1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anointing With Oil

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Seeker Of Truth, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Seeker Of Truth

Seeker Of Truth New Member

Is James 5:14 saying that the elders of the church must anoint the sick with oil in a literal way? I know there is no healing in the oil itself and is a symbol of the Holy Spirit, but must we follow the ritual of pouring oil on the head of the sick? The baptist churches practice this with the sick?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've been to services where I've been anointed with oil. It's obviously sctictly sumbloic, but so is a handshake, and that symbol has a powerful connotation. I don't think it's a mandate for the NT church, but it's a valid option.

Now I frequently anoint my salad with oil in an effort to cast out calories. Does that count???

3. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

We do it when praying for the sick and they ask us to in our church. Other times we lay hands as a church on the sick and pray for them. Other times we simply pray for them. We leave the healing up to the Lord in each case.

Bro Tony

4. jaded_chaos

jaded_chaos New Member

I've been to a church where they anoint people with oil, but we just got a drop of oil on our finger and touched them and prayed for God to heal them. We left the healing up to God too of course as Bro Tony stated. It was symbolic but also a nice thing to do I think for those sick in the church to know they're cared for greatly by the rest of us.

I opted out of it at first though because it wasn't something I had ever witnessed before and wasn't comfortable with it.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe the elders coming and anointing with oil was not just symbolic. I believe it was medicinal as well. They often do a similar thing today in hospitals. When a person is sick their skin dries out and it feels good for them to have someone rub them down with oil. Oil also warms the body and helps to make the skin feel better.

Mant times anointing is legitimately viewed with suspicion because of the crooks.

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

It is Biblical for the elders of the church to annoint with oil and pray for the sick.

7. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Now that was funny,John.

I think using oil is leaning towards being charismatic

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now that was funny,John.

I think using oil is leaning towards being charismatic </font>[/QUOTE]I like spinach salad with hot bacon grease on top.

9. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

That can't be good for ya! [​IMG]

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It tastes good and makes my cholesterol go down. Since I ahve been eating low carbohydrate food my cholesterol has gone down to 130 and my triglycerides is at 58.

My grandmother who ate those sorts of things all her life died at the age of 97. My dad is now 75 and doing very well. Still works hard.

11. BM

BM New Member

SampleWow, I think using oil is leaning toward what thus saith the Lord! Who can argue with that?

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We practice it. Obviously has to be for major issues (not a cold or hangnail) but if folks call us, we elders will go and anoint with oil - we have some oil from the East, not wesson oil!

And pray.

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Oil from the east? That sounds interesting....what do yo mean? Like special anointing oil?

Honest, I don't know.....

14. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I call olive oil-Gods oil. Cook our pancakes in it every Sunday.

15. mioque

mioque New Member

bapmom

I can't speak for dr. Bob, but most folks who desire to be anointed when they are ill are less than pleased when you show up at their house with a supermarket bought plastic bottle filled with sunflower baking oil.
    So instead the elders of my church show up with a nice bottle filled with oil prepared by me that smells like roses, bokhur or frankincense.

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Here's the thing

I won't chastise you if you do

Don't chastise me if I don't

I know people who "insist" that oil be used according to the epistle of James.

I remind them that Jesus healed with spit---do we want to use that process, also???

Then sometimes Jesus healed from a distance! Sometimes He healed "hands on"
    Sometimes He healed with a word
    Sometimes He healed without a word

Naaman was healed by dippin' into muddy Jordan.

If you "hang me up" on insisting oil be used---I can "hang you up" on which label---black, green, red----and which store--Wal-Mart, Jitney Jungle, or Piggly Wiggly!!!

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Thanks mioque,

I get it now. [​IMG]

18. TomMann

TomMann New Member

The bible instructs us to be baptised and we do... the bible instructs us on the Lords supper and we participate in it.... And in James the bible says the sick should call the elders of the church.... I just believe that if we do what he instructs us to do.... we are being faithful and accepting of his Lordship over our lives.... This past May an xray reveiled a large spot on my lung.... Catscan showed a three inch diameter tumor... Needle biopsy reveiled adenocarcinoma... My first treatment was before the Lord, being annointed and prayed over in our sunday service.... I had in my mind the fella in the old testament who was allowed to die because he sought the physicians before he sought the Lord....

2 Chron 16:12-13
    12 And Asa in the thirty and ninth year of his reign was diseased in his feet, until his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease he sought not to the LORD, but to the physicians.

13 And Asa slept with his fathers, and died in the one and fortieth year of his reign.
    KJV

Now today, the tumor is reduced grately in size and we seem to be headed for a happy ending... Chemo and radiation have been effective.... Still, all is in God's hands whether I stay or go. Whether we live, we live unto the Lord and whether we die, we die unto the Lord.... Whether we live or die we are the Lords.... My bible says that I present myself a living sacrafice unto the Lord..... and after that it ain't my body or even my life anymore.. It is His. I must admit I was looking forward to seeing him sooner than later.... but that too is up to Him...

19. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

The "OIL", in and by it's self, isn't worth much, however if you'll mix about a "mustard seed" worth of "FAITH" in with it, then it can move "mountains".

BTW, who want to "wash my feet"??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Now that makes better sense!!

I did go to a church down in the state of OK that once a month washed each others feet. :eek:

It seemed a little weird to me.