1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any FORMER Wiccans On Here ??

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gregory Perry Sr., Sep 25, 2010.

1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Brothers and Sisters....I am wanting to engage in discussions here with ANYONE who has been saved out of a former involvement with the Wiccan religion,which by every definition I have heard (except some of their own) is the practice of a form of witchcraft.
    My interest is this is for the following reason. My oldest son is in the National Guard and while taking his Advanced training met and ultimately married a woman who was involved in that same training who is regular Army. They got married in her hometown of Phoenix AZ after the training not quite a year ago (no,my wife and I were unable to attend and to date have never actually met my daughter in law in person) and were subsequently posted at Ft.Polk in Louisiana. They most recently (2 weeks ago) gave birth to my latest granddaughter (yay!). As I said,we have never had opportunity to meet Kate and as yet don't actually know much about her but she shared in an email to my wife this past week that she is a practicing Wiccan. My son is a professing Christian (though I have my own personal doubts and fears in that regard). Needless to say,upon learning this you could have knocked my wife and I both over with a feather. I have no idea quite what to say to either of them at the moment and while I know they need to hear the truth I don't want to let my own passion for it make me over-aggressive (which is a problem for me). For now I have resolved to pray and seek the Lord about this but I know almost nothing of Wicca and what their real beliefs are nor how to approach them. We would welcome the prayers and comments of anyone out here who has ever had any past involvement with this. Please remember my new granddaughter and my son and his wife in prayer. In addition,they are both in the Army serving our country (my youngest son is in the Marine Corp) and we'd covet your prayers for them as they sometimes may find themselves in harms way. All Biblically based advise and encouragement is welcome. pray that they can be recovered out of this definite "snare of the devil".

Bro.Greg Perry Sr.
    (and my wife Vicki):jesus:

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have not been involved in that myself but I do know people online who have. But I didn't want to read and not post so I want you to know that I'm praying and I think that will be your biggest weapon against Satan in this matter. One woman I know online was involved in all of that and I prayed for her despite never meeting her. Well, her husband was saved and a few months later, she was saved as well!! She contacted me later and asked me if I was praying for her and I told her I was. She knew in her spirit that there were people praying for her salvation and was just in awe that people that didn't even know her were praying for her. So I will be praying for your DIL as well.

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Thanks for the prayers

Ann,
    Thanks for your response and especially your prayers. I know you don't know me or our family but as brothers and sisters in Christ we are both members of "THE" family that really counts. Please feel free to share these prayer requests with anyone you are confident would really act on them. We'll have to wait and see what,if any, responses this thread draws.

In Christ,
    Greg Perry Sr.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I have had several runs with persons who were Wiccans and/or professed Christ after having been involved with neo-paganism in some form or fashion. For the most part, Wiccans are decent, earth-loving people, but they do not hold to any of the Christian concepts, such as a sovereign God, Christ who atoned for the sin of humankind, salvation, or an eternal home in God's presence. I've also found that even after professing Christ that many Wiccans remain anchored in their earlier beliefs, holding a syncretistic form of Christianity in many cases.

Here is a great apologetic Christian site that deals with the subject in an informed way:
    http://carm.org/wicca

5. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have not heard from Marcia in a long time, she seemed very knowledgeable about such matters, by her own experience.
    I hope she is well does anyone know?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's right!! Marcia would be perfect!! I wonder where she is??

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Greg it is going to take a lot of prayer and patients to witness to this woman. By the way to your son also. There are some do's and don'ts. Here are some links that might help.
    http://www.christianinformation.org/article.asp?artID=98
    http://www.dare2share.org/top10/how-do-i-reach-a-witch-or-wiccan-for-christ/
    Let her know that you are interested in what she believes and why. Then ask her if you can tell her what you believe and why in the area of sin and salvation. Also I would say to be sure that you stick to your practices in the Christian faith. If she comes by still pray in the name of Jesus at meals or when ever. If you have family devotions still have them. She can be invited but let her know she does not have to be present at all if she so decides.
    Most of all do not try to push the Christian way on her. That will push her away. Do not cover up or change your practices to keep from hurting her feelings, but do not go out of your way to practice things that you usually do not practice as putting on a face. Let her see your life and peace more then pounding the gospel into her. Also since wiccans like to tell about their beliefs, and that is fine, just do not allow her to convince you to join in any of her rituals or practices no matter how insignificant they might seem. You can politely decline in such with by saying that such and such would violate your faith. Stick to God and His word. Remember it is she who has to come to Christ, not Christ to her. It is not your place to save her or even get her saved. That is the work of the Spirit. You are to simply plant or water. The Lord will raise her and your son up. I will lift this to the Lord, God bless

#7 freeatlast, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
  8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Here I am! Ann, thanks for PMing me about this thread. I have not been coming to the BB for several reasons, one of them being that I was taking my last seminary course, which I just finished. I just wrote out a long response and even though I had logged in, it acted like I hadn't and didn't post the response. Fortunately, I had saved it in Word! I'll try again.

I was not Wiccan but I was a professional astrologer with many Wiccan clients and friends. I also deal with Wicca in my ministry, and have at times had Wiccans in the audience when I've spoken related to my ministry. I've had dialogues with them individually.

Greg, I think that Freeatlast gave great advice. It's what I would suggest as well - ask her what her beliefs are. Wiccans do not all have the exact same beliefs. They tend to believe the earth is sacred - sometimes they believe the earth is the Goddess. Some believe in many gods (polytheism), some in the Goddess and her consort (duotheism), some mainly are just into the Goddess. Even there, the views differ. Some may believe the Goddess is sort of a force that resides in nature and in everyone. Other Wiccans can be almost atheists who see the Goddess or the gods as symbolic. Others see the gods and/or Goddess as personal or as both personal and impersonal.

