1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anointing with oil

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: (KJV)

I am curious if this is a common practice in our churches and if so, how is this passage interpreted and applied? What procedure does one use to fulfill this mandate?

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I don't recall ever seeing this done in/by any Baptist church I've ever been to. It was not uncommon to see back when I was younger and attended Pentecostal churches.

3. Haruo

Haruo New Member

We have done it once or twice at Fremont in the 12 years I've been here. Never seen it done in any other Baptist church. So I'd doubt it's "common" practice among Baptists. But I can't see any reason to object to it. James quite clearly recommends the practice.

Haruo

4. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Since this is in James, I can separate the idea from Paul's instructions to the Corinthians and the frequent idea of certain men having specific gifts of healing (when they obviously really don't). The WOF (Word of Faith) movement especially!

Would oil be mandatory? I don't know. I don't think a fingertip of olive oil on the forehead would hurt anything. James seems to support that.

My concern would be: Who actually are the Elders of the church? They must be mature men of faith, grounded and filled with the Spirit(of love).

I used the phrase "filled with the Spirit". But this is not the same phrase that charismatics or WOF folks use.

In my simple mind, I think that the Elders are called upon, they go or the sick come, they simply anoint with oil and pray over the person (in faith). It should never be a show. Do it privately. To me it's like anything we as individuals do. If we do it to please men, we have the reward of men. If we do it to please just the Lord, then we have His reward.

I'd like to see it done in Baptist churches. It is so very crystal clear what James is saying.
    Done well (according to James), I could accept it in my Baptist church.

In my mind, this practice could easily and clearly be separated from the mis-use of tongues and prophesy.

Dave

5. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

In 17 years of pastoring Baptists Churches I have participated in this approximately 5-6 times. I do not have a problem with the literal interpretation of this scripture. I am very quick to admonish that the oil has no spiritual properties, ie. saving, healing, drawing power. It is only a measure of obedience and the oil is used in "type" to signify other spiritual principles. It is like the water in baptism.

Thanks -------Bart

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Excuse my ignorance on this matter, but what is the significance of oil?

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

James didn't mention a fingertip of olive oil on the forehead , nor did he mention doing it in church,his instructions were to call the elders to you, where you are, meaning they weren't in church. If you were in church you should have to end for the elders, they're already there.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

USN2, Oil is symbolic now but during the time when the gift of healing was still active, the great men of God would use both common medicines (such as oil) and prayer for their sick. The use of olive oil was one of the best remedial agencies known in Bible times. They used it internally and externally. It is obvious in Mark 6:13 and the verse mentioned above that medicinal value is attached to the use of the oil and emphasis is placed on the worth of prayer.

Do remember, tho, that the Bible tells us that Jesus was poured out, as oil, in death. Symbolically, we annoint with oil and pray, accepting His will and His sacrifice.

God's faitfulness to take care of our needs never ends! His mercies are fresh every morning! In gladness we give Him praise!

Pastor Bob, Our pastor and deacons will go, when called, to pray for our sick and annoint them with oil. We've had no such service on Sunday mornings tho, but I would not have a problem with the practice as long as it was done in a very humble way. James goes on to say...
    Diane

9. David Mark

David Mark New Member

I know. I gave it some thought and almost removed that statement. But then I rememberd the original post and kept that phrase. There has to be some way to get the oil from the bottle to the person.

So I kept that part. [​IMG]

No one in my church calls themselves Elders. ;)

Dave.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Done it frequently. Just a few weeks ago we had a man diagnosed with cancer and he asked the elders for anointing. We did. Sweet Hour of Prayer, weeping, outpouring of faith.

He called
    Elders came
    Anointed with oil
    Prayer of faith

I'm about ready to call them about my foot. "Lay hands on my feet" sounds odd? :eek:

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "But a certain Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion, and came to him, and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him."

In all medicine (except modern Western medicine) both oil and wine were use medicinally. My wife has some oil from the Middle East that we use almost exclusively. With a camphor base and other substances, it is the same formula used in imperial China in 3000 BCE. Absolutely amazing stuff.

