1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Antinomianism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 16, 2012.

1. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

You must ignore many other verses in order to support the legalism inherent in forcing the obedience of the one verse.

We ought not draw lines where God Himself has not drawn them.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not view it as legalism....i view it as obedience. Besides, you have already ignored a commandment.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

EWF, does Ferguson even mention the New Covenant faction of Reformed Baptists in his sermon on antinomianism?

Are all non-Sabbatarians 'Antinomians'?

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you listened to his sermon, then you would know the answer to your own question....right!

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Perhaps I should post this again: "It would be an unhappy thing if we condemned men in Christ for positions which they did not espouse."

For example: Licentiousness, failure to read scripture.

One more issue that is interesting among reformed baptist churches (not saying this applies to EWF)...They will often espouse a regulative principle of worship, that when taken to the extreme sometimes leads to no instruments in church...based on the fact that there are no Instruments in the New Testament...but when someone uses the same argument against sabbath observance...they point to the continuity with the OT.

6. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I read, preach, and teach the whole counsel of God's Word. I do not ignore a command. You, however, should repent of bearing false witness.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will just summarize by stating that instead of disputing God's law and seeing it as an infringement, the true Christian should say, " For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome" --1st John 5:3

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please.....before you start with removing the speck from my eye..... Or shall I call you to task?

9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

The issue is what constitutes a command of God that demands obedience. Sabbatarianism has built a doctrine on poor scholarship. It ignores Romans 14. It ignores Colossians 2 and Galatians. It ignores Hebrews.

Heb 8:4 Now if He were on earth, He would not be a priest at all, since there are those who offer the gifts according to the Law;
    Heb 8:5 who serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things, just as Moses was warned by God when he was about to erect the tabernacle; for, "SEE," He says, "THAT YOU MAKE all things ACCORDING TO THE PATTERN WHICH WAS SHOWN YOU ON THE MOUNTAIN."
    Heb 8:6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
    Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.
    Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, He says, "BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;
    Heb 8:9 NOT LIKE THE COVENANT WHICH I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS ON THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT; FOR THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT, AND I DID NOT CARE FOR THEM, SAYS THE LORD.
    Heb 8:10 "FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS. AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
    Heb 8:11 "AND THEY SHALL NOT TEACH EVERYONE HIS FELLOW CITIZEN, AND EVERYONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, 'KNOW THE LORD,' FOR ALL WILL KNOW ME, FROM THE LEAST TO THE GREATEST OF THEM.
    Heb 8:12 "FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR INIQUITIES, AND I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE."
    Heb 8:13 When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear. (NASB)

10. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Have I wronged you? I apologize.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please indicate where you got that definition from.

From my prospective...it is a disregard for the Law of God (the rules of life for the believer set down by the Lord God Almighty).

And as far as I understand it, I am not Reformed. Perhaps you would like to define that as well.

12. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I thought a week or so ago you described yourself as being reformed baptist?

Also, he wasn't defining the word for you. He was pointing out a statement by the pastor you keep telling us to listen to and how you did the opposite of what he was calling his listeners to do.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Define "Sabbatarianism"

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Generally it is a belief in the OT Sabbath as being applicable today. 7th Day Adventists are a prime example.

If you are so hot and bothered on this one command, that is not commanded of the NT Church, then that is the cult for you.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rather I stated categorically that I was a Radical Christian & I did not hold to Dispy or Covenant theologies. I did site that I held to Doctrines of Grace (but I am not a Calvinist) & that I am a Credo Baptistic believer....but never a Reformed Baptist. Would you like me to find & repost that commentary?

You probably are confusing me with MorseOp who is a serious Reformed Baptist. Not me & that is why I wish to get to the bottom of this.....because I want to get to the root of it all. Either someone is in serious error of abrogating Gods Law or Gods Law in the form of the Moral Laws should be eliminated as no longer relevant.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God never told us to live our lives as Jew's do....the Laws of God do not & never have been applied to gentiles/ Christians that way....and that may be the rub. We were never to be curcumsized, never needed to exercise the laws of Kashrut (Kosher), etc. But we have moral laws that are still binding.....Remember The Sabbath Day & Keep It Holy.

17. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Definition: Not sure what you are refering to: I was quoting Sinclair Ferguson.

Disregarding the law of God...There remains the question of how we determine WHICH OT laws are applicable to us, and which are not...simply saying moral vs. civil does not make it immediately clear which is which, or even prove that the bible itself divides them into categories.

I apologize, I thought you considered yourself a reformed baptist. I was mistaken.

18. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

There is a third option. Though the Law is not commanded and applicable as it was in the OT in this post-Cross age it is still very much relevant.

An example:
    Deu 22:8 "When you build a new house, you shall make a parapet for your roof, so that you will not bring bloodguilt on your house if anyone falls from it. (NASB)

This was written in a place where roofs were flat and used as an extended living space. That application is not relevant to us. So what do we do with it?

The NT application, keeping in mind the second great commandment to love our neighbors, would be to ensure that our homes are a safe place. This may mean keeping sidewalks clear from ice in winter. When I was helping to build a new house for friend after a fire we used barricades to keep people out and marked the holes clearly.

Back to the Sabbath. If we believe that Christ Himself is our rest and we are indwelled by the Spirit then we do not need to go to a specified place at a specified time for worship (including sacrifices). The sabbath is being kept, but in a different way based on our current historical and cultural context....mainly being post-Cross.

Col 2:13 When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions,
    Col 2:14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
    Col 2:15 When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.
    Col 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--
    Col 2:17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.
    Col 2:18 Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind,
    Col 2:19 and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.
    Col 2:20 If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as,
    Col 2:21 "Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!"
    Col 2:22 (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)--in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?
    Col 2:23 These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence. (NASB)

Rom 14:1 Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions.
    Rom 14:2 One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.
    Rom 14:3 The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.
    Rom 14:4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
    Rom 14:5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
    Rom 14:6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
    Rom 14:7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;
    Rom 14:8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.
    Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
    Rom 14:10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.
    Rom 14:11 For it is written, "AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME, AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD."
    Rom 14:12 So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.
    Rom 14:13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this--not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way.
    Rom 14:14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
    Rom 14:15 For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died.
    Rom 14:16 Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil;
    Rom 14:17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
    Rom 14:18 For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.
    Rom 14:19 So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.
    Rom 14:20 Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense.
    Rom 14:21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles.
    Rom 14:22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.
    Rom 14:23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin. (NASB)

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    belief that saturday sabbath is still binding and obligated to be kept by NT Christians!

Some go to the extreme of saying worshipping on a Sunday is taking the mark of the beast!

20. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I have not had much contact withe MorseOp. The reason I thought you were Reformed Baptist is because of our private discussion about church planting efforts.