Andersonville

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges / Seminaries' started by Dr. Timo, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo
    Expand Collapse

I got a message from a R Lawson asking about my experience with Andersonville. Back then they sent out cassette tapes and I typed my test papers to them on my electric typewriter. You could write about as many pages as you felt was needed on the subject matter. I know most Bible colleges and seminaries offer things you can do online now. Hope you find what you need!!!:thumbs: :godisgood:

2. paidagogos

paidagogos
    Expand Collapse

Elaborate please............

Would you be more specific in answering some of the following questions about Andersonville, please?

1. What level of degree did you complete?
    2. How did the rigor of the work compare to say your undergraduate studies? Also, where did you do undergrad?
    3. How many pages of assigned reading did you average per course?
    4. How many course papers did you do per course (average)?
    5. Approximately how many pages and sources were expected per paper?
    6. How strict were the requirements for papers regarding grammar, style, and mechanics.
    7. What kind of critiques did you receive from the professors who graded the papers?
    8. What types of tests were you given? Essay? Objective (i.e. short answer, multiple choice, matching, etc.)?
    9. Were the graders of your papers and tests the same professors who did the lecture?
    10. Did you have a detailed syllabus listing course schedule, expectations, and procedures?
    11. What were some representative textbooks from your courses? I am asking if the texts were standard seminary textbooks or if they were books written for general publication (i.e. the general Christian reading public)?
    12. What kind of feedback did you receive from your professors? Telephone? Email? Written comments? If written comments, how detailed were the comments?
    13. Could an undergraduate, or say someone with a couple of years in college, have completed the work without undue effort?
    14. What cognitive skills were you required to demonstrate (i.e. recall, memorization, analysis, judgment, synthesis, etc.)?
    15. Were you required to know Greek and Hebrew? If so, what level of proficiency was expected (e.g. beginner, intermediate, advanced)?
    16. How has your degree contributed to your subsequent success? Has it been accepted in the circles that you move?
    17. Did you do a thesis or dissertation? If so, please explain something of the requirements.

Many opinions have been expressed about Andersonville on this board, but we have precious little firsthand experiences that we can compare and judge the educational experience.

Thanks for your time and help.

3. PreachTREE

PreachTREE
    Expand Collapse

What's a Doctorate Ministry? DMin?

4. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo
    Expand Collapse

wow

Wow that's a lot of questions to answer!!! I think the best thing to do is check out the schools website for some of those answers. To peachtree yes I have a DMin. All of my undergrad work was done at Andersonville except they accepted the credits from the pastoral diploma I received from the seminary extension department of our 6 SBC seminaries.:wavey: :jesus:

5. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo
    Expand Collapse

best I can

1.The level of degree I finished with is a DMin or doctorate of ministry.
    2.The work was pretty comparable to the work I had been doing with SE(seminary extension). That's where the undergrad work was done it was 16 bible college level courses for a pastoral diploma. Andersonville accepted those credits.
    3. There was a textbook for each course and the seminary has an online bookstore and I also purchased some of the books from Christian bookstores around the country that have used books for sale. One thing I learned in SE was to begin to build my library.
    4. For each course there was around 4 tests that was a few pages long. Since it was over 10 years ago I don't know if they have changed anything.
    5. I usually typed a couple of pages for each test. Sometimes one more sometimes one less.
    6. They marked it up in red with the grading and grammar, style, and mechanics are looked at.
    7. The critiques were normal I would say not to much, but necessary when needed.
    8. Yes, all those things were included in the tests.
    9. Yes, the same teachers did the grading. The have many fine professors.
    10. Yes, those things are in their free catalog that they sent me.
    11. They have a specific book store that matches their curriculum. The books were not general Christian reading.
    12. The comments I got was all written but I didn't even own a computer then. The comments were very detailed and to the point.
    13. I believe that they would evaluate you on the application and give you credits from the college and then you would be on your way fine.
    14. There was very little of those things.
    15. No, I was not required to know Hebrew and Greek. Though now I know a whole lot more than when I was in school.
    16. They are an accredited school and it has made somewhat of a difference in the pastor search committees I have dealt with. I didn't attend a SBC seminary
    so my DMin is probably not looked upon the same with some folks.
    17. A thesis was required at the end of each of the degrees I completed. The theme was to focus on the specific area ie... BA: ministry; Masters: divinity; and Doctorate: ministry.:sleeping_2: :laugh: :godisgood:

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76
    Expand Collapse

I've read previous "Andersonville" posts.

