1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Another Thing to Add to Odd Comments

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I forgot to add this to see what you guys think as well. Back in April and May I attended the church twice. After the first visit, like I mentioned previously, the pastor came out to the house. I mentioned to him that I wrote my first Christian book and it was set to print in June. He pretty much ignored my mentioning of it.

Well, it had been a couple of months since we've been out there and the book had been published, printed, and set to sell. I AM EXCITED!!!! So I am trying to get my book into the hands of pastors in the area and why not this one? So I went to the church again (because I enjoyed it so) and went back that night. Then attended again the following Sunday. And I brought a copy of my book and a copy of the CD in which I was on a radio program to help promote the book. He really didn't say anything about it, didn't really look at it. Then I attended Wednesday, not mention of reading it. Then I attend Sunday and Sunday night, no mention of it. Then I attend the following Wednesday and Sunday morning. NOTHING.

The book is 117 pages long, the back pretty much sums up the entire book. Even a simple "Hey, thanks for the book, I just haven't had time to read it, but I will get on it as soon as I can" would work for me. You would think he would be curious as to what someone in his congregation believes. Am I wrong?

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder if things like that happen because the Lord wants to keep us humble. Nevertheless, it "sounds like" the pastor is very busy. What book did you write? Is it on Amazon?

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Its on Amazon!!!! Its a good read, trust me, I know the guy who wrote it.

I know, but some times things like this bother me. I don't look for praise for things I have done, I just look for critism. Meaning, I look for honest and open opinions, not bias things. I am sure if it wasn't that great of a book the ministry that published it, wouldn't have.

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

What's the name of it?

5. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not have been as passive as the pastor. I would have told you straight up that I'm not interested in promoting your book.

You can say that you're looking for feedback all you want, but the focus of the quoted paragraph belies the parenthetical statement that you simply went back because you enjoyed the service.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now after reading the Odd Comments thread, I think I understand. "How much money did you make?" You're hoping for a windfall from this book, aren't you?

8. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Oh my!!! Really didn't expect this response. I haven't made a dime from the book, all of my money goes directly to supporting the ministry that published it. Wasn't looking for anything more than feedback. I was going to join the church no matter what, I enjoy every aspect of the church, every. Just experienced some really odd things that last service.

I am not looking to make money at all, not my point to writing at all. I don't think God would be leading me in a direction that the soul purpose is making money.

I am really offended by your comments, thanks.

By promoting, I don't mean what you think I do. I can do all the promoting I need to on my own, but promoting I mean getting it into the hands that need to read it. I have 200 copies at my feet right now that I would GIVE to the church if they would be willing to read them and use them. I haven't made a penny off of any book that I have "sold".

Yes, I am going to church for my own personal gain. That would be the thing I should start off with right? Not the fact that I think, even though I have a pretty firm foundation in Christ, my children don't need to go, not the fact that because of my relationship with Christ being SUPER DOOPER GREAT there is no room for me to grow in Christ and my wife grow as well.

Pretty strong allegations, maybe I misread what you wrote, let me see.....

#8 ShotGunWillie, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  9. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Man, this blows my mind. It flies all over me.

I am actually hoping that my worldview lines up perfectly with Oprah's so I can be promoted on her show and I will be a Best Seller. LOOK AT WHAT I DID, LOOK AT WHAT I DID. Yes, God is mentioned, but its all about ME REALLY.

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or tactful.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shotgun, I'm not saying your heart isn't in the right place, but it does appear from what you've written that your focus is the promotion of your book, and if I'm reading your description and context of the pastor's "odd comment" correctly, I'm not the only one to whom you've given that impression.

#11 Aaron, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True......

13. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

If you think my motives for joining the church and my ultimate goal is to PROMOTE my book, then think that. I know why I decided to attend and join this church and promoting my book didn't have a thing to do with it. I mentioned it during his visit to my home because I told him that I wasn't the kind of guy that shows up on Sunday morning to hear a message and not be an active member of the Body of Christ. I like to be involved, contribute in any way I can, and serve God and His people. I mentioned the book as an, "by the way" passing comment.

If I was all about promoting my book, don't you think within my initial post or in the response to the others I would have posted the title or at least the author name to do a simple search under?

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, your heart may be in the right place, but your actions are sending a different message altogether. You took your book AND a CD recording of a promotional radio spot to the church. [Edited to add: And you bemoaned the fact that there wasn't ONE mention of it from the pulpit.] You don't see how any rational onlooker would perceive that?

Anyway, I don't think the pastor's comment was odd at all, considering the circumstances.

15. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

The CD describes the book, just in case he didn't have time to read it. My mom got a CD too, my grandmother got a book. I am just promoting the dog out of this thing.

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted this or maybe I am glad I did. I apologize if my money hungry self-promoting darkside comes out....

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think there's anything at all wrong with promoting your book, if you think you have a message worth hearing, but you're being kind of clumsy with it. You never should have said a word about it to the pastor of a church you're considering, nor should it come up at all in any conversation with any of the members. Let them discover for themselves.

I think the proper recourse is for you to go to the pastor and admit that you were out of line to promote your book (that's how HE sees it, and all your actions will belie any verbal statement to the contrary), and promise him that it won't come up again.

17. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I don't get you, at all. Clumsy, apologize, forget I brought this up....

18. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After a second read, I still missed this part; please show the post #it was in. Thanks!

As for all the other accusations, a simple "Sorry I misunderstood you" would have been sufficient.

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Some around here excel at insulting others.

20. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Or be insulted.