1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anointing with oil

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Debby in Philly, Feb 23, 2005.

1. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

I went to one FWBaptist Church that anointed anyone that was sick and requested. They got a new pastor and he started anointing by proxy...in other words you could go forward and ask to be anointed for someone you knew to be sick, and the elders and deacons would put their hands on your and pray while the pastor anoited with oil.

My father was a deacon for many years and resigned as a deacon because he didn't believe in anointing by proxy.

2. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is taught in James 5. There is no healing efficacy in the oil - it is symbolic of the Holy Spirit. What your deacons did, Debby, was not Biblical, because it specifically says the anointing and prayer are to be done by the elders of the church. (I shouldn't say it wasn't Biblical - it's always good when people pray, but it was not the prayer and anointing spelled out in the Bible.)

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry for the semantic problem here - In my church, the deacons ARE the "elders." That is, those who make decisions on spiritual matters in the church. It was the assistant pastor who used the oil first, then passed it to each of us. I do not mean to debate "who is a deacon" here. That has been covered at great length elsewhere on the BB.

4. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

I pastor a small SBC congregation, and I have no problem annointing with oil, as long as the scriptural requirements of James 5 are met (i.e. that the person ask, etc.)
    We recently (last Sunday Eve.) had a member ask for the annointing and prayer for his health problems during the time of invitation, and in accordance with the scripture we did so.......
    Incidentally, I give praise to God that the next morning he was walking without his cane, was measurably stronger, and his breathing problems have abated.
    God Is Good!

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise God for that answer to prayer!

Has anyone heard of doing it in a wedding, as I mentioned before?