1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Antinomianism is Alive and Well

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, May 18, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Antinominian = against/opposed to law.

Spiritual antinomianism puts such trust in the work of the Holy Spirit's inward prompting that man does not need any law by which to live. Freedom from law to GAIN salvation is assumed to correspond with freedom for law as a GUIDE for daily living.

I am seeing a return to this philosophy (active in the Reformation era and for 150 years after) in modern church members who do not want any rule or standard to tell them how they ought to live.

Anyone else feeling the resurgence of this belief?

2. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

law or Law my Christian friend? (Biblical guidlines or Moseic (sp) Law)

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really I'd of never guessed it would happen in America, land of the free...

4. new man

new man New Member

I agree 100%. I also believe the doctrine of OSAS breeds antinomians.

Antinomianism Defined

Russ <><

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

new man , thanks for the link. So basically this discussion boils down to a OSAS discussion.

A. Christ + my imperfect good works = salvation
    B. Christ + nothing = salvation followed by my imperfect good works.

I choose B.

6. new man

new man New Member

Choice is one of the tenets of free will. Choices have consequences. With OSAS there are no consequences. But I don't want to sidetrack Dr. Bob's discussion so I'm outta here on this one. Carry on mates!

Russ <><

7. Tim

Tim New Member

This is the crucial question. As a believer in the New Covenant, I deny that I am under the obligations of the Law given to O.T. Israel, but I confess that I am under the Law of Christ.

In many peoples' eyes this constitutes antinomianism.

In Christ,

Tim

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is the crucial question. As a believer in the New Covenant, I deny that I am under the obligations of the Law given to O.T. Israel, but I confess that I am under the Law of Christ.

I agree, but isn't NT obligations more strict in a sense than OT? The Law said not to murder, Jesus said if you hate your brother that is murder. Same with adultry and so on.

The Law of the OT is dead.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So true Dr Bob,

There is a difference between being "without law"
    and not being "under the law".

The Person of the Holy Spirit.

Those who walk in the Spirit will not fulfil the lust of the flesh because, presumably, they (the children of God) have crucified their flesh because they hate the remnant of sin that is in their flesh which has been revealed by the Law.

The true religious antinomianist, the pretenders of Christ, love their sin and put on a mask of religion along with a facade of indignity towards sin all the while gratiating their flesh.
    They neither want to let it go nor are they able to cease from it.

The only delight the children of God have concerning their sin is when they are freed from it. No sooner have I "arrived" when some new iniquity is revealed/uncovered.

Galatians 5
    16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
    17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
    18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
    19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
    25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

HankD

[ May 20, 2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]