1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ANY here gone 'totally digital" And use JUST Software, No printed Bibles?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JesusFan, Sep 19, 2011.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Maybe we can find a page turning app....or You Version can add that feature to the app so when you change pages on the phone it makes a page turning sound. :)

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds good to me.

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

ha! the sound file shouldn't be too long though... wouldn't want anyone to think that you couldn't find your way around the Bible!

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Tonight I was teaching during Bible study and I was using my Kindle to read the text from. But, during part of the teaching I held up the Kindle as I would a Bible and proclaimed my belief in the authority of the Bible. But, it did feel awkward.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm about 75% there...the only instances where I'm using a physical text are weddings, preaching, and some teaching. Weddings just seem too formal of an occasion not to use one. As for preaching, idk really I could reasonably go to digital text if I wanted, but it seems helpful for people to see us using a physical text.

When I'm teaching (in church settings) I went totally digital for about a year and watched as less and less people using Bibles (digital or physical) and then when I switched back more and more are using them. I like people using a text, regardless of it needs electricity.

Honestly I love digital and it far surpasses a physical text. In my hand right now (via my iPad) I have more info on the iPad (original languages, doctrinal/theological stuff, Bible studies, versions, etc) than anyone could reasonably lug around on Sundays.

I bet I'll be about 95% there in another year. :)

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

No. Never.

I only have real bibles.

I have (((zero))) *I pads* or I *pods* or *padbooks* or *bookreaders* or whatever those things are called.

I have actual books on actual bookshelves. I subscribe to actual magazines that are made with actual paper.

I also have a grand total of *ZERO* music stored on my computor or on little devices.

I have actual CD's sitting on actual shelves. :tongue3::smilewinkgrin:

#26 Alive in Christ, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Save all those things- if the Lord doesn't return and you are still alive in 40 years they might be worth something. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Alive in Christ

Ya never know. :)

But regarding books, for me...digital can never match the *real thing*.

#28 Alive in Christ, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I agree that there is *something* about having an actual book, but having them on my laptop or Kindle sure beats dragging them around with me all the time!

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do prefer to have a book but honestly, since I got my Kindle, I'm reading more because it's easy to keep a selection of books on hand, I can buy them quickly and read them right away and the storage issue is a no-brainer. My husband has allergies and a bookcase full of books is a HUGE dust collector.

There will be certain books I'll always have to have and I will continue to buy hard copies as reference but in general, I'll get them on the Kindle first.

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Someone will probably offer an application for smart phones that mimicks that sound. :laugh:

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL....for a price, yes! :laugh:

BTW....what if the battery charge goes dead?

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I understand how you feel. One of the deciding factors for me using more digital reading material is the ability to change the font size. Changing the text and background color is also nice. My old eyes just don't work as well as before.

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Time to close the service, I guess.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Koch Brothers must love you....they own Georgia Pacific. :smilewinkgrin:

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have been reading my Bible before I even get out of bed in the morning and I LOVE the ability to increase the size of the font on my iPad. Oh my goodness, do I love it!! I'd not be able to read first thing in the morning without it!

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I haven't completely converted, but close.

and chuckling at Mex ;)

18. Alive in Christ

Annsni...

I have actual, inexpensive, non-prescription reading glasses for that. :thumbs: :laugh:

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have to admit that I love gadgets. So I enjoy my Kindle and also online bibles and study helps, but I still prefer to read my leather bound, paper and ink bible. I don't know why, I just do. :love2:

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I am about 99% digital myself, though no book hater. I have a LOT of books, and read like a fiend, but study the Word via electronic means these days and have done so since the mid 1990s.

No magic in a piece of paper. It is the WORDS that are important.

One thing I actually dislike is Bible study via printed book. Just too cumbersome and likely the reason for all the bad theology out there. Too difficult to chase down references and leads, so one simply makes a bad judgment on what a particular verse says based on opinion, tradition, or faulty exegesis. I find that issue goes away when I have all my resouces at hand and easily searchable.