1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ananais and Sapphira...lost?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Oct 23, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dr. Riddlebarger makes plenty of assumptions in that article, but it sounds more like he's trying to convince himself using the reformed position, rather than look at it in context of Acts 1-5. As believers, if we resist the devil he will flee from us. This verse shows that A&S did no such thing...
    Act 5:4 Wasn't it yours while you possessed it? And after it was sold, wasn't it at your disposal? Why is it that you planned this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God!"

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Where did he find out that Satan did not sift Peter? Rather it seemed the opposite, as Peter denied Christ three times. Did God not allow Satan to sift Job?
    But rather than examine these questions, we will choose to believe that they were not really saved.
    How does this serve to warn Christians, if we disqualify hypocrites from being Christians in the first place? Further down the author states that a Christian need not fear the fate of Ananias coming upon them. What then is the Christian to fear?
    Indeed.
    But what about Christians?
    I think the message here is 'make sure you really are saved, because if you just think your a believer, God is going to kill you.' But if you really are saved, you have nothing to fear for your sins, because God already killed Jesus for you. But that hardly explains why the church feared after these things occured, unless the church wasn't really the church. Maybe they were just the professing church.

3. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

In the very early days of the forming church God used means to shape, discipline and govern His church. As I mentioned before, even those taking the Lord's Supper inappropriately experienced loss of their life. This was for the purpose of placing a holy reverence for God in the hearts!
    The whole of 1 John is a test to make sure you are in fact a believer! We're not talking head knowledge but having a regenerated heart!
    Apparently Ananias and Sapphira were 'professors' but did not truly have a relationship with Christ, were not regenerate, not justified. If so they never would have done so heinous a sin as to lie to the HS.
    All christians sin but they dont continue in a lifestyle of sin, scheme and plot to deceive God Himself!

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Have you passed the test yet?

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Riddlebarger is promoting a works-based spiritual salvation. This should be enough of a clue right here to dismiss what he is saying.

I guess what it boils down to, from Riddlebarger's perspective, is that you must make sure that you are really, really, really, really truly saved, and if your works don't reflect that, then you're not.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is this not the stance of Lordship Salvation, HoG?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2B, is your mind swayed so easily? Only two pages back you stated the following:
    One flawed article changed your view totally?

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Yes that is Lordship salvation in a nutshell.

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Yep.

We had a guest speaker try to promote that garbage. We politely showed him the door.

10. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Actually that is true according to scripture!
    Examine yourself to see if you're in the faith, dont you know Jesus Christ lives in you; unless that is, you fail the test! 2 Cor. 13:5

Works are evidence of regeneration, not a means to obtain such!
    James 2:14-26 shows us that faith results in good works. If we are truly believers we will love the brethren and care for them! 'Faith without works is dead'!
    The works are constantly demonstrating your relationship with Christ and that you have been justified!
    Before speaking of 'garbage' it would be good to verify scriptural teachings!

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Nay, James 2 shows us that faith alone cannot save a man, and that a man is justified by works as well as faith. It says nothing about works being the result of faith. It is also written to folks that are already saved by faith alone, so it is talking about another type of salvation.

12. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he tht doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    Many will say to me in tht day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in they name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    Therefore, whosoever heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him to a wise man, which built his house on a rock!
    Matthew 7:21-25

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Amen, brother. But the kingdom of heaven is not the free gift of eternal salvation. It is a reward for faithful service.

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

The title of this thread should be 'Ananias and Sapphira... lost the kingdom?'

15. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

To build on the rock means to be a practicing, obedient disciple of Jesus Christ, having the solid foundation to survive the storms of life.
    There are many who think they are good, solid, christians when in reality faith in Christ is what will count at the judgment. This faith is exhibited on earth by loving the brethren and caring for them, doing the works of God while there is time!

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

We cannot confuse building on the Rock with believing on the Rock. Jesus said that whoever believed on Him would be raised up on the last day. They may build their house all over the beach and it may get washed away and they may be ashamed at the judgment seat of Christ with Ananias and Sapphira and they may miss out on reigning with Christ... but they will still be raised up on the last day.

17. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

That no-lordship error is so dangerous to the soul of so many!
    My prayer is that those who believe such will be led to study His word further seeking clearer and accurate views!
    God bless!

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'm not saying that a believers soul is not in peril, brother. Rather I affirm it, brother. Christ would not have us lukewarm, and we may find ourselves spewed out of His mouth. But nevertheless, to add conditions to the free gift of salvation is to nullify the blood of Christ. He said believe.

19. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

You are confused...

First, you claim that it does not say that Satan entered Ananias and Sapphira but it does.

"Eipe de Petros 'Anania, dia ti eplarosen o Satanas tan kardian..'"

But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart..."

You can go monkey around with the text but I will chose to believe that the Bible says what it means and means what it says.

Second, you clearly state, "I understand satan cannot co-exist with the Holy Spirit." Well, let me ask you this, how can Satan, who is not omni-present/science/powerful, come into your thoughts if the Lord is present in your body? This does not say that you have allowed your own sinful nature to do this or so. No it states that Satan has filled their hearts. Satan does not have the power to oppress/possess/infill/or place thoughts in your mind. He is not God and never will be. He only has the power to be in one place at one time. And he is not welcome nor able to enter the holy of holies, the temple of the Holy Spirit, which is your mind/body/soul, if you are born again and bought with the blood of Jesus. There is power in the blood!

20. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

James 4:7
    7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

BPT, if Satan could have no influence on a believer, why would we have verses like this in the bible?