1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Annointing with oil for the sick...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by annsni, Aug 1, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

I refuted it long before you posted it. See my post with RWP comments. You do not post an understanding based on anything other than what you want rather than an educated understanding of how it was used. Then you run out and post the first thing you find that agrees with you with no knowledge of who the person is or their world view. That is certainly your prerogative but it brings question to your understanding of what you are even posting.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see...the RWP comments are inspired now.
    False accusation.
    Like I said prior, I have an understanding of what it means to be annointed. I gave the historic background on what it means, and then cite another author who also agrees with my understanding. You do nothing but call out my qualifications in understanding this text...and then supply your own author, that for whatever reason, must trump my understanding. If anything I think it is apparent who is looking for something to grasp at. You then fail to supply your qualifications that negate my understanding as being uninformed on this topic. I would like you to deal with ANNOINTING WITH OIL, from how it was defined in the OT to how is is further refined in the NT.

If you cannot have a meaningful discussion about the topic, no sense in going further.

3. mandym

mandym New Member

Exactly, no sense in going further.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No problem, but would like to know on what authority you stood on in making the comment "With all due respect you are speaking on something you have no real understanding of."

5. mandym

mandym New Member

I gave it in my post with RWP. And I can supply at least 3 or 4 more if you would like. Your comment said that it could only have been ingested rather than rubbed.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not sure how that would help as I could do the same.

Also, I never said anything to that fact. Please read what I wrote instead of what you would like to hear.

Fact is you never engaged me on the purpose of anointing and the context involved, but rather cited one source that appears to be the end-all, be-all in defining the purpose. If you want to believe that, that's fine...but do understand it is not the ONLY (or most accurate, IMO) rendering. No need in calling out the qualifications of those who you disagree with simply because they disagree.

7. mandym

mandym New Member

Sure you did post number 46

I am not going to restate things already said in this thread. You need to go back and read the rest of it.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You just proved my point. I said "The medicinal qualities would have most likely came from ingestion, not topical usage." We are discussing severe illnesses most likely life threatening, not as my daughter would say "boo boos".

Just did prior to your post. My point remains you have no leg to stand on in making the statement ""With all due respect you are speaking on something you have no real understanding of."

9. mandym

mandym New Member

Your bold changes nothing

Sure I do. You reduced the use of oil to simply ingestion. That could not be farther from the truth.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:BangHead:

:wavey:

11. mandym

mandym New Member

Ok well God Bless

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just want to address the ingestion/application issue. The passage says "if any of you are sick" - meaning ill, not injured. So we are applying oil to a person who is ill. So assuming the oil was medicinal, how would that work for an ill person?

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It would make their insides real slippery. :laugh:

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Yup, that it would do ! (but hey, who knows, a good laxative could be just what the doctor ordered :) )

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Already addressed:

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Everything but headaches would be topical.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I'm not against it, but if you want to do it right you have to use 'Three-in-One' oil.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's why we give oil to horses! To help keep things lubricated and to give them extra fat. Trust me, you give them enough, you know it from the barn chores. :laugh:

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, you absolutely have a point!!