1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another hypocrite

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Magnetic Poles, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yet another Christian morality crusader caught with a hooker. Just another cancer on the church of Christ.

Click Here

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

When a soldier is fallen in the line of duty we mourn as we should. Ephesians 6 Paul wrote that we battle not agaisnt flesh and blood but against Satan. when God's people fall it should grieve us that one of his soldiers has fallen to the enemy. But those who hold a low view of the righteousness of God will cheer it on and disdain the fallen. This is very sad.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

People in my state, neighbors have been hurt by this man. Lots of North Carolinians are on this board and may be in his association. This could be very close to home.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So true....

5. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I don't cheer anything, and do feel both chagrin and concern for the "fallen". But one thing I believe we have to deal with is the idea that a certain kind of emotion-laden religion, whether fundamentalist or liberal or somewhere in between, has an erotic quality to it, and is associated with sexual acting out. I have seen it too many times ... some years back I remember feeling dismay as there were no fewer than eight pastors in the D. C. Baptist Convention who were going through divorces related to adultery. They were all over the theological spectrum, but their one commonality was their evident pride in their preaching ability. They seem to have thought of preaching as bringing the congregation to climax.

Well, I cannot fully interpret it, but it seems a short step from pride in one's preaching to sexual sin.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is certainly hard for a lay person to understand that connection. One thing that stands out is the fact of leadership and the increased resonsibility it carries. While we all sin and fall short of the glory of God, the fact remains that hundreds if not thousands of saved and lost people's thoughts are influenced by their leaders and leaders from afar.

If I am a Sunday morning pew sitter, the action probably just hurts me and my family. If I am a deacon it hurts the entire church. If I am a pastor, it hurts the church and community. There is no telling how many people this person affected.

Those called of God to leadership ministries must realize their actions reflect others. On top of this, how does this make us as a body look to the lost.

What irks so many is those who pound the pulpit against sexual sin, drunkedness, etc and are in fact doing the exact same thing behind closed doors. How can anyone take this seriously?

It is sad, tragic for all concerned. One has to wonder how long this has been going on.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting.....and well said.

I think there's a short step from pride in any position of leadership to sexual sin. We see it everyday. Presidents, Congressmen, CEO's, religious leaders, celebrities, and more.

Perhaps when one is in a position of "control" over the lives, including the emotion state, of masses of people, one could get a god-complex. When one is their own god or the controller of the masses, then the rules don't apply anymore.

When in a state of pride in one's status and dominion, one believes that rules are for the weak and the herd-mentalities. When one is in control, one makes the rules.

Perhaps that why God used the insignificant people over and over in the bible.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This quote particularly saddens me

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't know what you mean by bringing a congregation to a climax. If that means, to have a congregation have the Holy Spirit flow from breast to breast and the service end with a "lifted up feeling", then I totally disagree with you.
    I tell you what they had in commonality is they didn't have the real thing. Oh, I know that very few will agree with me and that is ok. No its not ok, for that kind of upholding someone in that position is what has led to this condition the churches are in. The Lord said there is nothing that shall not be revealed and to me this is that revelation, that these people were wolves in sheep's clothing. Such doctrine that a "saved person" can commit any sin the world commits is leading the churches down a dark path.
    Now, you can jump me, and we see how fast this thread changes from "condemnation" to upholding one of God's fallen saints.

#10 Brother Bob, Jul 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Without commenting on this person's salvation or lack thereof, I agree 100% with this post. When the Lord calls a person to leadership, that person is called to a higher standard, as many are influenced by him and many are watching him, especially in the world of the lost and dying.

I too fail to see the connection between the feeling of power being in the pulpit and sexual sin. We all have a job to do on this earth, and mine should be no more or less tempting than anyone else. The higher up the chain you are, the more damage one causes. Why does a job involving control over others lead to sexual sin any more than my job at the bottom of the food chain? Ridiculous. The only thing one could say about it is that me acting like that would cause lots less harm than this person.

