1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ancient Greek Culture

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by DavidsAngel, Sep 9, 2004.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

When I was in Greece, several of my peers were at a camp in way Northern Athens--maybe even an hour north of Athens. They said their conditions were rather Spartan.

2. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

You see that is my point. Well one of them anyway. In Sparta a woman could rule. I mean someone had to make the decisions. That was for day to day living though. When it came down to the military decisions those were left up to the men.

Saggy.... what did they mean Spartan? Segragated? or rustic?

3. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

Here's another cultural link that I think is there...

The helots...they were the conquered peoples of Sparta who accepted the protection of the Spartan military might in exchange for "taxes" on their agriculture to feed their rulers. Is it not like many people today who don't care what flag is flying over their heads so long as they have their income to live on without too much intrusion from taxes? They will accept being, in effect, slaves, just so long as they don't have to worry too much about food and shelter.

4. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

They were slaves. And, they took in a great deal of the abadoned infants. And, if i'm remembering correctly, they were persecuted by the Spartans. And, I think they had a hand in the downfall of them as well. In fact I know they did. Sitting here thinking They joined with the other side and killed a great number [​IMG] ... Thanks Stratioes, you got my motor moving and I remembered :D

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think one must distinguish between various classes that are lumped under the term "helots." The original helots of Laconia, by and large, fared better, though they still had no legal rights. When the Spartans conquered Messenia, the new helots proved to be more rebellious and received worse treatment. It was the Thebans who finally took advantage of the helots' dissatisfaction and liberated Messenia.

I think it's also fair to point out that the ancient Greeks had a much higher opinion of Sparta than we moderns do. It was, for good or ill, a socially stable society not given to fits of revolution that afflicted most other Greek city-states, and it bred universally honored warriors, no small thing in a land dominated by a host of grasping city-states that would change alliances at the drop of a drachma. After all, Sparta did conquer Athens.

The penalty the Spartans paid, was of course, a rigidity that stifled creativity and innovation. Which is why we all know about Socrates and Plato and Aristotle and Euripides while we draw a blank on Sparta's contributions to the world.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love the contrasting picture of the men of Athens building narrow, parallel walls to connect the city with the sea, and the men of Sparta who eschewed a wall and said that if attacked, every man was a brick.

Every man a brick. That will preach.

7. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

Amen Dr. Bob!

Indeed it says something of the roots of the militia thinking as well - a poison pill to any invader.

I mentioned the movie "Ride With the Devil" in the guerrilla thread, a line from that movie comes to mind here - "Out east there are armies and such but here in Missouri you have to fight the people...."

8. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

0.o -is a native Missourian- LOL

But, thier thoughts do work well. They were always on the defense knowing that an attack is going to happen. And, they kept thier society that way. Always ready for anything that came their way. It is amazing to see how well prepared they were, only to fall. :-/