1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured And now for the rest of the story- A Muslim boy and his clock

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Again, I'm not saying that what happened was exactly correct, but I think people are going overboard in trying to make it appear more incorrect than it was. As has been pointed out, no charges were filed, and he technically wasn't under arrest. When he was denied a chance to call his father, the way I read it, was during his arrest. The father arrived on the scene of the arrest, and so the department didn't need to contact him anymore. It was already done.

I am not sure of the circumstances of the first paragraph, as I am still looking for a good, unbiased source. Seems they all have a slant to them.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm with you.

To summarize.

Teacher alerting police is fine and police investigating on site is fine. Police handcuffing him and taking him to a juvenile detention center and questioning him before his parents or attorney are made available is not good. This thing could have been handled by the police showing up, confirming it wasn't a bomb, advising the child of the judgment to bring this device to school and leaving the school. The child was suspended three days which is a bit much. The fact that the child was in fact taken to a juvenile detention facility and interrogated while allegedly having his request to contact his parents denied is alarming especially when the police have acknowledged that it was quickly confirmed on site that it wasn't a bomb and the child never misrepresented his intent for bringing the device to school. Add in the fact that neither the police or school administration took any steps to evacuate and secure the building and I'm doubly concerned.

Also having a hard time finding a legitimate source that states if he was detained or arrested. Usually a detainment is on site and there is some hazy legal language that identifies a reasonable amount of time (usually 20 minutes). The fact that he was cuffed and transported to a detention facility lends me to believe he was either arrested or the police stopped one step short of making an arrest. There we have the need to have the Miranda rights read and all that which I'm doubting was done. That's where I have a problem with the interrogation. In a detainment he doesn't have to answer anything as his 5th amendment rights are Constitutionally protected. Whether or not the child knows this is in question hence the law for having parents contacted as far as juveniles are concerned.

#62 Use of Time, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  3. Sapper Woody

I can understand that, and I agree. I think the question which needs to be answered is was this all done in an oversight, or was it done on purpose for some reason? I, personally, would tend to lean towards they went overboard in trying to teach him a lesson, and that much of what was done was not with malicious intent.

I do agree with you on how it should have been handled.

4. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed on all accounts. I'm just coming at this from the perspective of a parent. If I found that my child was paraded in front of his peers in handcuffs and interrogated without my consent after the situation was quickly clarified on scene, I know I would be livid.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding a parent being present during the investigation of children, my experience with the state of California DSS was legally permitted to talk with children during the initial, or onset of an investigation.

State laws allowed that mandated reporters and on sight investigators be permitted to interview the children without parents being present. I think the law allowed this because sometimes the issues could be life threatening, or threatening to the welfare of that child or other children, and having to wait for a parent to be contacted and arrive prior to the initial questioning could HINDER and even impair the information necessary to develop ans assess the situation and take corrective actions for everyone involved.

In short. It is not necessary to gain permission to talk to children in a state licensed facility during the scope and course of an investigation concerning the safety and welfare of said juvenile(s). I think this is extended to teaching staff.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

7. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is Texas. Teachers and the press can ask questions yes, but this child was handcuffed, transported and interrogated at a juvenile detention facility while having his request to contact his family denied. We already know the situation wasn't life threatening so that doesn't hold water. Even the police have acknowledged that it didn't take long to determine that. You don't get to throw out the law because it might hinder an investigation. I've already posted the law in this very thread that is pretty clear on the procedures.

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You do realize that you're speaking to the same mindset that gave us the patriot acts, warrantless searches and seizures, mass warrantless wiretapping by the NSA, indefinite detention without charge or trial and execution by the state without due process, right?

9. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post.

That seems to be the issue, motivation. If it were a clock project, and innocent, there is the question of why someone would make something that was already a clock into another clock, which is ungainly and going backwards in terms of advancement (the goal has been for years to make clocks smaller, unless decorative, which is not.

I agree it wasn't very bright to do what he did, and it makes me wonder if the motivation was not to intentionally spark an incident concerning profiling.

You make a great point that explosives could be found in the school, not to mention that if there were a plot someone could have easily placed the necessary materials in a hidden location.

What we need to do is water-board this brat until he comes clean.

Just kidding.

But, we do need to hear from the boy his motivation. If this kind of thing interested me more, I might even look for it, but, as it stands, it seems like the situation, for the most part, was handled, though debated as to whether it was handled well or not.

It may be he treatment of the kid was a lesson the authorities tried to teach, a "scared straight" kind of thing, which is not unheard of.

God bless.

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

#70 poncho, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a perfect world, Poncho, best to try to avert attention to some of the good things that take place in this fallen world once in a while.

Here's a challenge: find something positive (without sarcasm, lol) that has been accomplished by Police Officers.

Anything.

God bless.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here’s What a Former FBI Agent Told Us

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/09/425...acebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=culture

13. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

No it's not a perfect world. Looking the other way when your country needs you to defend it most isn't making it any better.

Why? Do you suppose that's going to reverse how far this country has slid into tyranny?

Here's a counter challenge for you: Take off the blinders, ditch the emotional attachments you've formed to the state and any political party and start defending the US Constitution and your own country and countrymen from the tyrants great and small that are busy transforming into a debt ridden slave plantation.

A word from Sam Adams . . .

