1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anointing with Oil - James 5

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by rlvaughn, Apr 20, 2001.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to spark some discussion of James 5:14 - "Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the names of the Lord: 15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up..."

The most popular "interpretation" among Baptists of my acquaintance is that the oil here refers to using medicine in conjunction with prayer. I see this as a pragmatic and/or fright driven interpretation - because of faith (fake) healers and charismatics we flee to the opposite extreme. I do not believe the oil here is application of medicine because: (1) it would make physicians of the elders; (2) it would recommend oil as a universal remedy for sicknesses; (3) it is the prayer, not the oil, that is credited with healing power; and (4) it is the Lord, not the oil, the raises the sick from his bed.

What think ye?
    [​IMG]

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I must agree with you. I actually brought this up not too long ago in my church when my daughter was sick, and was told that if the person requested they would do it. It seemed as if they never had before though, and I know of no IFB churches that do. I'd have to say that I have the feeling that the problem is a lack of faith. People have a tendency to look at things from a practical perspective, and instead of annointing with oil as told they go with what makes more common sense.
    Anyhow, I believe it means oil, and even if he said to hop on one foot while performing the annointing we must do so if we want God's healing.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Our church practices annointing with oil when the requests are made.

I do not believe healing is through the oil, but through the prayer and faith in God.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think this where it is thought that anointing in James 5:14 is a medicine, ==Definition
    anything smeared on, unguent, ointment, usually prepared by the Hebrews from oil and aromatic herbs. Anointing was the inaugural ceremony for priests ==

I would think actual anointing is oil poured on, that sounds more like it in the O.T., this definition says rubbed on. Saying it is pouring oil as in the O.T., rules out the use of medicine.
    That would mean each time you take an aspirin, or go to the doctor you violate this verse, and therefore disobey God.
    Any method used when sick needs to be accompanied with prayer of course.
    So far all I've seen is the anointing of kings and priests in the Bible.
    But, what ever I guess.

5. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Baptist John Gill said this:

anointing him with oil, in the name of the Lord; which some think was only done in a common medicinal way, oil being used much in the eastern countries for most disorders; and so these elders used ordinary medicine, as well as prayer: or rather this refers to an extraordinary gift, which some elders had of healing diseases, as sometimes by touching, and by laying on of hands, or by expressing some words, and so by anointing with oil; see #Mr 6:13 which extraordinary gifts being now ceased, the rite or ceremony of anointing with oil ceases in course: however, this passage gives no countenance to the extreme unction of the Papists; that of theirs being attended with many customs and ceremonies, which are not here made mention of; that being used, as is pretended, for the healing of the souls of men, whereas this was used for corporeal healing; that is only performed when life is despaired of, and persons are just going out of the world; whereas this was made use of to restore men to health, and that they might continue longer in it, as follows.

And the Geneva Study Bible said this:

5:14 {9} Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with {g} oil in the {h} name of the Lord:

(9) He shows peculiarly, to what physicians especially we must go when we are diseased, that is, to the prayers of the elders, which then also could cure the body, (for so much as the gift of healing was then in force) and take away the main cause of sickness and diseases, by obtaining healing for the sick through their prayers and exhortations. (g) This was a sign of the gift of healing: and now seeing
    we have the gift no more, the sign is no longer necessary.
    (h) By calling on the name of the Lord.

6. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

The context clearly shows that ultimately, the Lord does the raising up, and the prayer at best is an instrument used by the Lord, and the oil is likely an accessory to the prayer intended as symbol of setting apart the sick for God's will. This interpretation fits well with the statement "the prayer of faith will save the one sick." IMHO

Chick

7. ervin

ervin New Member

Wouldn't anointing with oil be a literal practice which is symbolically represetative of the Holy Spirit?

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ervin - It is just that in our church. IF a believer calls for the elders, THEN we anoint with oil and pray over him/her. The symbolism in the Bible of oil is overwhelming and not lost on the people.

Good analysis.

9. NateT

NateT Member

just last week at a Bible study, we were sharing miraculous things God had done in our lives recently. One lady said that either that sunday, or the previosu sunday (not sure which) she went forward during the invitation and was prayed over and anointed because she had a terrible pain in her side for 3 days, by the time she walked back to her seat, the pain was gone.

It had to have been a God thing.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I share a story? Some from the old BB know, but others may not --

My wife was terminally ill. MD's gave 3 months to live. I was out in meetings in So. California and she was bedridden at home, being taken care of by her mother and my three teens.

