1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another plea for help

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by TaterTot, Jul 15, 2006.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Maybe I have a hole in my head for asking the peanut gallery this, but here goes:
    I have always felt that part of my calling was to raise up/disciple musically church musicians. I have a private piano studio of 12 students. It has been larger but I have not taken any new students in the past year or so in order to downsize a little. This past year was chaotic as I began a new teaching position and as I tried to juggle the other responsibilities of church, motherhood, and pastor's wifing. Bottom line is this:
    There are 5 I want to keep as I see potential and a heart for worship in their musicianship. How do I get rid of the others? (4 of the 5 are church members, and the rest attend elsewhere.) ok, shoot away....

2. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

Tell them the truth. Ask if they want to continue to learn and ask around to see if there is another teacher that you could refer them too.

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

Cheryl did the same thing. She had 14 students. Went down to 9 and the next year went down to 5. Each time she explained her time conflict with the parents. She kept those who had seniority.

She also researched other piano teachers that openings and gave that information to parents.

Are these students from your church? If you cut one because they don't have as much potential, but they have been a student longer, thay may lead to other issues.

My pianist at church is highly sought for private lessons. She has a limited number of spots. She has children waiting for an opening.

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Thanks, yall, for the suggestions so far. I thought about the seniority thing, and it would work except for one kid that I just cannot teach again this year. I have already talked to him and his (rather pushy) mom about his unteachable spirit, and she insists that he will do better this year.
    In our area, there is just a shortage of pianists and teachers. I have checked around for them, and I can find no one who is taking students. :(

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

You could always give the rather pushy mom a going away gift

View attachment 50

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Hey, isnt that the book you got from wife-ee-poo when she "fired" you from taking lessons? lol. I love that!!!

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

You are in the one in control, just tell them sorry, but I have to cut back.

8. Gib

Gib Active Member

Nay, nay, Sha-nay-nay. I took piano before I ever met her. I was great at memorizing, but a terrible sight reader.

I had to take piano in college. My professor told me I would never be a church pianst. I said, "Yea. What's your point?"

9. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Thanks yall. It worked out. :)