“If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”

#73 poncho, Sep 20, 2015
  14. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why didn't they evacuate the school or follow any other bomb related procedures? You can't arrest somebody for exercising their fifth amendment rights. I can't believe you don't know that. If he wanted to, the child could have been completely silent and refused to answer anything and the police would have to accept that. The Constitution isn't to be discarded at will.

#74 Use of Time, Sep 20, 2015
  15. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Sure it is. It's easy. The neocons proved it. Just scare the population with a bunch of bogeymen you've been funding and arming for decades and using as proxy fighters in other countries and tell the people those bogeymen will get them if we have to follow the constitution.

The government of these United States actually claims the authority to execute American citizens with no due process at all (see the NDAA) and the people don't even think twice about it. The people didn't even blink when Obama executed an American citizen with a missile from a drone without due process. 50 years ago that would have been considered murder and everyone would be screaming for his impeachment and arrest, today? People are more concerned over what Donald Trump said about Oprah.

Constitution? We don't need no steenking constitution we'd rather feel safe from outside threats than worry about threats to our liberty. And besides we all know that the only time we have to worry about the government abusing it's power or violating our rights is when democrats are in control of the government.

#75 poncho, Sep 20, 2015
  16. Sapper Woody

I wish we had a transcript of what exactly was asked of the boy. We do know, when asked what the device was, he responded with, "It's a clock". What we don't know is what were the follow up questions, such as, "Why did you bring it to school?"

Knowing this information might shed some light on why the actions that were taken were taken. I'm not condemning the boy (although, again, I don't think what he did was very bright), but I'm not going to jump on the condemn-the-police bandwagon until I have more information.

With the information I currently have, I can't say whether detaining him was the right or wrong answer. A question I do have, however, is why wasn't the school evacuated. This definitely looks suspect.

In the case of this story, it seems we (as a board and as a country) have immediately split into two factions: one who condemn the police, and one who applauds them. I'm trying not to become a part of either group until I can make an informed decision.

Poncho, I would think that you would be doing the same thing, as much as you speak out against the false dichotomy. Here is a time when that idea could absolutely be applied. It's possible that both parties were wrong. It's also possible that neither party was wrong.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking at what the kid actually brought to school automatically makes him wrong. Add to that his dad is a Muslim activist adds suspicion to this entire ordeal. Cops will detain anyone with the use of cuffs until they clear matters up. Further the school mishandled the entire thing when teachers had earlier ignored what he brought even though they had their own suspicions or knew other might. I have to wonder if there was a fear of being in trouble or made a public spectacle of should it be discovered that they were wrong.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was talking to my kids about this last night and I remembered a situation where we saw a response different than what we thought it should be but it made sense in light of who the person was. My daughter had a young man who was interested in her although my daughter was not interested in return. He still made sure to be around my daughter as much as possible and when she was in our church Christmas musical as one of the main roles, he made sure he made it to every performance. On the last night, he walked into the lobby with his heavy coat (it was December and cold outside) with something hidden under his coat. None of us though anything of it. However, one of our security people was a former Marine who served in Ronald Reagan's Secret Service and so he has a different sensitivity to things. He immediately honed in on this guy and was ready to run over to get him - but the other security man next to him knew the situation and said "It's probably Nicole's stalker with flowers." "Stalker" really keyed this guy up even more and he turned to me to ask me about it. I explained that he was harmless as far as we knew and he hung out with the group of them from work. It was really interesting to see how this guy was now on heightened alert with the stalker and ended up totally tailing him the entire night, staying not more than 10 feet from him until he left the parking lot. :) I was amazed at the skill of stealth he had!

But the take-away I told the kids is oftentimes we will think a response is overblown but when you realize the experience of the police/authorities, sometimes it makes a lot more sense. I'm not sure of all of the details of this case but I can see why the authorities might be a bit more sensitive to a child bringing in an electronic board like that and possibly being vague about it's description. Might the response have been heightened by the nationality/religious faith of this boy? Absolutely. But again, that can be from past experiences of this police force.

19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it's funny you should consider me a pawn of the government, seeing I am a small business owner who's only ties with the government are paying taxes and pulling permits.

They do not regulate my life.

So you are saying that the life my wife and I have built is a plantation? lol

The fact is you will not take up my challenge, because you know in your heart that the number of questionable events are far outweighed by the number of events where a criminal is brought to justice, crime deterred, heroes made in acts of self sacrifice.

When a child goes missing...who is it that searches for that child? Who is it that prosecutes the criminal?

Have you ever looked for a missing child? I doubt it. Why? Because there are people in place to handle those things when they arise.

Right?

So what would happen if a community were "bankrupted" and those resources were not available? Could we depend on you?

We could name any number of events where we have Law Enforcement in place, and as I said before, I think we owe it to the people who willingly put their lives on the line for the Public...not to charge them all with corruption.

As far as tyranny? Who did you vote for? The guy I voted against has strong-armed me with buying insurance that is double what I was paying for it, and if I don't...I am taxed. The guy I voted against is a man who is okay with his grandchildren being put to death.

You charge me with a scenario that will, if people do not start waking up, one day be true. The guy I voted against states he supports homosexual rights and at the same time promotes people...who put homosexuals to death.

There is no tyranny for those who respect Law Enforcement. Only for those that despise it.

So let's keep the facts straight.

And that is all the time I have today, my friend, see you at the next appointed time.

God bless.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=216&v=CEmSwJTqpgY\

The above link is a short video explaining that the so called clock in the briefcase (not a cigar box) was in fact not made by the boy but was simply a store bough product removed from its manufactured casing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.