She was lucid enough one day (usually more like an Alzheimer patient and not recognizing anyone) to pray with the family for God to heal her OR take her home. One of my children asked if she had done everything possible.

She admitted she had not had the church anoint her and pray over her. So mother called the pastor (Wed afternoon) and asked if she could bring my wife to prayer meeting and have whoever felt led to lay hands on her with oil, and pray for her.

Got her bathed and dressed and were ready to head out the door when the Pastor called and said, No. He did not feel comfortable doing that, especially with her husband (me) out of town. If I were there and leading it, then no one would feel it wrong to lay hands on her and pray. He didn't want to touch another man's wife (that was his story).

Weeping, mother put my wife back to bed. But 20 minutes later a Unitarian friend from Wisconsin called. He was traveling thru and, even though it was Wed pm and he figured we'd all be in church, he called.

When he found out how seriously ill Teresa was, he gave us some herbs and natural remedies he had gotten fron China. Had no one answered, he would have just continued on.

God was in this all. These herbs were the catalyst for healing and within days my wife was able to talk and get out of bed; within a few months she was at 95% functioning. She then went back to grad school, and now my wife is an herbal natural health doctor with a large clinic right here in Wyoming.

God answered the prayer of faith - even though our pastor and men in the church did not do a thing! It was the sincere prayer of faith of my wife that God heard. And blessed me and my children, and now, every day as she works with people who have been abandoned by conventional medicine, she is God's hand for healing thousands.

Baruch haba b'shem Adonai!
    Blessed be the Name of the Lord!

11. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

Dr. Bob,

Did you further consider what would have happened if your wife had been anointed with oil, and then received the herbal treatments? The ones anointing with oil would have claimed it was the prayer with oil that did the trick.

Thank you for your story,

Chick

12. atestring

atestring New Member

The next time you, or someone you love is sick: try it!
    Call the elders of the Church.
    Ask the Elders to annoint with oil..
    Ask the Elders to pray in Faith..
    Agree with them and pray in faith yourself..
    James 5 also includes forgiveness for sin in this passage. You and the elders can came as David did and say Search me O lord and see if there be any wicked way in me...
    Leave the results in God's hands but obey God's word that is our part. God will Do His part!

13. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good story Dr. Bob! Enjoyed reading it. [​IMG]

14. Missionary Steven Komnick

Concerning the doctrine about "prayer while annointing with oil" we can observe these facts:
    A) The Charasmatics with their fake faith healers have false doctrine.
    B) Unfortunately, well over 90 percent of Baptists also have need of the truth concerning this issue.
    C) The truth is just what the Bible says! Believing prayer while annointing with oil (THE OIL IS A SYMBOL OF GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT) brings forth HEALING; thanks and praise to God!
    D) In the same way that Baptists (I'm a Baptist by the way) shy away from the truth about this matter, unfortunately the vast majority of Baptists also shy away from the teaching of Jesus in Luke 11:5-13 about praying repeatedly and persistantly for HOLY SPIRIT ANNOINTING POWER TO KEEP MANY PEOPLE OUT OF HELL! http://www.geocities.com/savedbytheshedbloodofgod/best7.html?986535365030 http://www.geocities.com/SavedByTheShedBLOODofEmmanuel http://www.geocities.com/savedbytheshedbloodofjesus/22.html
    Rev. Steve Komnick, Missionary/School Evangelist

15. keylan

keylan New Member

It occurs to me that when the Apostles were sent out they were instructed to anoint the sick with oil -same Greek word as in James I believe.
    What if this was done not only to benefit the sick person -by touching them -kinda like what a nurse would do when caring for the sick. But also to keep the heads of the Apostles from geting to big since they had been given a tremendous amount of power, it would have been a humbling, loving experiance to have gone into a home and applied oil to someone who was sick -not to mention that the Jews of that time veiwed sickness as unclean and were taught not to touch unclean things. Maybe this was as much for the "healers" heart as the sick person.

16. tlange

tlange New Member

We have practiced prayer and anointing for many years at our church. The pastor always gives an explanation before he does it and reminds people that he does not have the gift of healing and that the oil is the symbol of the Holy Spirit. He reads the appropriate passage from James 5.

I was surprised to find out how many churches do not do this!

I think it is a matter of obedience to the Word of God. "Is any sick among you??" and then the instructions are given.

My thoughts....

17. broltaylor

broltaylor Guest

I have pastored the church where i am now for 4 years and have never annoited anyone with oil, but many times from the pulpit I have offered to, but as the Bible says, they must request it.