1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Andreas text and the TR

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Logos1560, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usually it is claimed that the Textus Receptus is based on Byzantine Greek New Testament manuscripts. I recently noticed that some sources claim that the Textus Receptus is based on the Andreas text for the book of Revelation, and that this Andreas Greek text differs in some readings from a typical Byzantine Greek text.

Isbon Beckwith wrote: “Cursive no. 1, of the 12th or 13th century containing the Apocalypse, with the commentary of Andreas, is of particular interest, since it was the only Greek Ms. which Erasmus had for the Apocalypse in his first edition of the Greek Testament(1516)“ (Apocalypse of John, p. 412).

In the book of Revelation, Robert Waltz maintained that the Textus Receptus has “a handful” of readings "derived from the [Andreas] commentary itself” (Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism, p. 438).

Does anyone here know what those readings in the Textus Receptus are that are claimed to have come from the commentary of Andreas instead of the Greek text copied with the commentary?

2. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a new translation and his commentary on the book of Revelation, Craig Koester distinguished between the text used in the commentary by Andreas and the Byzantine text (p. 149).

Josef Schmid classified the Andreas text as one of the four main text types or families of text for the Apocalypse.

Edward Hutton identified “the Andreas text with the great Western family” (Atlas of Textual Criticism, p. 47).

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Manuscript: GA 2081 Date: 11th Century

miniscules
    218 13th c., a reinked ms. of the entire OT and NT, located in the Austrian National Library, classified as an Aland category III in The Pauline and General Epistles, and a category V elsewhere, a short form of the Andreas commentary in Revelation
    218c 13th c. corrector most likely, a reinked ms. of the entire OT and NT, located in the Austrian National Library, classified as an Aland category III in The Pauline and General Epistles, and a category V elsewhere, a short form of the Andreas commentary in Revelation

Miniscule 218 is mentioned 23,817 times in 115 articles in The Center for New Testament Textual Studies: NT Critical Apparatus.

In the few articles I've looked at, it is listed as one among a list of many other manuscripts for each variant.

A copy of the manuscript is available for viewing only at The Center for New Testament Textual Studies in New Orleans.

Any particular variant your interested in?

Rob

4. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that there may be two Greek manuscripts that have been referred to as manuscript 1 so that one of them is sometimes distinguished from the other as 1' or 1r.

I think that the one Erasmus used for the book of Revelation was numbered by another person as "miniscule 2814."

Concerning manuscript 1’ [min. 2814], Robert Waltz wrote: “Noteworthy primarily as the single Greek manuscript used by Erasmus to prepare the Apocalypse of his 1516 New Testament” (Encyclopedia of NT Textual Criticism, p. 1037).

As my first post noted, I am interested in knowing what are those readings in the Textus Receptus that are claimed to have come from the commentary of Andreas instead of the Greek text copied with the commentary.

In searching, I have come across one such claimed reading

In an edition of the KJV with commentary as edited by F. C. Cook and printed in 1881 and concerning Revelation 21:24, William Lee claimed that “the copyist has imported into the text the words of the commentary, viz. ’of them which are saved’” (Vol. IV, p. 462).

Thomas J. Conant maintained that the words “of them which are saved” (Rev. 21:24) “rests solely on a mistake by the transcriber, who confounded the commentary of Andreas with the words of the sacred writer” (Baptist Quarterly, Vol. IV, April, 1870, p. 136).

5. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Hodges-Farstad indicate that part of one of the Andreas commentary traditions (their Me-pt, the whole Me represents 24 mss) has the addition that made it into the TR at 21:24. I'm not sure of the others. Probably a simple search of their Revelation apparatus for the concurrence of TR + Md or Me would yield more such Andreas "contaminations." E.g. the omission of TW in 22:18; the transposition ARCH KAI TELOS O PRWTOS KAI O ESCATOS in 22:13; the simple letter A instead of ALFA in 22:13; the addition of KAI before IDOU in 22:12, etc.