1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any crafters out there who sell?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by graceb2u, Nov 20, 2004.

1. graceb2u

graceb2u New Member

My question is this. If you sell crafts what is the proper amount to charge? I am thinking of starting to sell my crafts. But I read that to many crafters undersell their crafts. Any information would be helpful.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We (wife, not me) did lots of crafty things. One that was hugely successful was making western bonnets for babies, girls, and adults. Sell to western wear stores and in museums.

What we did was work out with the professionals in the stores what the fair retail value would be. Then figured what we would charge at 66.67% of that with added 10% or 15% reduced for volume purchase.

So (20 years ago) a handmade, one-of-a-kind bonnet sold for $10 in the store. We sold them in lots of 48 for $5 or if they only wanted a few, for $6.50

I bought pellon and fabric, etc (I love gingham) and delivered on my pastoral rounds. Wife had little ones at home and could make 3 bonnets in an hour.

We took MAJOR vacations annually from the profits. Like DisneyWorld, Mexico, etc, and I was a pastor of a small farm church in rural Wisconsin!

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I've been very guilty of selling my crafts for only what it cost me to make them. Of course, I did enjoy making them...

Be sure to figure out the time it took and EVERY cost so you don't lose money.

Dr. Bob. I made those Laura Ingles type bonnets for our daughter but never thought to sell them. I made purses to match, all in Calico or gingham. Around Easter, I used dotted swiss.

Diane

4. Pine_Island_Mrs

Pine_Island_Mrs New Member

I paint animals and flowers on rocks (most from Lin Welford's books). I'm not an "artist" by any means but people tell me I should sell them so I'm decided to try. Online I've found several people who are very talented and they sell them based on weight, like 4-9 lbs for $65 up to 20-25 lbs for $95. I can see charging more for the larger rocks because they are very difficult to handle and also take more paint and time but $65 for a 4 lb rock?? I guess because it's a one of a kind and original work. I'll prob charge much less but I will still consider the one-of-a-kind thing as well as original art. If someone likes it or it looks like their favorite pet, well, it just might be worth $65 to them. right? That's my goal, to specialize in pets from photo's also whatever money I get from the sell of them, I'll give to my church. Not sure yet if I'll give 100% or 50%, keeping out the cost of supplies, etc. I live on Pine Island in South West Florida and in a "artsy" community so outrageous prices are sorta the standard here. If someone will tell me how to upload a pic, maybe I could show you one.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Mrs. P.I., you'll need to go to Village Photos and upload a picture there or another photo hosting site. Village Photo is free. When done, you can then link it here. Use the image command in the full reply form.

www.villagephotos.com

6. Pine_Island_Mrs

Thanks, Diane, I'll give it a try.

7. Pine_Island_Mrs

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

THAT'S A ROCK???? Nick is on the sofa saying... 'It looks like a real PUPPY!' It DOES!

Is that a four pound rock?

9. Pine_Island_Mrs

Thanks for the compliment. I need all the encouragement I can get. It's about 6-7 lbs and about 5x7 inches.

10. graceb2u

graceb2u New Member

Very nice Pine_Island_Mrs. I think you could easily get $65 for this.

11. Pine_Island_Mrs

Thanks Graceb2u. I'm truly amazed at some of the rocks I paint because I'm really not an artist. I can paint/draw anything on paper. God just helps me see the form better in rocks, I guess, sorta like a sculpturer. Thanks, Brenda