1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Another Boom Coming.....

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by kyredneck, May 21, 2014.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

Two words: "Google fiber." Coming to a city near you.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Portable, privately owned nuclear power will always have to be prohibited.

Which is ZACTLY what I'm talking about.

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't matter what I think, the power industry will do it out of necessity alone.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Limited-use generators have been on the drawing board for years, with regulations and protocols developed for small municipalities and individual industrial usage. That's what I mean. I'm not talking about Prof. Brown and his portable nuclear reactor mounted on the back of a Delorean.
    Which may be clean -- and it is -- but will be no less expensive, and in fact will probably be more expensive because of investment and startup costs.

5. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see what is wrong with gasoline. It is estimated that we have another 500 years worth of it.

As for the power grid, it was attacked in the San Jose area a year ago in a terrorist attack and needs to be hardened. That it is barely adequate is a long-standing problem. Afterall, the country is nearly bankrupt.

As for railroads, freight is making a comeback but the right-of-way is lost in many areas. People want bridges and underpasses at every crossing anymore so don't look for the railroads to make a comeback.

We need to keep our cheap coal-fired electric plants here in the Midwest and this move to use the EPA to do what Congress won't do is probably illegal but try and find a federal judge that worries about legalities.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Meet the Chairman of the Board of TerraPower.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

And the chairman of GM will tell me her company is robust and healthy despite having to recall 13 million vehicles so far this year. But then, she don't know diddly-squat about cars.

Bill Gates doesn't know diddly-squat about nuclear power, but I'll give him this, he's got money and might be able to fend off the mega-energy companies that want to put him out of business. Lest we forget, Gates is all about money, and will likely sell to the highest bidder -- assuming the government lets him develop it.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

All the money Gates has & he still cant get his hair to look normal...LOL.

Not on the same level, but I watched so called entrepreneur, Michael Dell attempt to buy his way into the Electrical Supply industry & try to control it. 5 years later, he was running for cover (long story).

But with all that money behind him, Bilbo could make an impact if he wants to (providing the govemint stays outa his way). At least it should be interesting to watch.

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....which is one of the reasons I'm positive about this.

...man, such negativity, what's the matter with you people? If the company goes public I may invest myself.

'The gubmunt' is not hindering gen 4 R&D, it has awarded grants for funding it.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

If you can cite evidence of one single thing the government has encouraged research in, and had it turn out positively, I'll consider I am wrong. I can't thing of a single valid example. As I mentioned, the government was responsible for killing the railroads. They joined forces with Ford, GM and Chrysler to sink Tucker -- with the Big Three then adopting, over the next 20 years, virtually every idea the man had for auto design.

You have as little confidence in this government being able to walk and chew gum at the same time as I do, and you think its "encouragement" will make Gen 4 succeed? Please don't send me any of your Kool-Aid.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill Gates ain't Tucker.

I'm not giving out any Kool-Aid, and 'the gubmunt' has zilch to do with whether this venture succeeds or not, private industry is the real driving force behind this:

Global Market Overview 2014: TerraPower Partners with Toshiba

B&W and TerraPower Announce MOU for Collaboration on Innovative Generation IV Nuclear Technology

....and 'gubmunts' other than our own:

Indonesia Firm Says Bill Gates’s TerraPower Could Build Nuclear Reactor In Kalimantan

They're also in talks with China but for the life of me I cannot get any link to that to post on this thread, it's 'forbidden' 404 code and all that!?!

#31 kyredneck, May 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #32 kyredneck, May 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014