Many Wiccans have Christian backgrounds - some nominal, some in liberal mainline churches, and some have backgrounds in very conservative but often legalistic churches, which is often what has turned them off from what they think is Christianity (i.e., following rules and and if you mess up, even in a minor way, you might go to hell).

I often suggest these questions after you ask about the Wiccan's beliefs:
    1. What is your spiritual background? If they say Christian, ask why they have rejected that. This gives a lot of insight as to what they think Christianity is and/or what caused them to reject it.
    2. Ask if they believe there was someone named Jesus. Most of them will say yes. Then ask why do they think he came to earth. They may say he came to show love. You can say, "Well, Jesus said he came for sinners" (Mark 2:17, but don't give the citation unless she asks where it is) and just leave it at that, waiting for a response.
    3. Ask if she believes in "Do no harm, do what you will." This is pretty much accepted by all Wiccans so she will probably say yes. Then ask if she believes in absolute good and evil - the chances are 99+% that she will say no. So ask her how she defines "harm." She will give subjective ways to define and if you are patient, you can point out that if there is no absolute standard for good and evil, there is no way to define harm except subjectively, which means there is not much point to this motto.
    4. Ask if she believes the gods and/or Goddess (depending on what she says she believes) have a dark side. Usually, they will say yes. Then ask how does she know she is not accessing the dark side of the gods or Goddess when she evokes or calls on them.

I have used all these questions with Wiccans so I'm not recommending things I have not done myself. The goal is to make them think and see the implications of their beliefs. It is a sort of pre-evangelism since they are very resistant to the gospel (unless the Lord has been working on them and then they will be receptive). It is also a way to plant seeds, dialogue, and give the truth about Christ without sounding preachy. I would not ask all of these at once and don't interrogate her like it's the 3rd degree, but I'm sure you would be sensitive to that.

In one case, a Wiccan had been invited to a church where I was giving my testimony and she came. Then we had lunch (along with the couple who invited her - the husband had been a co-worker with her). I asked her why Jesus came. She said to show love. I said he himself said he came for sinners. She said, "No, he didn't say that." I told her I could show her and I did. It was good for her to read the words herself. I lost contact with everyone after that lunch, so I don't know what happened, but I think the Lord may have planted some seeds.

Before any contact, pray, pray, pray!! And keep praying. I have seen Wiccans come to the Lord but there was always a lot of prayer going on.

I have an article of Wicca on my website here:
    http://christiananswersforthenewage.org/Articles_Wicca.html

Greg, if you are able to start dialoguing with her and have questions, you can PM me. I'll get an email notification and respond. I'll be gone a large part of October, but usually I respond pretty soon.

9. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good to hear from you again Marcia.

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Thanks Marcia

Sister...thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail. I think this thing is going to be a "long haul". My wife responded to my daughter-in-law's original email by replying with what I believe was a kind but specific reply that bore witness to what we believe and how we hoped that she would be open-minded and willing to consider discussion on the matter.I don't personally think she was too forceful in what she said but she was specific. In any case we have not heard back from either her or my son since then. I will be looking over the information on your website and I appreciate your willingness to be of help if possible. Please keep us and especially them in in your prayers.

Bro.Greg Perry Sr.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks, John. I probably won't be here on a regular basis - probably only if something like this question comes up and someone sends me a PM about it.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hello, Brother Greg! Yes, I think you are right that it will be a "long haul." This kind of thing usually is but there is also the good possibility of seeing God work in this situation. I have known many situations where consistent prayer for such a person (and witnessing if possible) has eventually led to seeing the person come to Christ. It might be encouraging to you if you read my testimony, where prayer was key:
    http://christiananswersforthenewage.org/AboutCANA_SpiritualJourney.html

I suggest that you or your wife send another note in a few weeks that does not mention anything religious or spiritual - just a brief , warm note saying hello and that you are thinking of them and would like to keep up with what is going on in their lives, and would very much like to meet Kate and your newest grandchild. But I would keep it very light and very brief. This way, they know you are there and that you care. That is very important.

Is there any chance that they would come to your place or a nearby relative for Christmas or some other special occasion, or that you could visit them? Do you normally see your son from time to time? I would put aside the religious questions for now (what I recommended is something to engage in if the opportunity arises but I think it would be best to get to know your DIL a bit better) and just get to know Kate and enjoy the grandchild, meanwhile praying for her (them).

I think it might be better to do spiritual discussions in a context of relationship, even a somewhat thin one.

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor, you are fortunate to have Marcia and her wisdom in this area.

I am sending you a private message with the e-mail address of a member from another board. She gave me permission to give it to you.

Her name is Mary. She is a former witch and lesbian who lives in England. She was gloriously saved years ago and is one of the most dynamic Christians I know. Her Bible knowledge is very good and her heart lies in helping women who are just like she used to be.

Of her own testimony, she was deeply rebellious against God and did not see any need to change, so she understands the strongholds on these people's lives.

I told her to type out a response to you that I could cut and paste here and she is going to do that, but she also wanted for you and your wife to have her e-mail address in case you had specific questions.

I'll pray for your son and his family.

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is Mary's response - her testimony.

15. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Scarlett, thanks for sharing that woman's testimony with us. Wow the power of prayer!

Gregory Perry Sr., I am going to add your son and his family to my prayer list.