1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another online seminary question

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Saulnier, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Saulnier

Saulnier New Member

So I have been a public school teacher for the last 13 years. God is calling me to full time ministry. I am 36 with a wonder, supportive wife and 2 small childeren. As such I can not just quit my teaching job and go to seminary. I will have to go the online route at this time. I have been looking around the forum and reading the post about acredited and non acredtited schools.

I would like to get some oppinion on the schools that I am looking at.

I will probably go for a Master of arts in Christian Education.

In no partiular order I am looking at:

Liberty University

Dallas Baptist University

Tell me what you think of these two schools.

Saulnier

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both are fully accredited, so either would probably work. However I am bias towards Liberty. :wavey:

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Don't know where you may be in TX, since it is a big state, I know, but if you are near any of the largest cities, you might wanna' check out potential evening seminary, and/or secular and Christian college classes, as well. You might be surprised at what is available there. You might want to consider Luther Rice, also, for distance learning. I know none of this answers your question as you asked it, but am giving this for information purposes.

Houston - Houston Baptist Univ., Rice U.

Dallas - Criswell Col., Dallas Theological Sem., Dallas Baptist Univ., Southern Methodist Univ.

Ft. Worth - Southwestern Baptist Theological Sem., Texas Christian Univ.

Abilene - Hardin-Simmons Univ.

Waco - Baylor Univ., Truett Sem.

Longview - LeTorneau Univ.

Plainview - Wayland Baptist Univ.

These are a few of the better known schools. And some of these have multiple campuses, with centers such as Wayland in San Antonio, for example.

I notice that you are listed as SBC. Several of the above are SBC, as well. I'm not advocating any of the above, per se, for I don't know enough to do so with the possible exceptions of Dallas and Southwestern Seminaries, which I can generally recommend.

BTW, welcome to the BB. Hang around a while. :thumbs:

Ed

4. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saulnier:

If you are a public school teacher, I assume you have a batchelors. If you want an M. Chr. Ed, you have a few options.

In Houston, Houston Baptist has an M. Ed., but not specifically Christian Education. Likewise for U of H. SW Baptist Seminary offers a M. Chr. Ed, and they have a campus in Houston and Fort Worth. College of Biblical Studies (www.cbshouston.edu) has some good programs, but no masters degrees. I know nothing of Dallas Baptist.

Dallas has other options, I'm sure.

Another route is to take classes via distance learning, as I am. Liberty has a pretty well-respected program, as does Southern Evangelical Seminary (www.ses.edu).

5. Saulnier

Saulnier New Member

Thanks for the information posted so far.
    I am in Houston.
    I am looking for a degree from a respected institution. I can not afford to spend money on a degree that will not be respected or appreciated.

The college of biblical studies has a masters program thru DTS.
    I am supprised at the range of cost. Some cost around $15000.00 and some are more like $30000.00

I have been a "high capcity" volunteer for the student ministry at a large church in northwest houston for about 5 years. I teach middle school shop classes for a living. I am becoming disenchanted with teaching in the public schools lately and find myself thinking about student ministry and small groups ministry quite a bit.

I think that a Ma in Christian Education will give me the foundation that I need to pursue either of those positions.

Thanks again for the info and keep it comming.

Saulnier

6. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Mace

IMHO you can't go wrong with either Liberty or Dallas Baptist. They're both solid schools. DBU's MACE program seems to be only 42 credits--18 credits less than the typical MACE or MRE degree, however. Liberty's MRE program is more traditional. Good luck!

Tom

7. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

My recommendation for what it's worth

Do you mean a masters in Christian education as church education (e.g. Sunday School, etc.) or do you Christian education as in Christian day school education? There is a vast difference between the two. Either way, I would recommend a strong program in Bible and theology rather than methods courses. Methods are rapidly changing and become quickly dated. Also, there is less academic content; it's "how to" type training.

Would you consider a thoroughly credible and reputable South African school? I recommend your consideration of SATS (http://www.sats.edu.za/index_new.html). Or, you might possibly consider CES (http://www.columbiaseminary.edu/) or Whitefield Theological Seminary (http://whitefield.edu/). If you don't mind the Pentacostal theology (Assemblies of God), you may check out Global University (http://www.globaluniversity.edu/), which is fairly inexpensive, accredited (DETC) and distance education. What do you think?

8. pops

pops New Member

Seminary question

Moody has a online program - I don't know how you would spend as much money as you quoted when you are going to be part time and online which would mean probably two courses at a time and working too ought to be enough.

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Liberty will give you the most flexibility. Check in with them.

Why are you becoming disenchanted with teaching in the public schools. It would seem that you have a ministry right there. Please share your thoughts. I would love to hear what you are thinking.

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saunier Response

Hey Brother:

I do not mean this the way I know it may sound:

Why can you not, "As such I can not just quit my teaching job and go to seminary?"

I don't understand? why not? I was a Union Journeyman Pipe fitter Welder, which was a very lucrative job, and I "just quit" to go to seminary. I was 30, with a 3 year old daughter, a 6 month pregnant wife, $1800 cash, and left it all.

I would probably be asking your same questions if I were where you are at this stage with all of the on line programs out there.

And I do not want to say that my life is the paradigm for all peoples, all times, in all places. But it seems to me that many (not you necessarily) who seek a short and easier route to ministry may be missing a greater blessing than they may have known otherwise.

I went on to get enough education so I could teach college or seminary and do some work in theology and history and rhetorical writing. If I had not gone the direction I did I would never have known that God had called me to a greater work that I would realize on a lesser road.

This is not to be viewed as Pharisaical, just a small push to get you to consider that the ministry should be given our all and our best. And many times that is not the short and easy way.

Just my two cents worth!!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

But Rhet, with today's new delivery systems for delivering an education, he doesn't have to quit his job to pursue a masters degree from an accredited seminary.

Liberty is affordable and excellent.

12. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul 33 Response

Paul,

I am glad to hear from you. See my above quote.

I probably would want to do the same thing our brother is doing if I was where he is in time and space. And I thought of another issue too. I felt a call to the preaching or pulpit ministry not to that of a "second man" as they say in the IFB circles.

To the brother who asked the questions in the OP: I would caution you to major on the major rather that majoring on the minors.

That is; Bible, Theology, Church History, Biblical Languages, and some (if absolutely necessary) Church admin and the "minister of basketball" "fluff stuff" where most of our youth programs are focused now. Teach the Bible and all of its cognates and maybe-just maybe-some of your young people will turn out NOT LOOKING LIKE THE WORLD.

Amen (or Oh me!)?

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I agree 100%! Focus on the major! All the methodology stuff will have to be relearned later or on the job. It is constantly changing. But Bible, theology, history, languages - that's the core!

14. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Right!

AMEN! And AMEN again!

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I cast my lot with Liberty and Luther Rice (whatever they call themselves now).

16. North Carolina Tentmaker

I will second that, or third or fourth or whatever we are up to. Somebody told me one time to "Keep the main thing the main thing."

I would add that some managment or leadership classwork can be beneficial. If you are going to be a pastor you will be running a business and if you have no business training I would take some. Yes I know that is not as important as the Bible classes and to really help it needs to be a biblical management class not secular.