1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Antinomianism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Apostles reaffirmed ONLY 9 Commandments to be valid today to the Church, but the real point is that we are not under the adminstartion of the law, but of Grace, so we can and must walk in the Spirit and will be founding doing the moral aspects of the law....

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is Spurgeons take:

We have in spiritual matters things called liberty which are no liberty. There is
    Antinomian liberty—God deliver us from that! A man saith, “I am not under the law
    of God, therefore I will live as I like.” A most blessed truth followed by a most
    atrocious inference.

Oh! to be a child, and to give the obedience of a child and not the homage of a serf!
    But the Antinomian saith, “I am not under the law, therefore will I live and fulfil my
    own lust and pleasures.” Paul says of those who argue thus, their damnation is just.

Brethren, it is a precious doctrine that the saints are safe, but it is a damnable
    inference from it, that therefore they may live as they list. It is a glorious truth that
    God will keep his people, but it is an abominable falsehood that sin will do them no
    harm. Remember that God gives us liberty, not licence, and while he gives us
    protection he will not allow us presumption.

Only fancy what the effect would be upon our country if a proclamation were issued,
    that henceforth all manner of offences against the law would be immediately
    forgiven, and men might still continue to perpetrate them. We should hasten to
    emigrate from such a pandemonium. The wicked might approve of such a relaxation
    of the bonds of law, but it would be an awful curse to the righteous. If the judge of all
    the earth could possibly forgive sin while men continue to indulge in it, I do not see
    how the world could be inhabited; it would become a den of beasts, wild and without
    restraint, raging against all goodness, and even against themselves. The very pillars
    of society would be moved if sin could be at the same time indulged by the sinner and
    pardoned by the Lord.

Does some mere professor sneeringly inquire, “What, are we always to live to God’s
    glory, and are we to do nothing but what would glorify him? This is laying down very
    straight rules, and making the road to heaven very narrow indeed.” Do you think so,
    friend? Then I will tell you plainly my solemn suspicion about you,—I am persuaded
    that you do not know the Lord, for if you did, the way of holiness would be your
    delight, and you would not ask for licence to sin. I can understand your sinning, but
    I cannot understand your finding pleasure in it if you are a real Christian. 1305.415

A man is very far gone in guilt when he reads grace the wrong way upwards, and
    infers, from the longsuffering of the Lord, that he may continue in sin.

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those saved by grace though do NOT see it as excuse to sin on freely, but as an excuse to walk worthy of that graet salvation, as we realise that he died for "such a worm as I"

Many under Lordship/Reformed see those like me advocating loose living, as not under the law, but would say that I am now under the Law of Christ, as the Lord does still want me to walk in obedience, but to do that in the power of the Spirit!

#23 Yeshua1, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again Brother, you have not listened to Sinclair Fergusons sermon so how can you draw those conclusions? Rather the Moral Laws of God (The Standard in our the Christians Life, or should be) is the rule of life for the believer. However the moral law is being abrogated .... IE, your stating the moral law is no longer binding, that Jesus has done away with the need for a moral law.

Again Y, if you really want to tear into this topic, I suggest you spend an hour & listen to Sinclair's sermon....that way your not drawing any false conclusions.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am NOT saying that we are not obligated to keep the Moral aspect of the law, as the NT brought them over to us today, but that we do NOT keep them as under the old Covenant, but as in the empowering of the Holy Spirit, as he will produce in and thru us what could NOT get done by the law under the old, as were but but sinful flesh that time!

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying the connection between the Father, Son & HS is in disunity?

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

I've been off line for a couple of days due to DSL problems. So, I'm in catchup mode.

This is an observation, in general.

Sometimes I wish (as a layman), we could be back in the days of bush arbors. Sitting on rough benches. Listening to a GOD CALLED circuit riding preacher, bringing us the gospel from his well worn and tattered Bible. Rejoicing and praising God, when a new brother or sister walks to a nearby water source.

I know that's an idealistic vision.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you say then that Christ was an idealist?