The posts indicate that they are not accredited.
    Yet their website says they are.

What does all this mean?

7. Mr. E

Mr. E
    Expand Collapse

Andersonville accreditation

Good day!

Andersonville holds accreditation with an accreditor that is not recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Many perceive their lack of recognition as being of limited utility in terms of continuing education with other institutions. Furthermore, some churches require that their pastoral leadership have recognised accredited degrees. What does this mean to the student? It all depends on what your goals are.

Blessings!

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76
    Expand Collapse

Wow.

I wonder if the "if you want to just be a pastor and not a college teacher, Andersonville is ok" thought process is valid?

9. webdog

webdog
    Expand Collapse

It depends on the school. Some are decent, and some are not worth the paper the degree is printed on. From what I have read, Andersonville falls under the latter. I don't know how true that is, but this is the impression I received.

10. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo
    Expand Collapse

pastor

I guess that would depend on other things. I've taught seminary extension classes and that had to be approved by the 6 SBC seminaries. They didn't approve me to teach there because I studied there but because they recognized my degrees from Andersonville. Andersonville is an accredited school and they explain their accredidation on their website. Not being recognized by the other group has not affected me in any way.:thumbsup: :godisgood:

11. TCGreek

TCGreek
    Expand Collapse

Are you saying that regionally accredited SBC schools recognize your degrees from Andersonville, knowing that the school is not regionally accredited?

12. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo
    Expand Collapse

saying

I'm saying our 6 SBC seminaries accepted my qualifications to teach seminary extension courses by accepting the degrees from ABS (Andersonville).:thumbsup: :godisgood:

13. TCGreek

TCGreek
    Expand Collapse

So your degrees from Andersonville have opened doors for you?

14. webdog

webdog
    Expand Collapse

Which 6 seminaries?

15. sag38

sag38
    Expand Collapse

I think the better question is this. "Are you currently teaching at or for one of our Southern Baptist Seminaries be it at the main campus or at one of the extension centers?"

16. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo
    Expand Collapse

Yes, Andersonville has opened up doors of opportunity for me. There is only 6 Southern Baptist Seminaries. You can view them at SBC.net. I have taught seminary extension classes at seminary extension centers, but not at the seminary locations.:thumbs: :godisgood:

17. sag38

sag38
    Expand Collapse

Which ones? I'm not necessarily questioning your credentials. I'm just courious.

18. GODzThunder

GODzThunder
    Expand Collapse

I am a graduate of Andersonville Seminary, I received my doctor of ministry from them. all of the work was correspondence and was either listening to lectures or reading a book and taking a test that was sent to you at the beginning of the course.

While I agree that the school is not a top notch school and is indeed a diploma mill by all definitions, those who are interested in an affordable diploma (not accredited but that is not necessary in pastoral ministry for the most party) you can actually put a deal of work into your studies in the courses and get a good education out of it. However, the temptation to slide and skim through the courses is too great in my opinion. You will get out of it what you put into it. I studied the Greek language and learned a great deal of church administration that I have successfully applied in building the Church I serve in.

Of course I should say that I do have an accredited theology BA and a Bachelor of Education behind this diploma.

Again, it is a diploma mill but you can glean a good deal of education if you are willing to apply yourself. It is affordable and is a good start for new preachers who are willing to go back later to get an accredited degree.

19. R. Lawson

R. Lawson
    Expand Collapse

I tried Andersonville several months ago. None of the CDs they sent me worked. I asked for a refund, they refused. They called back 5 minutes later and refunded my money.

Later I was able to listen to a course on Daniel and the audio was terrible...

20. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76
    Expand Collapse

did it sound like it was recorded on an Edison Cylinder?