1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

And then there were more?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Cavsfan2005, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Cavsfan2005

Cavsfan2005 New Member

Gen. 4:13 Cain said to the LORD , "My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me."

If Adam, Eve, Cain, and (by this point, dead) Abel were the only four people on earth who is Cain talking about and afraid of? And just a couple of verses later he married! where did all these people come from?

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

If their were only 4 people at that time, that doesnt mean they know that there are only 4. Since they had not traveled every square inch of the earth, he could have just assumed their more more out there somewhere.

Mike

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

There is no timeframe mentioned here at all. We don't know how much time has passed since Cain and Abel were born, or how many more children Adam and Eve lamyhave had by that time. Seth was born 130 years after creation and he lived another 800 years. We don't know when the story of Cain and Abel takes place.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

This is a good argument against the young earth theory. Obvious that Genesis skips over many generations.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

No it really is not a good argument against the young earth "theory" at all.
    How many kids do you suppose you and the Mrs. could have in 800 years? Or even in 130?
    And as Roger pointed out, though we do not know how much time transpired before the Cain and Able story, we DO know it was less than 130 years as indicated by the birth of Seth, because that is the time frame given in the Bible.
    In HIS service;
    Jim

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Cain and Able are both grown and who knows how many siblings , nephews etc they have.

Genesis 1-6 is not an exhaustive record of every one who lived for the first 1600 years - as it turns out.

In Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Bible tells us how old people were when they died and selectively picks one of their children to continue that line. The fact that all contemporaries are not listed is not an argument that the line itself is bad. I can draw a single line from my grandfather to my children and skip siblings all day long - the timeine is still good.

Though - "who knows" - maybe we will find a way to discredit the Bible's timeline. You just can't use this one.

In Christ,

Bob

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If as much time & energy were spent practicing what God DOES tell us, and quit basing so much "learning/science/knowledge" etc. on what God DOESN'T tell us, life could/would be so much simpler and easier! :rolleyes:

Speculation is fine, but when the speculation overrides the application of the "BACK & WHITE" then the devil rejoices!

9. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

Cain must have married his sister or niece, the taboo against marrying a close relative such as a sibling was not given until the law of Moses. Abraham was married to his own sister.--Adam and Eve probaly had quite a few more children.-----in HIS service------sheila

10. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

Cain must have married his sister or niece, the taboo against marrying a close relative such as a sibling was not given until the law of Moses. Abraham was married to his own sister.--Adam and Eve probaly had quite a few more children.-----in HIS service------sheila

11. Cavsfan2005

Cavsfan2005 New Member

It was jsut a meandering thought. But since Gen. 1-6 isn't an exhaustive listing then how do we know there wasn't more people on Earth?

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Good question.

I think it entirely possible that the first three chapters of Genesis, while certainly inspired and valid as a source of truth and spiritual guidance, do not at the same time have to be historically accurate in every detail.

I am, of course, not positing that these chapters are not historically accurate in every detail. Just that it isn't any less the Word of God if they aren't.

13. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Have you forgotten the storks?

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Have you forgotten the storks? </font>[/QUOTE]*RIMSHOT*

He's here all week folks. Tip your waitress.

[​IMG]

15. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Sweet, hillclimber.

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It was jsut a meandering thought. But since Gen. 1-6 isn't an exhaustive listing then how do we know there wasn't more people on Earth? </font>[/QUOTE]Though some others on this list will be fearful of this -- as it turns out the Word of God IS ACCURATE in EVERY detail that IT lists.

It tells us exactly how many people God created - (That number is TWO - and their names are Adam and Eve).

It is EXACTLY accurate in the detail IT gives.

Adam and Eve DID have "children" as mentioned in scripture and two of them have the names "Cain and Abel".

IT is "Exactly accurate" in that detail.

They are both children of Adam and Eve and their names are in fact "Accurate".

It says that there were other humans by the time that these children were adults and old enough to bring their own sacrifices (and even to have their OWN occupations).

The text is EXACTLY accurate in stating that - but the detail it gives is vague - rather than a "CENSUS" it simply notes that there are others by the time that Cain and Able are grown.

Trying "insert" evolution into these EXACTLY ACCURATE details of scripture does not work and is in fact gross eisegesis.

In Christ,

Bob

17. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Who's trying to insert evolution into Scripture?

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am just pointing out - that the DETAILS are correct. So God CREATES the world as He said and Creates exactly two humans so that as Romans 5 says because we ARE ALL descendants of that ONE MAN Adam we ALL are under sin.

If in fact there was some other human race with OTHER ancestors - the entire Gospel is called into question and evolutionism perhaps is being insinuated to allow/suggest OTHER lines of humans APART from Adam and Eve.

In Christ,

Bob