1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Angels and CoHabiting with Mankind?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're welcome. :)

'Gleanings in Genesis' is one of the most profound books I've read. And it's an easy read. Pink is a master at drawing out the types and allegories that the scriptures are rich with.

He referred to Gen 3:15 as the 'seed germ of all prophecy'. It is a thread that runs the entire course of the Bible culminating with the picture story of Rev 12.

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Scarlett O, I used to believe the sons of God meant the offspring of Seth. After some study, I really do believe angels and human women did co-habitate. II Peter 2:4-5 describes how the angels sinned and God destroyed the world with the flood as a result. Only Noah and his family were spared. The Bible tells us that Noah was perfect in "his generations." This is talking about his lineage and is completely different from "generation."

Look at Jude verses 6 and 7, where the angels that sinned are compared to Sodom and Gomorrha, for going after "strange flesh."
    "And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgement of the great day.
    Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."

Some folks believe the "strange flesh" is homosexuality, but while it might include that, I think it really means angels going after human women.

I believe the word "seed" actually refers to DNA, and that in the near future, Satan will try to corrupt this seed. Daniel 2:43 seems to indicate this. The kings of the revived Roman empire (feet of iron and clay) will mingle themselves with the seed of men. Notice it says the SEED of men, not just "men."

Right now we have scientists making chimeras (half human, half animal hybrids.) They have also made artificial DNA and got a microbe to accept it as a "natural" genome. This very well may be something the anti-Christ will use to corrupt the seed of man.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I might add I do not believe Satan thwarted the plan of God by deceiving the woman bringing about the lust of the man but Satan reacted exactly as God knew he would, as did the woman and man and the Christ would come into the world in the fullness of time by woman for the purpose of redeeming from the works of the devil, Satan.

I also find it interesting that the help meet for the man, the woman, was taken from him and in Heb 13:6 the same word as the LXX translated from the Hebrew is translated as the Lord my helper.

Now concerning Christ and his Bride. Who is the Bride? Those who God has given the paraklētos, the helper, the Comforter, the Holy Spirit baptizing them into Christ. Therefore God my helper.

#23 percho, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
  4. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

A chimera is a person who was once fraternal twins, but at the one cell stage they merged and formed one person.

From this come 3 types of chimera: male/male, but not necessarily of the same racial mix if there were two different fathers. This can form a checkerboard chimera. Female/female: same things apply. Male/female: this can cause true hermaphrodites. If baby A was male, baby B was female, you can get a person who is one person but both male and female.

This happens, is rare, and is a natural thing, just as identical twins, the reverse process, is natural.

Now as to the OP: thinking the line of Seth never made any sense at all to me. Always read the OT in light of the NT, which seems to indicate angels going after human women. That makes them fallen angels, not keeping to their own estate. The fact that the unfallen angels in heaven do not marry does not mean rebellious ones cannot revolt and have sex.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just have a very hard time seeing that spirit beings such as angels can carry on procreation with women, not unless they were as demons possessing men, and using their seed for that act!

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It is a deep thought but I must ask. Did the seed, egg, ovum of the virgin Mary actually become fertilized, generated Matt 1:20 γεννάω gennaō, conceived?

Was the ovum generated and did the ovum, split and grow and be brought forth as a baby, named Jesus?

Was this caused by Spirit the God?

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Uh, no. The Old Testament sets the stage for Christ's revelation, which means we must read the New in light of the Old.
    Where, exactly, does it say that, please?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jude 1:5-7
    Now I desire to remind you, though you know all things once for all, that [e]the Lord, after saving a people out of the land of Egypt, [f]subsequently destroyed those who did not believe. 6 And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day, 7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after [g]strange flesh, are exhibited as an [h]example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.
    Nasb

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

It's been quoted before on this thread, and I quoted V. 6 myself. You might want to review the exegesis I gave there. It does not say angels engaged in sexual relations with humans.

10. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Asked and answered before I got back to the computer where the NT speaks of angels going after strange flesh.

As far as how to interpret the Bible, I'll give a brief note and then if anyone wants to pursue the ideas further let's not drift but start a new thread.

