1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Romney Flip-Flop

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

During the Jan 30 debate Romney said:
    “one of the two great regrets I have in life is I didn’t serve in the military. I’d love to have.”
    And last June he told the Boston Globe:
    “I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”

BUT

That is not what he told the Boston Herald May 2, 1994:
    “I was not planning on signing up for the military. It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam,”

I wonder if his views on the military changed about the same time as his views on abortion? Its easy to say "I'd love to have served in the military" when you are 60 years old than when you are 18 and a war going on.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I am not a supporter of Romney, but I really do not think this particular issue is fair to him.

My regrets in life have changed over the years. So I can definitely see that his regerts in 2007/2008 would be different than his regrets in 1994.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The evidence mounts. :tonofbricks:

4. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

I'm not necessarily a Romney supporter either. But, I think maybe we should look at the context of his answer first.
    Both statements he made could be true. Perhaps he was truly not planning to sign up for or wanting to be in the military at the beginning, and so didn't. Maybe further into the conflict, he had a change of heart. Then why didn't he sign up then? I don't know, because I don't know what was going on in his life at that point.
    He could be flip-flopping, but he could also be telling the truth in both cases. I think seeing more of the context of the quotes would be helpful.

5. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

You have good points. Then Romney himself should explain his personal epiphany. So far I have not heard a credible explanation to his flip-flop on the abortion issue. This man is 60 years old. He seemed to have taken an awful long time to nail down where he stands on this issue. I voted for Romney in the Florida Primary. Now I am having regrets. He is starting to look a little slimy to me.

6. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

I hear you there, Ps104. And I am having a hard time supporting anyone other than Duncan Hunter (I voted for him) or Fred Thompson, both being moot points now, of course. I'm leaving it all in God's hands....

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree!:thumbs:

8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

<groan>
    Yep, another chicken hawk.
    Just like the rest of them, when he could have shown us his courage, he didn't.

Regards,
    BiR

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Honestly, this is much ado about nothing. (You can put today on your calendar - this may be the first day I've ever said anything nice about Romney) :)

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, I think you are correct in this case. People do change their views of things over the years, and this particular statement does not merit consideration. Romney has lots of other problems that need to be examined, PS 104 mentioned one.

The Republican Party is in shambles, as far as quality of people. There is really no where to turn within the party. I did not realize so many hated McCain. Maybe we are reaping what we sowed.

As was said in another post, all that is left to do is leave it to God.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Who did you say you were supporting?