1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Animals pre-fall in the Garden

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Jan 27, 2015.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

For a good perspective on Deacon's comments, one might consider the approach that John Walton (OT Professor at Wheaton.....I think) has proposed. He proposes that Genesis 1-3 is a functional rendering rather than a material rendering and supports his premises quite well. If interested, consider his work "The Lost World of Genesis".

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My dog uses her mouth for other things besides killing and eating. She finds her fangs a versatile utility.

My cats use their claws to climb.

An elephant's tusks are essentially teeth. Do they use them only to gore?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything above stated as fact is mere presumption.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pre-fall?
    Well, they probably had stopped shedding or molting and were beginning to grow a winter coat.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I tend to think along the lines that animals would have died even if the fall of mankind had never taken place. The fall affected the first Adam and his progeny and not animals, imo. But this merely conjecture on my part...

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Looks like you have the 'thumbsup' brigade out in full force. LOL

Oh and by the way...:thumbsup: LOL

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

[​IMG]

8. quantumfaith

Just my way or agreeing or saying I appreciate what someone posts

9. quantumfaith

This statement in itself is presumption....so I guess we now have presumption squared.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone approaches scripture with their own presumptions. The trick is recognizing what they are and how they influence what we understand about what we are reading.

I'm currently reading John Walton's (and coauthor D. Brent Sandy) book, "The Lost World of Scripture" [LINK] in which he further expounds on the ideas expressed in 'Lost World of Genesis' that Quantum mentioned.

I'm finding it a tough read; my mind's not as flexible as it was when I was younger.

So far I'm only 55 pages into it but it deals a lot with the topic of this thread.

As I read it I'm comparing it to one of the most influential books I read as a young Christian, Bernard Ramm's classic book, "The Christian View of Science and Scripture" (1954). Ramm's book dramatically influenced my hermeneutical methodology (the way scripture is approached) and made me the "liberal" that I am. :smilewinkgrin:

In Walton's book, the chapters are arranged in a series of propositions (presumptions if you will) that build upon each other.

Proposition #3 is "Effective Communication Must Accommodate to the Culture and Nature of the Audience"

And Proposition #4 is "The Bible Contains No New Revelation About the Workings and Understandings of the Material World"
    He writes: "…no statements in the Bible offered the original audience new insight into how the material world regularly works or how the naturalistic cause-and-effect system operates. …the perspectives on the material world that we find in the text accommodate the Old World Science of the time and are part of the locution adopted in order to communicate clearly to the target audience." (pp. 51,52)

Rob

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about dealing with the presumptions you stated as fact? Let's take them one at a time:

The bible was written in a time and culture where science was not a priority.

Support this statement.

12. quantumfaith

To highlight this principle of (science as we know it) not being a "priority" I offer:

In North America, the Cherokee said that eclipses were caused when the moon (male) visits his wife, the sun, and the Ojibway believed the sun would be totally extinguished during an eclipse, so they used to shoot flaming arrows to keep it alight. According to the Vikings, the sun and the moon are being chased by two wolves, Skoll and Hati. When either wolf successfully catches their prey, an eclipse occurs. The Nordics made as much noise as they could to scare off the wolves, so they could rescue the victims:

QED

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It can be demonstrated that the cultures of the ancient world often developed intricate mythological systems to explain the phenomena they observed. There are exceptions to this observation.

Even the Hebrew scriptures we read how it is the Lord who is responsible for the way the world around them functions. That is not to say that their theology was wrong only that they viewed the world around them differently than we do.

We view the world we live in with a material mindset rather than a functional mindset.
    We want to know how things work, they simply want to explain why things happened.

The Genesis 1 creation story specifically counters the theology and deities of the Equptians.

Rob

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see:
    1) It is presumption, not fact, that animals physically died pre-fall.
    2) It is a presupposition, not fact, that animals did not physically die pre-fall.
    3) Speculation is the mother of mistaken doctrine.

15. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Paul summed it up quite well in Romans 1.
    Man had a way of seeing the things of God as created, but instead of worshiping God, man twisted the truth of God in his own arrogance at understanding.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More presupposition. I'll cut to the chase. You can't support the statement.

So let's take just one example. Health. There is no science more dependent upon one's world view.

Daniel and his friends. Were they truly healthier than the king's servants because they ate according to the law, or were they not?

Was God being truthful about clean and unclean foods, or was he merely accommodating the unscientific view of the time?

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the technological advances and contributions of the Cherokee are world renowned.

18. quantumfaith

That was not the point....I suspect you know that. Sure is difficult for you climb out from those small boxes that you construct around yourself isn't it?

19. quantumfaith

So what is the mistaken doctrine?

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, I'm not sure I understand your differentiation between presumption and presuppostion.

Could you explain further?

Rob