1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Answering questions from my last thread...

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by azguitarist, Mar 5, 2005.

1. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

I just got back from Phoenix. The purpose of this thread will be to answer all of the questions that were asked of me in my last thread. I will do my best to answer them, however not all at once. Much like Pastor Bob said, this is not something I am constantly doing. C4K would like his question answered as it seems he doesn't believe any one has answered the query. I don't know that to be true, but either way I will answer him according to what I believe is correct.

English paragraph:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello, my name is Pastor Bob. This is a very important question to consider. Is it permissible to translate the Bible from another translation or is it necessary to refer back to the original languages? I believe that problems would arise unless the translations all originate from the same source. Otherwise, it would not take long for translations to imerge that are very much different.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above paragraph translated into Spanish:

quote:
    Hola, mi nombre es Pastor Bob. Esto es una pregunta muy importante a considerar. ¿Es permitido traducir la biblia de otra traducción o es necesario referirse de nuevo a las idiomas originales? Creo que se presentarían los problemas a menos que sean las traducciones originen de la misma fuente. Si no, no duraría para la traducción al imerge que es mucho diferente.

Above Spanish translation re-translated back into English:

quote:
    Hello, my name is Bob Shepherd. This is a question very important to consider. It is allowed to translate the bible of another translation or is necessary to talk about again to the original languages? I believe that the problems would appear unless they are the translations originate of the same source. If no, it would not last for the translation to imerge that it is much different.

My point is this, if I want Christians in other nations to know the Word of God as I know it, then our translations must come from a common source so they all say the same thing.

2. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Although not idiomatic, Pastor Bob's English/Spanish/English translation is correct......

3. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

I'm game...
    Go ahead and offer proof.....If you're correct I'll admit it.
    Just make sure (please) that I understand your premise.

4. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

1,000 Posts Club
    Member # 3892

posted March 03, 2005 03:21 PM
    I will hold to the belief that apart from man's interpretation and awareness of context, then it would be virtually impossible to translate from one language to another to another and so on. I'll stand by my example of literal interpretation.

Your comments earlier in this thread led me to believe that you believe translating is an exact science with no need for interpretation. Perhaps you would explain these words of yours?

5. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

The above posts are "copy and Paste" from different people. The following is my answer....

6. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Member # 9341

posted March 04, 2005 11:16 AM
    I have seen it all... I think. LOL OK first of let me fix one problem at a time, going back to the English to Spanish to English {mis}translation,
    A.Pastor Bob.
    #1.The word "pastor" is perfectly translated into spanish as "pastor" {with a different pro.}. Get your dictionary. It is right. In order to Place the word and all its meaning into Spanish you must study the definitions of both of the words both in English and Spanish. You then come to a perfect UNDERSTANDING PLEASE SEE LUKE 1:3. I will speak about that later.

#2. After you have looked up both words and fully Understand BOTH WORDS and everything they mean, you then can say that the word pastor is Translated pastor {with a different pron.}

#3.Therefore because you fully understand the word pastor in English and the word pastor {see above} in Spanish- you can say they both are 2 different symbols and sounds to express the same thing or idea.

#4. Due to the fact that now has been established, you can now say,"I have perfect UNDERSTANDING OF THESE TWO WORDS.

#5.You must also consider the context. Failing to do that leads to the ludicrous {mis}translation that "pastor Bob" means Bob Shepherd. Also in the English or in Spanish You will see that "pastor" is not capital. To say that "pastor" is a name is a horrendous error simply due the way a name is written in either language. Even if it were a name-the name should have been Shepherd Bob.LOL

#6.That brings me to a simple formula>>>>>>

A=B

A=pastor in english
    B=pastor in spanish{see above}

#7.To say that "pastor Bob" translates "Bob Shepherd" fails to follow any form of logic.
    Posts: 282 | From: Ariz-Mex | Registered: Aug 2004 | IP: Logged |

7. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

That is just the start, yet it proves the point that this post offered as proof of an inability to translate from one language to another-fails.

