1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

another bible question on aobrtion

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by UnchartedSpirit, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

UnchartedSpirit asked:

Someone may have already spoke of this, but I heard that in a past episode, CSI's main character mentions that the Bible recognizes life as being when blood passes through the heart, and that as such maybe a good compromise would be when the fetus begins to develop blood and a heart. Is this true/right?

Your source has the facts a little mixed up.

In the episode titled "Secrets and Flies," which aired last November, Cat Willows (the principal female CSI) got into an argument with a doctor who headed an organization that "adopted" unused frozen embryos. This doctor was portrayed as a person of faith of an unspecified Christian denomination (though Cat seemed to assume she was a Roman Catholic).

When she explained this to her boss, Gil Grissom, he suggested that she should have cited Leviticus 17:11 as the last word on the subject: since "the life of the flesh is in the blood," a frozen embryo can't be considered alive since it does not have blood for 18 days after conception.

Obviously, Grissom (who is himself characteristically cryptic about exactly where he stands on the issue) - or, more accurately, Grissom's scriptwriters - have misappropriated the verse. It isn't talking about when life begins. Rather, it prohibits the eating of blood, because of the close linkage between blood and life. Of course, just because an embryo has not yet developed the capability to produce blood, does not mean it is not alive. (Are single-celled animals like amoebas and paramecia not alive?)

Just as an aside, here is what I wrote at the time.

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Where in the Bible does it say anything at all about the life or death of a blastocyst?

How then can the life or death of a blastocyst be a major factor or theme in the Bible?

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Craig,
    Your posts go way beyond disagreements on theology within the Baptist faith. Its like you belong in another denomination, but from what I know about the major protestant faiths, you would not fit in there very well either.

You all talking about CSI need to get a life.

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

You all talking about CSI need to get a life.

Do you make a habit of intruding on threads that don't interest you, just to express your lack of interest in them?

Who is it needs a life?

5. Craigbythesea

Oh, I’m sorry! I did not know that the teaching that a blastocyst is a human being is one of the Baptist Distinctives. :D

By the way, do you know what the Baptist Distinctives are? Or do you just think that being a Baptist is believing the way that you do? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Baptist distinctives are the things opposite of what you believe, Craig.

7. Craigbythesea

Here is what I believe,

The Word of God – I believe the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the inspired Word of God, inerrant in the original writings, complete as the revelation of God's will for salvation, and the supreme and final authority in all matters to which they speak.

The Trinity – I believe in one God, Creator and Sustainer of all things, eternally divine existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit; I believe that these are equal in every distinct perfection and they execute distinct but harmonious offices in the work of creation, providence, and redemption.

God the Father – I believe in God the Father: an infinite, personal Spirit, perfect in holiness, wisdom, power, and love. I believe that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of humanity, that He hears and answers prayer, and that He saves from sin and death all who come to Him through Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ – I believe that Jesus Christ is God's eternal Son, who has precisely the same nature, attributes, and perfections as God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. I believe further that He is not only true God, but true man, conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. I also believe in His sinless life, His substitutionary atonement, His bodily resurrection from the dead, His ascension into heaven, His priestly intercession on behalf of His people, and His personal, visible, premillennial return from heaven.

Holy Spirit – I believe in the Holy Spirit, His personality and His work in regeneration, sanctification, and preservation. His ministry is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ, to implement Christ's work of redeeming the lost, and to empower the believer for godly living and service.

Man – I believe God originally created persons, male and female, in the image of God and free from sin. I further believe all people are sinners by nature and choice and are spiritually dead. I also believe that those who repent of sin and trust Jesus Christ as Savior are regenerated by the Holy Spirit.

Salvation – I believe in salvation by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I further believe that this salvation is based upon the sovereign grace of God, was purchased by Jesus Christ on the cross, and is received by faith, apart from any human merit, works, or ritual. I further believe salvation results in righteous living, good works, and proper social concern.

The Church – I believe that the Church is the spiritual body of which Christ is the head. I believe that the true Church is composed of all persons who have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit. I believe that this body expresses itself in local assemblies whose members have been immersed upon a credible confession of faith and have associated themselves for worship, for instruction, for evangelism, and for service. I believe the ordinances of the local church are believer's baptism by immersion and the Lord's Supper. I also believe in the interdependence of local churches and the mutual submission of believers to each other in love.

Separation of Church and State – I believe that each local church is self-governing in function and must be free from interference by any ecclesiastical or political authority. I further believe that every human being is directly responsible to God in matters of faith and life and that each one should be free to worship God according to the dictates of conscience.

Christian Conduct – I believe that the supreme task of believers is to glorify God in their life and that their conduct should be blameless before the world. I further believe that they should be faithful stewards of their possessions and that they should seek to realize for themselves the full stature of maturity in Christ.

The Last Things – I believe in the bodily resurrection of the saved and lost, the eternal existence of all people either in heaven or hell, in divine judgment, rewards, and punishments.

[​IMG]

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Where is blastocyst found in scripture? Isn't that just a word designed to make murder more palatable?

9. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Craig

You never addressed my question. If the Bible never says when life begins am I free to beleve it begins at 12 years old? And is there scripture that forbids me from killing 11 year olds.

10. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

The Bible describes the prenatal state of John the Baptist in pretty lifelike terms.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Craigbythesea is pro-life, but his role on this board is frequently to make sure Baptists do not go on believing in anything mindlessly.

11. Craigbythesea

Hey, Dude!

You are even smarter than I thought you are—and that is pretty smart! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

couldn't God have placed some other curse on Eve, like one that wouldn't have caused fimism to exist to cause me all thie turmoil? Why didn't he prepare for this that was coming?

13. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

couldn't God have placed some other curse on Eve, like one that wouldn't have caused feminism to exist to cause me all thie turmoil? Why didn't he prepare for this that was coming?