Back in the 50's I was taught (SBC) you look first to what Jesus taught and allow that to explain the rest of the NT. You then allow the NT to explain the OT. So, for example, in studying John the Baptist you start with what Jesus said about him coming in the spirit of Elijah, see what if anything you could find on that in the rest of the NT, and then read about Elijah in the OT in light of that. When dispensationalism took over really strong in our area that got flipped or reversed and we were taught to read the NT in light of the OT.

Contrary to popular teaching today we weren't a bunch of flaming liberals. In fact, my home church was extremely conservative, even downright heavily fundamentalist by today's standards, and very landmarkist to boot.

End of thread drift.

As I read the Bible regarding the "sons of God" going into the daughters of men, "sons of God" is usually translated angels. So angels were going in to the daughters of men. The whole point is how abominable it is to go after strange flesh--to cross the bounds God has set. Whether it is angels going after human women, humans with animals, men with men, or women with women in is abominable and God sets the penalty for it very high. He simply does not long tolerate such filth.

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

The Bible does say anything about angels going after "strange flesh." It speaks of the men of Sodom and Gomorrah doing so. :BangHead:
    It is never translated that way. It is the way men read it that leads to the incorrect assumption.
    No.
    No. The whole point is that the godly line of Seth became enamored with the flesh of the world, rather than continuing to walk in the Light of God. It is an object lesson taught from the Old Testament for everyone since, one that is missed if the erroneous conclusion is reached that angels slept with men and women. The idea is ludicrous.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does state that they left their normal abode, and came unto women, strange flesh to them though...

Offspring were the giants, and other men of renowed of the time, so does seem to imply more than just normal male/female intercourse was going on!

Seems more like satan was trying to corrupt the bloodline for the coming Messiah, to taint the Jewish race!

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

No it does not. Not sure where you and Nodak are getting that stuff. It isn't there.
    Not if it is read properly, which is to see it as the godly line of Seth allowing themselves to be enticed and attracted to the things of the world.
    He didn't have to pollute it. All he had to do was get men to deny God. Most did. Most do.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

This topic is a wee bit over my head, but when someone mentioned that the seed of Seth was intermingled with the seed of Cain, they may be onto something. Cain met his wife and knew her, and no doubt brought forth children. So this could be what is meant in regards to the OP. Just my two pennies....

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could be true, but connection made by BOTH peter/Jude that the Angels left heaven, went after strange flesh, and were being held in a special judgement cell for that crime..

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jude DID link them together though, for just as the Angels went after women, strange flesh, in the same way men went after other men....

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother, those angels being referred to in Genesis didn't go after strange flesh...that was in reference to the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrha...

Jude1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

They were desirious of "knowing" those angels who came to take Lot and his family outta there. They were homosexuals, and only homosexuals go after "strange flesh"...see Romans 1.

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

Absolutely NOT!!! But C1 just posted the explanation, so I'll let it go at above recorded exasperated huff.

19. KRJ

KRJ New Member

I believe it happened.

I do not believe the scriptures plainly teach that angels can not mate with humans. I believe the scriptures plainly teach that an angel does not mate with an angel and produce an angel. Nothing more or less.

In addition to scriptural support already cited, I also believe there is strong circumstantial evidence for it. What evidence? Greek mythology: Zeus, Apollo, Hercules, and others; legends of "The Gods" and warriors always mighty and strong.

"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."

I believe people carried with them an oral tradition of the pre-flood world when they dispersed from Babel. I believe this oral tradition of actual events later became mythology in the telling and re-telling over centuries.

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Let me see if I can clarify my stance, though I am not completely dogmatic concerning it:

In Genesis 6, it states, " That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose."(vs 2). Now, when Cain slew his brother Abel, God thrusted him out from amongst his family, placing a seal upon him, that if any killed him, greater woe would come upon him(sevenfold). He went into the land of Nod, met his wife and "knew" her and she birthed Encoh, and Cain named the city Enoch, after his first born. IOW, Cain built his own dweling city to dwell in.

Eve then gave birth to Seth, with meant "compensation" or "substitute". IOW, he took over Cain's place in Adam's family. Cain was akin to those angels who fell, who left their first estate. He was like the angels who were bound in chains in the darkness, being thrust out from his Light source.

So, it appears to me, that Cain's seed and Seth's seed, the daughters of men and the sons of God could be the offsprings of Cain and Seth having "relations". Again, just my two pennies...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.