I will try to answer as many as I can. Thanks

AZGUITARIST. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Just one simple answer guitarist - which KJV is perfectly perfect - you can even answer it my poll thread if you want.

I predict another 20 pages of promising answers.

No, I won't let this go that long - I am imposing the five page limit on this one. If we can't get answers by then it will be closed and any further new threads on the topic will be deleted.

Other posters please limit your comments so that our young brother can have all the space he needs.

You can answer my question with one simple post.
    What is the, letter for letter, word for word, punctuation mark for punctuation mark, perfectly perfect edition of the KJV. It would be nice to have a reason why you make that choice, but I won't even expect that.

Personal opinion here only - I think you like all the attention you are getting and am about to stop supplying it until I get a simple answer to my simple question.

9. apson

apson Guest

C4K

Member # 7160

posted 03-05-2005 04:21 AM
    Just one simple answer guitarist - which KJV is perfectly perfect - you can even answer it my poll thread if you want.

I predict another 20 pages of promising answers.

No, I won't let this go that long - I am imposing the five page limit on this one. If we can't get answers by then it will be closed and any further new threads on the topic will be deleted.

Other posters please limit your comments so that our young brother can have all the space he needs.

You can answer my question with one simple post.
    What is the, letter for letter, word for word, punctuation mark for punctuation mark, perfectly perfect edition of the KJV. It would be nice to have a reason why you make that choice, but I won't even expect that.

Personal opinion here only - I think you like all the attention you are getting and am about to stop supplying it until I get a simple answer to my simple question.
    Posts: 10982 | From: Eire | Registered: Oct 2003 | IP: Logged |

This sounds like C4K is being rude and/or WHAT????!! This is my first post. I don't understand why "any further new threads on the topic will be deleted". This is an interesting subject to me. What does the following mean? "I think you like all the attention you are getting and am about to stop supplying it until I get a simple answer to my simple question." It sounds to me like C4K has something personal against azguitarist. But as I said, this is my first post...

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Maybe you'd better read up a little bit. If you have a problem with a moderating decision common courtesy says that you should contact them by PM.

Sadly, you used up two of guitarist limited number of posts ;) .

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

And you're the MOMMIE, or what of AZFiddler, AZGuitar? Instead of rude, I think you're being deceptive when you claim to be a new member drawn to a post because of rudeness. Again, notice the IP LOGGED.

12. apson

apson Guest

I was not drawn because of rudeness. I apologize if I seemed deceptive. I am interested. I just started another topic on Spanish where you will hopefully will see I did not intend to be deceptive, but just to join in.

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

There is a common source its called the original languages Greek and Hebrew, the languages in which God did insipire His Word.

Question, and answer this one: "Why must that common source be the KJV?" And if you can answer that one how about answering C4K's question about which edition of the KJV.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thank you for apology. You clearly gave the impression that you came in as a impartial new member who perceived an injustice. Thank you for clarifying that your views on azguitarist are rightly biased by familial relationship.

Perhaps you can answer the primary question posed to your son.

Must the KJV be the standard for all translation work? If so, which precise edition would you recommend so that there is PERFECT agreement?

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear apson:

A little bit about your IP address (Internet Protocol address):

When you connect to the internet through your internet service provider (AOL, Prodigy, etc.), or your office LAN connection, you are assigned an IP address. This address identifies your computer from the other computers on the internet. Your IP address can be either static, meaning it never changes, or dynamic, meaning each time you dial-in or login you are assigned a new address for that session.

Even if dynamic your individual identity is available to your service provider.

This is one of the ways law-enforcement finds hackers and posting board moderators detect those who register more than once and post under a different name.

Usually two or more posters with the same IP address (posting from the same computer) is OK if different family members want separate monikers.

HankD

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Moderator note:
    There is indeed no problem with multiple family members posting from the same computer with different accounts. The problem was the initial appearance that this was an impartial new member.
    Apologies are accepted, the issue is dropped, imho, and I am adding a page of grace to this thread due to the little side track ;) .