We who depend on allopathic invasive medicine, a relatively modern development in the field, it seems counter-intuitive. But wine and oil ARE good medicine!

12. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Brothers and SIsters,

I've only seen someone anointed with oil in a Baptist Church twice. To be honest I think that I see people come forward for prayer all too seldom.

It's sad that some people are ashamed to come forward even when they are sick. I do not see anything charismatic about it. I've heard it labelled pentacostal or charismatic too many times.

To God be the Glory!

In His Service,

Brooks

13. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the churches I have been involved in, all Baptist churches of course, two of them practiced anointing with oil. In the other two, the subject never came up while I was there.

I agree with a the one who said that it is not a charismatic or pentecostal practice but a Bible practice. As such, I would not hesitate to follow the Scripture in this area.

My resources are limited as far as researching what actually took place when one was "anointed with oil." I have a book entitled Illustrated Manners and Customs of the Bible, but it is very vague on the subject.

I am interested how this practice is carried out in our churches today. In the two I mentioned, the oil was simply placed on the fingertips and then applied to the forehead of the person being anointed. The leaders of the church would then pray for the individual. This has been done at the person's home and at church, usually following the evening service and not as a part of the service.

14. Omega

Omega New Member

James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

I saw this done once in my church, around 23 years ago. A brother in the church had cancer, and called “ for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord ”. About three months after that
    he left our church (a church he had long been faithful to) and joined a Charismatic/Pentecostal Church. We were told by the pastor that he felt a need for more spirituality(I guess more than Baptist could offer), but we wished him the best. After about another month he past away. A sad story anyway you look at it.

Well the first thing I took notice of was “let him call for the elders of the church”. Three important words “ let him call ” , if there is no call from the sick for this then it is not done (well at my church). As for the Charismatic/Pentecostal people selling their anointing oil on TV and their many other claims. The only words I have for them are in Acts 13:10.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree, Omega, and noticed this was post #1. Take a minute and introduce yourself up in the WELCOME forum. Let folks know where you're from.

I ask folks where they're from. If they're from Wyoming, they'll say, and if not - don't want to embarrass them. :eek:

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

I know. I gave it some thought and almost removed that statement. But then I rememberd the original post and kept that phrase. There has to be some way to get the oil from the bottle to the person.

So I kept that part. [​IMG]

No one in my church calls themselves Elders. ;)

Dave.
    </font>[/QUOTE]We don't have elders either, we have deacons.
    My point wsa just that I think it measn something outside the church.
    And like Diane said olive oil was more then a cooking oil then, it was also a medicne, both internal and external. SO the bible times people reading it would know what it meant, to use prayer and medicines. Since no longer use it as a medicine we have lost some of the meaning of it.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Only problem is doing it in church isn't biblical.
    Not certain is there a verse that tells us to lay hands on the sick and pray for healing?
    Isn't it better to pray for God's will for the person?

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

It seems in one of the few places in the bible it tells us about them using oil as a medicine they used it directly on the injured area. Not sure how the forehead comes into play in it, we aren't given that instruction are we?

19. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure you can make this argument. What James is saying is that the request must come from the sick person. It does not forbid this practice at church. To say that has to happen in the individual's home would eliminate those in the hospitals.

I'm not sure either. I assume it ties in with Samuel anointing Saul and then David by pouring oil over their head. That is the purpose of this thread, to find out how it is being carried out today, but most have not addressed this aspect of the anointing with oil.

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

My 2 cents worth:

Call for the elders can be anywhere! If the person who is ill or heartbroken is in church, let them call for the elders to come and pray over him. We've had many times when someone needed prayer for deliverance from alcohol or another problem where they would go forward and ask for prayer and pastor would call the men of the church forward to lay on hands and pray.

As for the oil... the forehead would be an appropriate place since someone might have colon cancer and it would be pretty odd to annoint their tummies. It's symbolic now... but reminds me of the verse:

Oil is mentioned with gladness and as a sign of gladness and blessing! Ask God expecting a healing!

Diane