1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

And you thought Dems are the big spenders!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

We as a country face serious choices: militarism and imperialism or peace, increased wealth for the few or justice and equality for the many, increased power in the hands of the super-rich or expansion of democracy for the vast majority, ultra-right domination of all branches of government which deals with problems by increasing exploitation and oppression or progressive electoral coalitions that seek real solutions in the interests of all working people.

http://www.cpusa.org/article/static/758/

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Either we maintain world supremacy or the Chinese do. I don't believe the Chinese would be benevolent dictators given their history, recent or ancient.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Do you make it a habit to call a brother in Christ a liar? Your conscience allows you to do that? Wow.

P.S. I didn't lose any election. I checked the records...I didn't run.

I also didn't vote a straight Republican ticket...Sorry to disappoint you.

4. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The military's priority is to defend, not to kill. Although killing may happen when you are defending our country. There's nothing wrong with beefing up our national defense.

I believe that people need to free themselves from being dependant on the government for survival. If our government is big enough to give people things, then they are are big enough to take things away. Part of the risk of being independant is failure. If a person fails, they should be able dig their way out of the hole they put themselves in. I don't believe in government hand outs. If you eliminate bureaucratic organizations, then you eliminate wasteful government spending. Its simple as that.

#24 BigBossman, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

That's all well and good, but not everyone is capable of digging themselves out. How we treat those who cannot fend for themselves says a lot about a society.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And the most who are unable to defend themselves are the unborn. And you are right how we treat them say a great deal about our society.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am no defender of either the Republicans or Democrats, but the reason we now have a Democrat President and Congress is that for the last eight years, the President, who ran as a conservative, governed like a liberal. The Congress legislated like liberals for the last eight years regardless of party. Many conservatives stayed home or voted third party.

Yes, a case can be made for failures over the last eight years. From a conservative viewpoint, the two Supreme Court nominees were Bush's best achievement, plus some credit is due for keeping us safe. It is obvious the rest of his Presidency was riddled with problems, but it is now history and it is time to move on.

The comments about Reagan in this thread are unjustified. He restored the military and turned the tangled mess that Carter made of our economy around. Maybe is spent too much, but he lifted our spirits and caused us to believe in ourselves again.

These arguments between virtues of Democrats and Republicans are amusing at best and sickening if one thinks about their true motives and standards.

We have had decent Presidents from both parties in my life. Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Ford, and Reagan.

Maybe the dividing line should be between what is right and wrong, and not Republican and Democrat.

8. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member