1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another new Guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by glfredrick, Aug 18, 2010.

1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Missed this thread first time around, but a couple of you have already been introduced a bit via thread interaction.

I'm a middle-aged bi-vocational SBC pastor, grad of Boyce College and Southern Seminary with an emphasis in North American Missions/Church Planting.

I read a lot, take long walks on the beach at sunset, small talk with a loved one, cuddling... wait, that's not me. :saint: I do read a lot -- about 3 books a week on average for the past 38 years -- and I enjoy multiple different avenues in life (including the beach if I can ever get time off and money all at the same time). I'm currently working a secular job as Grounds Manager for Southern Seminary via a management firm under contract. Along with the family (wife, Kathy -- married 33 years; son, Jeremy -- married, two grandchildren; son Greg -- engaged) we enjoy doing radical off-road stuff with custom-built Jeeps and trucks, camping, fishing, and other outdoors activities.

I've done the senior pastor thing for about 8 years, have been associational moderator, NAMB Nehemiah Project trained church planter and church planter assessor, and have filled in several other staff positions in the church. I've pastored SBC and GCGB churches, and have either planted or helped to plant new congregations for both organizations.

My wife and I, and our oldest' son and his family are all currently members of Sojourn in Louisville. Kathy and I lead a community group and help out with other ministries as time allows. Plus, Kathy and I also do some marriage mentoring, with an eye toward restoring failed or almost failed marriages using a biblical model for marriage.

I was one of the researchers for Thom Rainer's book, The Unchurched Next Door, and did the transcription for Ed Stetzer's book, Planting New Churches in the Postmodern Age. I also edit and format doctoral dissertations for a good number of graduating doctoral students at SBTS and other campuses.

Glad to be able to join the discussion! :1_grouphug:

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Welcome aboard!! :wavey:

I knew some folks at Boyce (e.g., Hershel [sp?] York) and have some acquaintences at Southern Seminary.

God bless you, your family and your ministries! :thumbs:

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Thanks guys...

I know Dr. York well. I had the pleasure of sitting under his teaching in preaching practicum. Evil genius that he is, he made us diagram a sermon a day in Greek... :thumbs:

5. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Hello and welcome.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Interesting history. Welcome to the board.