I wonder how long this has been going on? How would the world or anyone else feel by someone who has told us how evil adultry, stealing, etc are, and after church, hop over to the sleaziest motel in town and do the exact same thing.

Good post Bob, and the more we get out of the ministry, the better, otherwise we are no better than the Catholics.

12. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I have never heard of Mr. Privette. However, I would point out a couple phrases in the article that I pray we keep at the forefront of our minds when considering this matter:
    • "was charged"
    • "Privette's alleged actions"
    • "If the allegations prove true"
    • "Creech said charges against Privette"

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Sex scandals have become more prominent in Baptist circles recently, with clergy sex-abuse cases recently shocking churches in Texas, Missouri, Kentucky and Florida.

Certainly. But Baptists are people who yield to the temptation of sin just like other people in other denominations.

It is in no way a condemnation of the entire Baptist church.

Each Baptist has to account for his own life and there is certainly nothing in Baptist doctrine that can account for any individual's choice to sin.

14. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Two posters have suggested that they do not see the connection between power, preaching, and sexual sin. I understand. I do not fully see it either, being no psychologist. But I do know that I have observed it more than once.

Maybe Richard Foster, the Quaker author, and his writings on "Money, Sex, and Power" can help us understand this. Another anecdotal -- and therefore unscientific -- observation came from a friend of mine who discovered that when he attended state evangelistic conferences there were hookers lined up to meet the preachers! He thought that some of them did business ... just his observation, for what it's worth. Maybe erroneous.

Is this maybe akin to addiction? You preach passionately and get a "Wow, wonderful" response, including some hugs and adoring remarks. Next week you want it to be as good or better, and there are more affirmations that get a little physical. And on it goes ... until you have to have yet more and more.

Since I am tomorrow preaching from Exodus and am going to be teaching that book this fall, I am also interested in the power-sex-religion connection expressed in the Golden Calf. Clearly that was a fertility religion memory, and the text seems to suggest that Aaron saw its use as a means of getting power for himself.

Religion, sex, power -- all tied up. I do have to say that I find it hard to be forgiving and understanding of pastors who fall into this trap. I just do.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I will amen that Joseph M. Smith. The rest, I do not equate to. I preach and let the Spirit work, and pray we have an uplifting meeting according to His Spirit.

16. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have met Mr Privette on more than one occasion a number of years ago. I pray that this is not true. I pray that it is some kind of misunderstanding. The last thing God's church needs is another black eye.

17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having been a pastor and having long close association with a large number of preachers, I have noticed a connection between private struggles and public messages. Those who struggle (or hate themselves for not struggling) against sexual sin usually spent an inordinate amount of time preaching about sexual matters. Those who struggle with pride tend to hammer on pride. Those who struggle against becoming drunk (or who have a long history of drunkeness) are often rabidly anti-alcohol.

You can tell a lot about a preacher by the issues they tend to favor.

(If anyone is wondering, my sermons tended to hammer on the need for Christians to love each other and invest our lives in helping others... and that's my primary weakness. If I won't love others, everything else I do is meaningless.)

Has this man claimed he is without sin?

Has he claimed that he is free from this sin?

Has he claimed that he has overcome this temptation?

Just because someone fails to live up to the fullest expression of their message doesn't mean that their message is invalid. The message must be judge according to its own merit.

18. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scarlett:
    So true; this brings to mind modern politicians.

And one must remember that old cliche'
    "There, but for the grace of God, go I!", keeping in mind that without His guiding and correction, any one of us could be in that situation, or worse.

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. ---- Go and sin no more!"

19. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Wow: I have not seen Richard Foster referenced on the board. :thumbs:

If we are talking about the same Richard Foster, he is part of the "Evangelical Friends" branch of Quakerism, and there is an EF church here in the Richmond area (in Hanover). They are a fantastic church, and I have had the privilege of worshipping with them on a couple of occasions.

Excellent post!

Regards, hope all is well,
    BiR