1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Animals pre-fall in the Garden

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good example let's follow this through and examine the purpose of the text.

Was it to tell us that eating certain kosher foods is healthier than eating the diet offered to them by the ancient Babylonians?
    OR
    Was it to say that God faithfully took care of his obedient servants?

IMO, the text was not meant to instruct us on the type of diet we are to eat, it was to tell us what kind of God we should follow!

The difference is a functional understanding over a material understanding.

Rob

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's always intriguing to see some who hold Scripture to a level of literalism that it doesn't presume upon itself. As a result, they are unable to see their own presuppositions and interpretive horizons within that hermeneutic.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question was, were they truly healthier?

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Thanks Deacon. I knew there had to be a reason not to eat my vegetables. Now I can hurl a scripture at my wife to support my love of steak and fries.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Now that's what Walton might call a faulty perlocution - an incorrect response drawn from the illocution (the intention) of the locution (the words, structure, genres, etc).

DID I SAY the book was difficult for me to read!

Rob

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was God accommodating the wisdom of the Egyptians when He gave those laws, or was He being truthful?

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron, I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking; please be more specific regarding what mean - it's such a broad subject.

To be accommodating does not necessitate being untruthful.

God accommodated the Hebrews by modifying aspects of Hammurabi’s code that were familiar to them.

Jesus acknowledges that God accommodated the hardness of the hearts of the Hebrew people concerning divorce. Matthew 19:7-9

Rob

#48 Deacon, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To claim we can find the answer in scripture to questions left unaddressed in scripture.

Did sin cause physical death to occur in the forms of life God created, i.e. plants and animals?

When sin entered "into the world" did Paul mean all creation or mankind?

Now I believe plants and animals physically died prefall, but it is presumption, and not derived from the teachings of scripture.

I also believe the sin that entered "into the world" caused the spiritual death, spiritual separation, of Adam, Eve, and all mankind at conception, except Jesus. But again, that is my presumption, and not derived from the teachings of scripture.

10. quantumfaith

Yes, I think we are on the "same page", however, I would not think that stating that plant and animal life experienced death prior to the fall is presumption. I think it to be pretty good and well established science.

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wherefore, as by one man *sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: Rom 5:12 *Lit. the sin and through the sin the death

For the invisible things of him from *the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Rom 1:20 *Lit. from creation of world (GK Kosmos)

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth *from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8 *Lit. from beginning

Is, from beginning, the same as, from creation of Kosmos?

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through *death he might destroy him that had the power of *death, that is, the devil; Heb 2:14 Lit. the death

Was (the) sin of the devil before, after or simultaneous with (the) sin of Adam? Did (the) sin of the devil bring (the) death to anything?

This (the) death spoken of, which the devil has the power thereof. Just what death is this?

Speaking of presuming: Does God leave it to us to presume by context whether death is physical and or spiritual or should we just read it as it is, the death?

Dying thou dost die. Is the baby not born, dead in trespass and sin, with his only hope for life, to be, in Christ and even then he dies and is dead in Christ, until the return of Christ?

Was man, Adam created a spirit being as the angels or was he created subject to death, in order to be born again as the angels, a spiritual being that can die no more?

Scriptures: Luke 20:36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection. 1 Cor 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Do we really need Bill Clinton to give us a class on, "What the meaning of is, is"?

#51 percho, Jan 30, 2015
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Quantumfaith,
    I have no comment on your assessment of science, I was addressing anyone's claim that the Bible answers the question, with any degree of certainty.

#52 Van, Jan 30, 2015
  13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Percho, try this to answer your own questions. Each time you see die, death, in scripture, write above the text spiritual or physical or both. And do not dare to let your presumptions influence your choices. :)
    When you see world in the text, write above the text "of mankind" or "plant earth", or the "physical universe"
    Ask yourself, can rocks and inanimate objects "know" thinks, or does Paul use world usually to refer to mankind?

#53 Van, Jan 30, 2015
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's your premise, not mine. My point is that what was given at Sinai was nothing like Egyptian culture or philosophy. It stands in direct contrast to it. In the case of the children of Israel, God's revelation was nothing like "dealing with them where they were at." In fact, those whose hearts were still in Egypt died in the Wilderness.

It seems your premise is invalid.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. And yet Christ went directly to the Creation Account to correct it. It seems understanding devolves further from Genesis rather than closer.

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then Aaron, if you really interested and want a more complete answer to your question you'll just have to read John Walton's book, The Lost World of Genesis One, Ancient Cosmology and the Origins Debate. That's the topic the book deals with - and his other"Lost" books.

I know, it's a cop out for me but it's a topic developed much better in his books than I can ever express in a paragraph or two in a thread. Sorry.

Rob

17. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know EXACTLY what you mean.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is. And the reason is that your premises are all too easy to refute. They were the same cliched, simplistic sound bytes through which Darwinists attempted to indoctrinate students during my high school/college career over thirty years ago.

"The Greeks made up Zeus because they couldn't explain lightning."

That's B.S., and I'm not talking Bachelor of Science.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyway, now that the Darwinists have bailed . . . back to the topic

How says teeth and claws were made to kill?

20. quantumfaith

I do.....do you? Let me guess, all animal life were vegetarians before the fall.

#60 quantumfaith, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015