1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another CAFTA Vote Story

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jul 29, 2005.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. - For weeks, Rep. Robin Hayes (news, bio, voting record), R-N.C., was colorfully adamant in his opposition to the Central American Free Trade Agreement.

"What does CAFTA sound like? NAFTA," Hayes declared. "It's not in the best interests of a core constituency I represent. Every time I drive through Kannapolis and I see those empty plants, I know there is no way I could vote for CAFTA."

But an hour into what is normally a 15-minute roll call — and still short the votes needed to avoid handing President Bush an embarrassing defeat — Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., told Hayes he could promise increased GOP attention to the challenges China poses to the domestic textile industry.

Hayes switched his vote, and the agreement passed 217-215.

- rest at SOURCE

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

He wasn't the only member that they bribed into supporting CAFTA, there were others who were told that if they didn't support CAFTA then the GOP leadership and the administration would make sure any bills they introduced would fail.

It's scary to me to see how easy it is for these politicians will sell out their principles in the name of compromise.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good ole George--he helped American farmers! This restores my confidence in ole George's political abilities of back scratching.

China was an issue with Indiana congressman Dan Burton from the Indianapolis suburbs.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's more like "good ole George" sold America down the river.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's nothing new, JG. It's been going on for a couple of hundred years and is not likely to change anytime soon.

We don't have to like it , though. Do we?

6. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, Carpro, if they sold out to end abortion, then they would be principled and unwilling to compromise. It all depends on whose ox is gored as to what kind of name you get called. I can't see that the far right was hurt at all by this minor business deal but I guess they are agains fair and free trade. They should listen to Dan Burton's speech on the issue but they probably are too busy to spend 5 minutes worrying about the fragile democracies watered by Ronald Reagan to care about the fate of the lesser nations of the world.

Dan Burton was a leader in the passage of CAFTA.

http://www.house.gov/burton/

7. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

8. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

------------------------
    And if the government would fine all farmers who hire illegal immigrants 10,000 dollars a pop, per incidence, and make them pay matching FICA, (if they could produce a SS#), I dont think all those hoosiers would call this a "minor business deal".