1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anna Nichole Smith and the Baptist Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stevenlynch, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

That made me crack up!

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I am going to respond line by line to the below post of annsni with my own comments in 'bold' blue.

With all respect, most of this, that I have embolded and underlined above, plus underline in bold black in other places is just so much "canonized rhetoric" and/or "theological jargon" that comes nowhere close to saying what the Bible is actually saying. We hear these words uttered so frequently, that we think they are accurately expressing Biblical ideas, when they are in fact, 'clouding' the issues, instead. Please don't misunderstand that, by no means, I am saying that God is not fully able to do everything that He says He will, for He is able to do (and does do) this and far more as well, BTW. (Mt. 9:28; Eph. 3:20; II Tim. 1:12; Jude 24-25) Let me add that I am, by no means, responsible for anything you may have heard that someone else may have said, as well.

BTW, believing IS indeed easy, and salvation is entirely free - for us! The cost of our salvation was entirely borne by Jesus, and because Jesus has redeemed us, and purchased us with his own precious blood, on Mt. Moriah, we can now obtain our salvation, "without price." AND we never have our sin(s) 'imputed' unto us, since they were once, and for all time, imputed to Christ. (Isa. 52:3; 55:1; Tit. 2:14; I Pet.1:16-21; Rev. 5:9)

Once we are saved with the free gift of salvation, yes, discipleship can and may indeed cost one everything they have on this earth. Just ask the martyrs! Ask Steven, James, Polycarp, Justin Martyr, John Hus, William Tyndale, Nate Saint, Jim Eliot, Cassie Bernhall and Rachel Scott. They can tell you that discipleship is hard, but not salvation.

End of Part 1. Part 2 to follow.

Ed

#42 EdSutton, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
  3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Part 2
    Let's not get too hung up on the late Anna Nicole Smith, since she is no longer around to defend herself. Let's pick, for an example, one who can defend himself, namely me. I claim to trust Jesus for my salvation - am I really saved, by your standard? If one says "Yes!" - by what standard?

Should one say "No!" - again, by what standard? Who is determining the standard, here? Who sets it? What is it? And who died and left them this job??

Only God can say who is or is not saved, certainly. Remember, one is saved by believe/faith in/on the Lord Jesus Christ, and that alone, and this is not determined by being correct in doctrine, that I can find. Or 'lifestyle!'

'Tare plucking' is not included as any part of my job description, and in fact was prohibited, if I recall (Mt. 13:29), lest the wheat be uprooted by this, but is one reserved for the angels (Mt. 13:41). (I'm pretty sure God's angels, under His personal direction, are fully 'up to the task!') :godisgood:

BTW, there are about 185 references to sheep in the NKJV. I have read each and every one of them, as found on Bible gateway, as I was composing this post. I did not find a single reference to the words you said about anyone claiming to be a sheep, while not being a sheep. This is merely more spiritual sounding words, that say nothing, generally speaking, regardless of how well intentioned.

Scripture knows nothing of any distinction between one who is saved and one who is "really" saved, 'truly' saved, 'genuinely' saved, or the worst of all of this spiritual and religious sounding 'HOG SLOP,' "really, truly, and genuinely saved." Or is it 'HOG WASH?!' (Strongest words I can think of to use, here, and remain in good standing on the BB!) One is saved, or one is lost (unsaved) - no in between. There are no degrees of Salvation! There is no such thing as one third saved or 43 or 62% saved!

The very most I can do, Biblically is to 'observe' fruit. You might note that I expressly did NOT say "Be a fruit inspector!" as so many do, when wanting to judge another's salvation. (I don't work for the USDA!)

I choose to, and will leave the "fruit inspection" up to the one God assigns that responsibility to, namely the Holy Spirit. I'm sure He is MUCH better qualified for this, than I am (Although I NEVER
    cease to be utterly and continually amazed at the number of Christians who seem to think otherwise!). :rolleyes:

Leaving this up to Him, seems to work much better, for me, at least.

It is my responsibility to present the message and to attempt to aid others in their Christian growth and walk. I attempt to do this, and intend to not try and place myself on any 'Bema' in order to compare myself with another. :thumbs:

Finally, I'll offer that our experience, often is a very poor teacher, and may be very skewed.

I hope I haven't rambled too much, in covering these important things.

Ed

#43 EdSutton, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
  4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A (former) nun for a soul-mate worked for Martin Luther!

Ed

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I need to expand on what I said, here, lest I leave a false impression, by my response. What I was intending to get across, is that the response of stevenlynch would be humorous, were the hypocritical, legalisitic, judgmental situation he is addressing in Mexia not so sad, especially considering he mentions Westboro, meaning the Westboro Baptist Church.

Unfortunately, FBC, Mexia, TX, and the Pastor, the Rev. Marcus Sheffield, look good, only by comparison with the Westboro Baptist Church, Topeka, KS, and the Pastor, the Rev. Fred Phelps, in my unvarnished opinion.

I shall not further dignify these individuals and churches with any more unearned and undeserved respect, again IMO.

Ed

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Proverbs 13:15b says this, as rendered by some varied English translations.
    Pretty much sums it up, and all say about the same thing in a nutshell, IMO.

Ed

7. Spinach

Spinach New Member

One word.... Solomon.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How about we use some New Testament examples???