1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Animals in the wild

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Jun 24, 2010.

?
  1. Alligator

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Bighorn sheep

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Black bear

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Cougar/panther

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  5. Elk

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  6. Grizzly bear

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Moose

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  8. Pronghorn

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  9. Rocky Mountain goat

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. I have seen none of these in the wild

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which of these American animals have you seen in the wild? [Live view and not at a zoo, farm, fenced park, etc.]

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only one on your list that I have seen in the wild is an alligator.

I was fishing on the bayou once with my cousin-in-law. We were pretty remote. I saw an alligator swim by us and said, "I think we should turn around."

He said, "Don't worry. That one isn't big enough to gobble us up."

(I wasn't so much worried about being gobbled up as I was that first bite!!!) [​IMG]

Then he said, "That one is only big enough to turn the boat over." I think he was just yanking my chain, but it scared me anyway!

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I've seen black bears in the Smoky Mts, but I've seen a bobcat in my back yard.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw several alligators in FL in the everglades. One was about 15 feet long! Just recently I saw a wildcat near the road while driving in a rural area. We see foxes from time to time, and lots of deer, too.

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

None of the above.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone brought up foxes, though not in the poll (there are more than 9 or 10 interesting wild animals in America). My sister-n-law has been posting pics of the foxes on their spread, and some are quite good:

[​IMG]

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I voted all but elk and grizzley.

I grew up in L.A., so gators were common. In fact, our family still has a beach house in Gulf Shores and right at the end of our street is a park that usually has an alligator in it.

We also had an abundance of bobcats.

Before my wife and I were married, I was the caretaker (please, no Shining jokes) at a large Christian retreat in the Poconos and black bears were common to the point that they were pests. They rarely bothered anybody but, good night! did they make a mess. The worst part is that many of the campers and guests would actually leave stuff out to attract them.

I understand black bears and wild boar are now moving into our area, which thrills me to no end, because I used to love to hunt boar.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alcott, maybe five years ago, my daughter brought home a cardboard box. I could see from the towel sticking out of the top (not to mention knowing my daughter, who we affectionately call "Ellie Mae" because of her love for critters) that it was going to be some kind of animal. It was a fox kit that had wandered into a store parking lot looking for food (which leads me to assume he was abandoned) and was backed over by a car.

She nursed him back to health and we took him to a local game preserve and let him go. Man, he was pretty.

I've got the photos around her somewhere. If I can find them, I'l scan them and send them to you to give to your sister in law.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw a moose on the the Alcan Hwy on my way to Alaska. And I mean he was on the Alcan Hgy - I waited for about 10 minutes. He never moved, so I backed up and sped around him. I always thought about that when I would watch Northern Exposure.

10. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, my dad went to Alaska for a couple of months when I was a kid to work on the pipeline and he used to talk about the moose er, mooses all the time. He said they would just wander out into the road and stare you down and that once they did, you should make yourself comfortable because they don't move until they're good and ready.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen one moose, where Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's run together. It was 2 days apart, but I think it was the same bull moose, who seemed to be the kind, per se, of a big pond by the road. He was too far away for my zoomed shots to show much detail, but he was darker than most of them seen in documentaries, and he looked big and heavy.

I have seen 3 grizzly bears in that same area, but have not seen a black bear in the wild. In fact, the ony ones I remember ever seeing were Baylor's mascots.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Some intriguing stuff in the Southeast to see:

-alligator snapping turtles. yikes, what a scary, primitive mess. Saw one a few years back nearly the size of a garbage can lid. I took him to the ocean, sunk him a mile down, and he got so mad he bit an oil pipeline in half (not really...but he looked like he could).

-A few years back, while "crawdad hunting," I found an old swamp with (count 'em) three carniverous plants: Venus flytraps, pitcher plants (probably a hundred or more), and sundew ("sticky dew") plants. Pretty cool. Especially since it wasn't thought that Venus Flytraps grew in our neck of the woods.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I saw the bear in the Sangre de Criste mountains.