1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anne Rice: "Christ The Lord out of Egypt"

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jul 4, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Christ the Lord Out of Egypt

I had a church member loan me a copy of this book wanting me to read it. He was very impressed with it. Has anyone here read it and if so what are your thoughts?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read a few reviews of people who have read the book and it's pretty much agreed that while her poetic use of words is impeccable that the story is a little flat.

But these same reviewers were people who read her previous works which were all about vampires and demons. One wouldn't expect any of those fans to enjoy reading a fictional account of the childhood of Jesus Christ.

To sum up what I read of the reviews, it's about the fictional struggle that the 7-year-old boy Jesus has with coming to a full understanding of who He is. It's about Joseph trying to protect Jesus from the stories surrounding his birth, primarily Herod's insanity and the killing of all of those baby boys.

Because Anne Rice has turned to God, as she puts it, and has childhood roots in Catholicism, she writes Mary as a perpetual virgin.

It's also touted as a simple story about Jesus' extended family and family friend while living in Egypt.

I don't know if I am going to read it or not. I have no trouble with someone who is a student of history, as she is, writing a fictional "biographical" account based on and being faithful to all that history tells us of that time and those people.

I'm just not sure if I want to read the account that has a Catholic slant to it.

The most important thing that she said in the book, as I read from the reviews, was in the epilogue.

She said that anyone who studied the historical accounts of Jesus Christ could do nothing except come to the conclusion that the resurrection of Jesus Christ as being literally true.

She says she is a changed woman and will no longer be writing dark stories of evil supernatural events.

I am excited about that, whether I am excited about her book or not.

3. Karen

Karen Active Member

I have not read it. If reviews are accurate at all, I wish she had not used the device of telling the story through a first-person 7-year-old Jesus.
    I don't have a problem with writing a story that expands on a Biblical character such as books about Ruth or David.
    But somehow this seems to me to subtly cross a line in speaking of the Lord in ways that are only guesses. And some very inaccurate guesses.
    Attributing ideas and motivations to Him.

4. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I would stay away from it. The Catholic ties have already been mentioned and we know that "evil communications corrupt good manners." I know that Rice also still promotes her Vampire books and fanclubs (she's catholic what do you expect?) and vampire ball and what not in New Orleans. Not to mention the stuff is fictional, no merit to it and could gear towards blashphemy and certain dishonesty (fabrication of the thoughts and intents of our Lord). What I have seen from it sounds completely apocryphal.

Stay away from it, read the Gospels. Tell your church member thanks but no thanks.