9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

EWF, why do you think we cannot have an opinion on this without listening to this one recording? I know that you know that this issue is bigger than him and it is addressed in Scripture and by other people in other places.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I am just starting to listen to the sermon...however, as I begin, I realize EWF has pulled a fast one on us all:

Sinclair Ferguson has a Scottish accent...and therefore sounds very theological and authoritative to our American ears...so it really is not fair...since we are hard-wired to listen to and give weight to anything we hear in a Scottish accent. :laugh:

11. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

LOL Maybe. I know I enjoy listening to Alistair Begg. However, I also like reading his works. I may or may not read it with an accent.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have NEVER been in disuninity, only faced seperation between father and Son on the Cross!

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well thats not how it's being presented.

The Father presents His law which is to be a rule of life to the believer. It is in fact a moral law with 10 definitive points to it.

Then you conclude that Jesus Christ abrogates a portion of it,(perhaps even undermines the will of the Father) & you then make the claim that it's no longer God the Fathers law but rather Jesus Christs & He (Christ) has done away with the 4th of God the Fathers Commandments ....to remember the Sabbath Day & keep it Holy!. Then you say because of the Grace of the Holy Spirit that Christians can take it of leave it.... in fact God's Moral Law is non binding.

I'm seeing a pattern here....namely a justification & methodology to destroy the unity & harmony of the Trinity. You are in fact suggesting that the members of the Trinity don't quite know what they are doing. And I don't buy that line of reasoning.

#33 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

That is not what is happening at all.

When Christ was on this earth He said to do the will of the Father was meat for Him. He also said He only does the things the Father does and says the things that the Father says. He also says that He and the Father are One.

What He then accomplished on the cross as not at odds with God and His Will but a fulfillment of God's plan according to His Will. This was by will and by design done before the foundation of the world.

Looking at the sacrifice of Christ as final and perfect we see that He fulfilled all of the ceremonial portions of the Law and His righteousness fulfilled the moral. His righteousness being washed over and applied to us enables us walk in obedience to God. The Spirit being in us enables this obedience.

When we consider Col 2 and Rom 14 we see that the Sabbath is no longer a requirement of us. This is because Christ is our sabbath rest. This is, however, a shadow of the real rest to come to us in eternity.

The remaining 9 commandments are re-commanded in one form or another to the NT Church. It is, again, the Spirit that enables us to walk in obedience. Now, we have to choose moment by moment if we are going to walk in the flesh or in the Spirit. We obey not because it is Law, but because of love.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not see it that way & in the future this false conclusion of yours will have far reaching inferences that will take us in very different directions. This is nothing but an excuse for licentiousness. Perhaps it's hermeneutics......tell me honestly, "do you read your bible from back to front or front to back?"

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that would be where for the first time reformed of the NCT and the Dispys would agree !

17. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I think you may be unfairly representing a certain position, and as Mr. Ferguson said in the sermon you linked to said: "It would be an unhappy thing if we condemned men in Christ for positions which they did not espouse."

While it is undeniable that the 10 commandments form the backbone of the Moral law in the OT...It is difficult to make a case that they ARE the moral law, because God gave other laws, which do not seem to make it into the discussion.

Another difficulty is that there is no Sabbath command given in the NT, as already pointed out...but neither is there a definite Shift establishing Sunday as the new Sabbath...were we to actually obey the Sabbath, we would be forced to observe it on Saturday. It is inconsistent to insist on Sabbath observance, but make it apply to Sunday...unless perhaps it doesn't matter what day it is...as long as we take one sabbath day per week?

#37 12strings, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, God forbid that one saved by the Grace of God turns that to freedom to willingly sin on!

rather, you and I both agree that the law expresses the absolute moral standards of God, and that He has demands for us to obey them, we are just saying that when jesus fulfilled the law for our sakes, we have before God kept them perfectly, as we are now found to be in Christ, so can be freely justified, and now start to be sanctified, and THAT processis in the power of the Holy spirit!
    Since the Spirit is the One who lives and moves in us, why would we desire to willfully and continually sin against Him?

19. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

You make serious accusations against me with no evidence. As God wrote through Paul grace is not a license to sin.

I don't know whats gotten into your craw but you have become as insulting and intellectually dishonest as some others here. You remind me of one person in particular.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you are not willingly sining against God by keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. however if you disagree, then you will ignore that particular commandment.