1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any here "concerned' About the theology of Dave Ramesey?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Dec 16, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

No he doesn't

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

And my point is that sometimes getting out of debt at the cost of not seeing your children for a year or two of their lives may not be the best way for a man to minister to his family.

3. mandym

mandym New Member

I understand but if one has gotten into that kind of debt that such is necessary then it is necessary. You have to pay your bills.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JF, several here have said opposite of what you continue to say. If after 2 or three others contradict what you believe, then you must re-evaluate your position. If, upon re-evaluation, you still believe you're correct, then you must post the exact points and proofs that support that belief. If you don't do the re-evaluation, if you don't post the points and proofs, then you're simply being stubborn and obstinate.

Ramsey's first goal is to get out of debt. Then, if you read his material, you'll have more to give. It's not about being wealthy; it's about not being a slave to debt.

Do I agree with him in all things? No. But then again, I believe he's more non-denominational than baptist, so we're going to have some disagreements on theology.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it a better ministry to his family to remain in the debt?

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

again, was not saying that he is not saved, teaching heresay etc, was just wondering if any here also share my concerns on what is seen to be an overemphasis on making decisions based upon the money, how much one would make, and that all debt is not the same as being sinning!

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

At one time most of society lived on farms. My parents had a dairy farm and a typical day was from 3:30 AM to 8:30 PM. My sister and her husband have worked with youth for years and also own a business. I own a business and make disciples. While others complain about how little time they have.

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

You do have to pay your bills, But if a man looks at his situation and sees the following two options:
    1. Work 2 jobs, pay his bills, live modestly, and pay down his debt in 5 years.
    2. Work 3 jobs, pay down his debt in 1.5-2 years, and only see his family as he is passing through for 5-10 minutes at a time.

...I'm saying that option 1 is not the obvious best choice. Each person needs to make that decision, but I don't think they should be pressured to pay down debt as fast as possible at all cost.

Perhaps, if there is a plan to get out of debt that might take longer, but allow him to remain connected to his children and have at least some time to bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Statistically speaking, if he's only seeing his family 5-10 minutes at a time working 3 jobs, then reducing it to two jobs should only actually give him between 10-30 minutes.

For the sake of argument, let's say 10 minutes for the 3 jobs; 30 minutes for the 2 jobs. At 365 days a year, we'll whimsically say 10 minutes a day, which translates to 3,650 minutes per year, or about 120 hours for 2 years. At 30 minutes, that translates to about 910 hours for 5 years.

Now, after 2 years, the individual can drop to only 1 job; going with our purely guesstimated numbers, that's 3 times as much time as when they were working 3 jobs; twice as much as when working 2 jobs. For the sake of argument, let's say that increases their time to 1.5 hours of contact with their families. During the 3 years that they'd still be working 2 jobs, they get 1,642 hours.

Grand total of the 2 years of 3 jobs + 3 years of 1 job: 1,762 hours
    Grand total of the 5 years of 2 jobs: 910 hours.

Which would you prefer? To say that working 2 jobs for 5 years is better than working 3 jobs for 2 years, overlooks the additional time you could be gaining by making the sacrifice now.

Not saying that it's right for everyone; each situation must be dictated by the individual, the individual's situation, and individual priorities.

10. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

think 12 Strings and I are just saying that God would have things that have a higher priority in our lives than debt reduction...

its important to be a good stewerd of the resources God has blessed us with, but its not the top priority!

Think sometimes Dave portreys it as being the number one priority in a believers life!

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

One of Ramsey's quips is apropos here...

"Live like no one else so that you can live like no one else..."

12. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I have nothing against him other then I have heard him use sewer language a few times, which I consider to be completly inapropiate for a child of God.

As far as his money advice it all sounds good to me, outside of the fact that I THINK he advocates tithing, which I believe has no part of new covenent giving.

If I am wrong about him advocating tithing someone please correct me.

13. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

He does advocate tithing. When asked on his show, he states believers are absolutely called to tithe to their local church.

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

LOL..what?!? Sewer language? LOL

Did he say "crap" or "poop" or something? LOL.

15. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not everyone cares about spelling as a point of how authoritative a post may or may not be.

My wife would disagree with me. She considers spelling a mark of good breeding.

The only blue jeans I have are the ones I wear - they are certainly holy but not royal blue. :laugh: