1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another bit of Rob Bell media

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Apr 26, 2011.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't find anything out of the ordinary there.

The Gandhi question always seems to come up in these conversations. I think this question has the wrong focus. It's not "how can someone as 'good' as Gandhi" go to hell"? Instead, it is... "how can ANYONE go to heaven?"

The answer from Scripture is that there is no other name than Jesus by which we must be saved. It doesn't matter how "good" you are or how much you have accomplished. All that matters is whether or not you are "in Christ" because Christ is the only way to the Father.

Now, do I have proof that Gandhi is in hell? Of course not. I do know, however, that the only way he could be in heaven is through Christ.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A few quotes that make me say "He doesn't get it" but then that doesn't surprise me since Rob Bell is his pastor. Oh - and he's been going to that church for years and never met the pastor? That's just weird.

"I believe the discussion itself is divine." HUH?? So the discussion is God??

"If we could figure God out, he wouldn't be that impressive." One day we will see Him face to face and I'm sure He will still be impressive.

He is saying that it's wonderful that his pastor is questioning Biblical teaching. I don't think it's that wonderful.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No one can figure God out. Fortunately though, God has revealed Himself. So while we may not be able to figure God out and put Him down on a schematic drawing, we can know Him through his written Word.

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are instructed to tell the world. Not to convert the world but merely, to tell (warn) the world.

I think back to the three days before my acceptance of Jesus as my Savior. For sure, I was under conviction and that was the most miserable of days for me.

There was a man living across the street from me at the time and all I knew about him was that he was a preacher. I didn't know what kind of preacher but that third evening I was knocking on his door. The rest is history.

As it turned out he was a Missionary Baptist Preacher.

For some reason I just can't seem to grasp the sincerity of these church leaders who long for national media attention. It's like, "Hey folks, look at me!"

I'd rather sit under the pastoring and leadership of a humble man of God.

Bottom line is however that until the Lord moves on a lost soul there isn't much anyone can do.

#5 HAMel, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011