1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Another man beaten to death

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Gina B, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisnumbersdisconnected

One more time: Why don't you trust the police?

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Why do you keep trying to build the same old strawman? She's answered your "question" by showing it for what it actually is. An accusation posed as a question.

Being alert to the "ever-increasing heavy handed methods from the powers that be" does not equal distrusting the police. Get it?

#42 poncho, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yep. On top of my lack of desire to interact with someone who has falsely accused me of a crime and called names repeatedly.
    Figure the sound of silence speaks louder - and also makes for a great song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

#44 poncho, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Now that I've seen how this investigation went, I won't trust them not to side with police in the face of overwhelming evidence. If the guy had been provided with an interpreter later, or had there been any apology after the realization, and had the DA not said the deaf man was "lucky to be alive" and that the police would have been justified in killing him, it might be somewhat different, but it's not.
    When it becomes okay to immediately mete out the death penalty for what an officer deems non-compliance, which is apparently not much and can obviously be misunderstood, (Oklahoma is not a place where it is legal for an officer to stop and demand id if you're not a suspect, and giving verbal commands in the dark to a deaf man and claiming non-compliance and punching him in the face doesn't fly in my book) how is an investigation going to pan out?

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=2091208&posted=1#post2091208

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina - you're only thinking about this from one side.

Gangs will "initiate" new members by having them shoot or shoot at policemen or other known armed personnel. In fact, they used to shoot at the entry control gate of McChord AFB because they knew the guards were armed with M-16s or M-4s. Apparently, you're "tough" if you've got enough "guts" to sneak attack a police officer or someone you know is armed.

Policemen routinely have to deal with belligerent law-breakers, drunks, and belligerent drunks.

Put yourself in the trooper's shoes: You're walking up to this man, without any idea of whether he intends to use you to "make a point"; or how he's going to react to you. You're walking up on a vehicle that was identified to you as the suspect in a hit-and-run; what's going on in this individual's mind? Why did they hit the other vehicle and then drive away? Are they going to continue to try to get away? What will they do to avoid being arrested?

And then, you see the guy reach for something. You've got a suspected individual who already tried to get away from a criminal incident; what's he reaching for?

Consider also: What other belligerent law-breakers, drunks, and/or belligerent drunks have you already dealt with during your 8-12 hour shift? How many times on this shift alone have you already placed yourself in harm's way?

Consider also: You have kids, Gina. A husband. Family who loves you.

How are YOU going to react, Gina?

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Don, I understand what you are saying in the issue with the deaf man. Had it not gone as far as it did, I would have been sympathetic to the beginning issue. But how long does it take to realize what is happening? How badly was he injured first? Had he later been provided with an interpreter, it could have changed my perspective some. Had they expressed any regret, it could have changed how I felt.
    The final point of no return for me came from reading the DA say that the police had the right to kill the man.
    Of course, there's the video. I felt that it didn't support the officers - it actually just supported what the man said from the beginning.

By the logic being used, every human is a justified threat. That isn't logical. Why is this area of this particular state having so many problems all at once? That in itself is a giant red flag.

#47 Gina B, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
  8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Police Shoots Homeless Man (Milton Hall) 46 time in 5 Seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC3OAMi9kjY

"Three days before Independence Day, Milton Hall died in a fusillade of police gunfire outside a strip mall. He had been arguing with officers in a parking lot next to a shuttered Chinese restaurant when he was shot, in full view of passing motorists and while he was holding some sort of knife. Saginaw County Prosecutor Michael Thomas said later that the squad of police confronting him opened fire "because apparently, at this point in time, he was threatening to assault police."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cAAM4TXPdw

"The mother of a 14-year-old arrested over Memorial Day weekend on a Miami beach is accusing police of brutality, after officers forced her son to the ground and put him in a choke hold. Police accuse the teen of "clenching his fists" and giving officers "dehumanizing stares."*

Miami police slammed and choked 14-year old Tremaine McMillian. Why? Was it the threat he posed by walking away? The puppy he was holding? The lack of being armed? The "dehumanizing stares" he made at them? Cenk Uygur, Ana Kasparian, and Ben Mankiewicz break it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgdN_y9D--M

#48 poncho, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.