1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any comment for Hyles-Anderson College?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by dpogs, Dec 31, 2004.

1. dpogs

dpogs New Member

Do you have any comments (bad or good) for Hyles-Anderson College?

I jsut want to know. BEcause I am planing to enter that collge.

TY

2. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

I don't have anything good or bad to say about it. Just wanted to warn you, it could get ugly, in some forums just mention the name Hyles, and you will get blasted out of there.

God Bless
    Cline

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

dpogs,

I do not know too much personally about the college. However, I grew up about 10 mins from the college and served in churches around that area. And in many circles the college does not have a good reputation. Now on the other hand I worked in a factory with several guys that attended the college, and they were sincere and loved the Lord. So probably about like any other place or situation. Some good. Some bad. And alot in between. It will be up to you to make the most of it and get the most out your experience there.

4. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

dpogs, Praise God for another person wanting to enter a God-honoring college. Yes, there are many differing views concerning Hyles-Anderson. A lot of people will say one of the problems is the forceful and confrontational soul-winning. You will also probably hear that a lot of Hyles people are only concerned with numbers.

I have met several people that graduated from Hyles and they said there is quite a mix of people in the school. However, all the ones I know are very humble servants of God and they definitely benefited from attending there. They learned much and I have a new found respect for the school after listening to my friends' stories and experiences while attending there.

Whatever you do, make your choice prayerfully!!

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HAC would not be MY first choice, but I praise God for a young person wanting to train to serve God.

My advice to ALL is to check out every practice, method, message, etc with the Word of God. Many schools and churches have their OWN thinking, far afield from the Word of God.

Also, know the rules of a school BEFORE enrolling. Ask for a copy of the handbook. If they WON'T send you one, RUN. You don't want to give your word of honor to obey rules that you later find unbearable.

6. patrioticcamerican

dpogs,

It's great that you are planning to go to a Christian college. Thanks for being willing to hear others' opinions on your choice. Every school will get some criticism. I went to a small Bible college and some thought it was too small. Now I go to Pensacola Christian and some complain that it's too strict. However, I would agree with the person who told you to check everything they teach you by the Word of God. That's what we should do anyway. I have not personally been inside Hyles-Anderson, but I have driven by it, which basically means I have not been there. I used to have more admiration for it than I have now. Since then I have heard numerous accounts from credible sources of their soulwinning methods, and even some of the things Hyles recommends in his own books. Let me say that there are definitely good graduates from HA. However, I think a lot of them do get caught up in numbers. Not everyone, of course. But my credible sources' accounts include such things as drawing names of converts to win prizes (large prizes, not just a piece of candy). This is generally involved with their bus ministry. These are also the type of churches which employ such things as "goldfish swallowing" and other such techniques in order to make things "fun" for the kids. The kids might enjoy it, but I sure wouldn't want to be the fish swallower...yuck [​IMG] Also, if you are going into the ministry, some churches/pastors, right or wrongly so, may label you when they find out that you are a HA grad. I'm not saying that they should, but some will. Finally, I must question Hyles' claims of Hylescost, in which more people were saved/baptized than on the Day of Pentecost. Check out www.wayoflife.org for some info on this matter. (I do not agree with everything on the Way of Life site either, by the way...I think the owner does a lot of good work but takes some things a little far, in my opinion, for whatever that's worth.) Anyway, I hope this doesn't sound too negative. I don't mean it to be critical. I just get concerned about some of this stuff, and thought I would mention it. [​IMG] Feel free to disagree with me, just measure everything from the Bible. That's what's important. [​IMG]

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Pretty soon you will start hearing from people who've attended Hyles Anderson with different views pro and con.
    While your are still waiting why don't you look around at many schools and compare.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Con comment, that should be sufficient

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I agree with Bob, HA would not be my first choice. Actually, it wouldn't be my any choice.

Get a handbook of the rules. If they won't send you one, don't go.

Having been bruised and beaten by the independent baptist types (including BJU), I would find a more mainstream evangelical school. I share this informatiion because you ought to know what my experience/bias is.

10. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very diplomatic, Dr. Bob. [​IMG]

11. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Avoid Hyles-Anderson College! Period!!

What about Heritage Baptist University in Greenwood, Indiana?

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Askjo, I will start a thread on that so this can continue on the HAC theme.

13. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

we had a really good one back in the day. Why don't you just pull that one back out?

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    patriot: "But my credible sources' accounts include such things as drawing names of converts to win prizes (large prizes, not just a piece of candy)."

I recall my shock the first time I heard about enticing kids to ride Hyles' buses by telling them that there would be a $5 bill hidden under the "lucky seat"....

Which leads me into The Ziggy Method for Church Growth and Increased Contributions: give every attendee a numbered ticket, and after the offering have a drawing, and the lucky winner gets $100, plus 1% of the offering. Obviously, the more given, the larger the pot....Attendance will soar, offerings will increase, and a lot of gamblers will have a chance to hear the gospel. :D [​IMG]

15. dpogs

dpogs New Member

Why? what does the name Hyles imply? What wrong Hyles have done? I respect Jack Hyles very much.

16. dpogs

dpogs New Member

What has HAC for me to avoid it? Who is the pastor of Greenwood, Indiana? DOes it have a host church?

17. dpogs

dpogs New Member

What has HAC for me to avoid it? Who is the pastor of Greenwood, Indiana? DOes it have a host church?

18. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

[​IMG] dpogs....as to Jack Hyles(who was and even posthumously still is the driving force behind the college)you may want to read the following article from The Biblical Evangelist...a respected fundamentalist publication.It is indeed sad.

http://www.biblicalevangelist.org/jack_hyles_chapter3.php

It broke my heart as I always had respect for him in the past.Pride goeth before a fall.

Greg Sr. [​IMG]

19. Broadus

Broadus Member

As one who graduated from HAC, I can only speak of what is was like over twenty years ago. The theology was shallow, and serving Christ was more a matter of following rules than the disposition of one's heart. I doubt that much has changed. I would not send my children there.

Bill

20. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure how "respected" this publication is. I have the actual edition in my file here at the church. I also have the writing in which Dr. Hyles answers each of the accusations brought forth in the Biblical Evangelist.