary president including annual salary, annual car, driver, cook, maid, library expense, travel, retirement, insurance, etc etc etc?

I don't need an amortization table for the Lifeway Building in downtown Nashville. I'm looking for specific executive pay package details. We'd all be surprised how much the entire office of the president of the executive committee packs away on a monthly basis.

Specificity. Not general budget lines. You don't find it. I challenge you to show me specific, detail financial disclosure for the above package anywhere in this report. That is what I am saying, not a general budget line. But this isn't an issue I desire to get hung up on.

Now returning to the issue where you called me out for misrepresenting the truth about how much of Cooperative Program giving from churches makes it to missionaries. How do you respond to my facts and figures?

One thing I noticed is that it is easy to cast aspersions on someone and have a cavalcade of cronies add their brow beating remarks around here. Yet when the actual truth of the matter is presented many avoid it and their cronies disappear ne'er to be seen again.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When the general trend among large churches is to hide the salaries of the pastors and staff, you would not really expect the SBC to disclose those salaries would you? After all they would not want to be above board as much as the local public school district would they?

#67 gb93433, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree Rev, I keep hearing that evangelicals are loosing tough with society but I believe society is just moving further from God. I believe the Church should accept sinners but with the mission of helping them become righteous.

The Church must maintain their duty as that light, that beacon on the hill, the voice crying out from the wilderness or there will be no place for those seeking to come out of the world.

PS... I hope you're using the word Libby as a characterization since conservatives are now calling for their party to accept g@y marriage.

#68 LeBuick, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see both the religious and society moving together in the same direction with the distance between closing . When one looks at the inception of church growth boards, PDC, PDL, emergent church, Willow Creek, etc. just think where those come from. I have never seen a church that did not grow that was also making disciples. Too many today have accepted the idea of attracting people to a church as the idea of dresing up a pig.

I heard a pastor say that we should not be about lowering the standard or making the standard so high that nobody reaches it but rather keeping the standard where it should be and lowering the ropes to help someone up to the top.

Absolutely. That message needs to be present in everything we say and do.

do you have a source of this information? I have not heard this yet.

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I asked before, show us from the financial statement what you are upset about. There are 128 pages there. You read it all, you said. It should be relatively easy for you to pick a seminary financial statement, and post the details here for all to see.

Show us where a seminary is not reporting employee compensation. You made the assersions. Show us the proof from the annual financial statement.
    Well then, by all means don't be part of the crowd. Don't just "cast aspersions", prove what you are saying. Show us from the annual financial statement the proof of what you have claimed.

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should ask preachingjesus. He has read the entire 128 pages of the financial statements. He understands all the language and balance sheets. He should be able to point us to the exact page for each seminary, and then we can all go there to see what they are hiding.

Or better yet, you should read the entrie 128 pages of the financial statements of the annual, yourself.

12. Freedom

Freedom New Member

Society is seeking to meet a deeply felt spiritual need. My view is that part of this is the Boomers want to come home to the church they attended as a youth before going out to "change the world." Sadly, many times they find that today's churches are more interested in politics than in spirituality. They attend a couple of times and go back home to play golf on Sunday mornings.

13. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I can't show you because its not there. Which is precisely my point.

There is no reporting of executive pay nor employee compensation. Look at Golden Gate's report pages 299-307. Show me where the detailed information, not line item expense, is located.

I honestly don't know why you're hung up on this it is a very minor point. My major issue is how much of a dollar given to the Cooperative Program by John Q. Parishioner at First Baptist Whichahatchee makes it to the missionary in the field. I rebuffed your numbers, because you didn't actual read the rport, and am awaiting your reply on that issue.

I again challenge you to reply to my above post and how such a low dollar amount given in churches to the cooperative program makes it missionaries.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither Draper nor Hunt have said anything of the sort. That is your eisegetical twisting of the article you linked to. You want to find any isolated error and pin it on the convention as a whole. This is a result of your well documented hatred for the convention. Practical atheism is hyperbole and nothing more.There are more than 12 new church starts in Central Florida alone. This is more than the state convention has money for. But they move forward anyway. Maybe you should set aside your isolated incidents and dig more into what is happening around the convention. You do not have a clue.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you not read what I wrote earlier? I never said they did. I did say it was Henry Blackaby who did in a sermon.

Before you make an entire case out of something I never wrote may I suggest that before you are so hasty in writing something that you post the quote of where I mentioned such a thing.

Practical atheism is accompanied by an intellectual theology without any works. The SBC can easily give you the numbers in an average church who have never shared their faith. 12 church starts do not represent the spiritual condition of a convention. It could be representative of one who is a successful church planter. I know of one who is in charge of church planting and has planted many churches who is now divorced and his family wants nothing to do with him. I personally have found him to be lacking spiritually. My wife noticed the same thing. He thinks that people come to church for entertainment. I left that nonsense quite quickly.

I would commend anyone who seeks to plant churches. Thank God for them because it as a very hard job. Much harder than pastoring a church. At times it can get rather depressing. Do you know what percentage of new church starts make it past two years? Your point makes about as much sense as Rick Warren representing your spiritual condition. Through his efforts over 40 churches have been planted.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem is that I had been in business for almost 22 years and could not find what you suggested was there. So that is the reason why I am asking you.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You gave a link to an article quoting hunt.

I know you desperately want to hang on to your hatred of the convention but you claims are just not panning out. Every state is starting churches. But since you do not actually have any knowledge of what is going on in the convention you do not have that to stand on.

[/quote]I would commend anyone who seeks to plant churches. Thank God for them because it as a very hard job. Much harder than pastoring a church. At times it can get rather depressing. Do you know what percentage of new church starts make it past two years? Your point makes about as much sense as Rick Warren representing your spiritual condition. Through his efforts over 40 churches have been planted.[/QUOTE]

More twisting from you I see. You are, very badly, trying to make the case that the convention is hanging on to theology without any concern for "works". I am saying you are wrong as churches are being planted in every state as we speak. So the practical atheism claim flies out the window on that issue alone. So now you want to side step that and move on to a ratio of successful churches vs. failed churches. The hatred of Dr. Patterson on this board is quite astounding.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

It has been slowly brewing, I first saw it here then I heard Cheney, Megan McCain and McCain campaign manager echoing the same sentiments. There has been several from the right speaking out in favor of widening the base by being open minded to g@y marriage. I don't think they know what that would do to the party.

19. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

A bit of an aside, but maybe worth it...I think evangelicals need to start getting their heads (and hearts) around finding solutions for a setting where homosexual marriage is a legal reality. I really believe within 5 to 10 years the US will have recognized homosexual marriage (not just unions.)

This isn't to say we need to like it or even think that saying such a thing will exist is an endorsement (I have advocated against this for a while now.) I just think we need a better answer than "No! Go away!"

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is it that is doing this?